IGNORED

Wimbledon

JBFC II

My own personal statistic of points won on second service is somewhere very near 0%.

Other reasons I won't win Winbledon this year include the following...

Lack of fitness.

Long term back niggle.

Inability to return service with backhand.

Simple smash shots could go anywhere.

Other than the above, I could be in with a shout.

Do you know what Wawrinka has achieved over the last two years? He is a couple of adjustments away from being great on grass. Just need to see if he can do it.

Yep he got dumped out at queens in the first round as his game is not suited to grass. As for Gregor he is a mile away from winning Wimbledon.

I don't really like tennis but I'd like Federer to win because he's one of the greatest of all time in any sport. Failing that I'd like Wawrinka to win, because he's spent his entire career in the shadow of the game's greatest ever.

Neither hugely likely but you never know.

Federer isn't the squeaky clean guy his image portrays you know.

I'm not posting up here why but hasten to say I know personally that he isn't.

Anyway I think business as usual - Djokovic and Serena to win.

Then why mention it?

I didn't say I wanted him to win because he's a really great guy, but because he's the greatest of all time. Everyone I know who has met him thinks he's a really great guy but to be honest I don't really care if he's a complete helmet, it has no bearing on his ability to play the game.

I do enjoy having an Australian perspective on here but some of your replies are genuinely quite baffling. At times it's like you pick out one or two words and formulate a reply based on that. Are you sure you don't fancy a career in Irish politics? You'd be the least slippery one there but I'm sure you'd improve with practice  ;)

So, day one is over and Djokovic, Warwinka and Nishikori are the main names through from the men's draw. Brit Liam Broady fought back from 2 sets down to beat Aussie Marinko Matosevic in 5 sets, and talking of Aussies Leyton Hewitt played his last match at Wimbledon today, going down 11-9 in the 5th to Jarkko Nieminen. Other notable winners in the men's side include, U.S. Open champion Marin Cilic, Grigor Dimitrov and John Isner.

In the woman's half, Serena Williams went through with relative ease, whilst Maria Sharapova beat Joanna Konta ( another Brit) in straight sets. Naomi Broady (sister of Liam) went out in straight sets and Heather Watsons match with The Frenchwoman Charoline Garcia was suspended till tomorrow at 1 set all because of bad light. Other notable winners in the woman's side include, French Open runner up Lucie Safarova, Venus Williams (without dropping a game) and Ana Ivanovic.

Tomorrow sees Federer, Murray, Nadal, Kvitova and Halep all in action

Good to see the Aussies going out. Who were those unruly convicts making tits out of themselves at the Hewitt match earlier?

The Fanatics probably.

I didn't see it but Lleyton always used to pay for their tickets for support.

Their leader was always on Australian Open studio broadcasts.

Anyone else think the BBC have ruined the highlights show? Some gimmicky bar environment with Clare Balding presenting (original choice). Bring back John Inverdale on the roof terrace at sunset! A classy formula that didn't need changing.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I hate that Top Gear 'having a bunch of gormless berks in the background' format

I know little of tennis and have little interest, but have two queries.

1. Why do they have an unusual scoring system 0 - 15 - 30 - 40 - Adv - Game?

2. Why do players seemingly hit the ball towards the opponent?

Anyone else think the BBC have ruined the highlights show? Some gimmicky bar environment with Clare Balding presenting (original choice). Bring back John Inverdale on the roof terrace at sunset! A classy formula that didn't need changing.

Totally agree. Never liked Balding anyway but the whole set up was rubbish.

Glastonbury, then Wimbledon

Complete waste of time me having a tv licence the last couple of weeks. Watched about 2 mins of Novak yesterday, bored me senseless

Loved it as a kid, there seems to be a complete character vacuum nowadays

Can someone wake me up when Murray loses, so I can have a good laugh please

Archived