IGNORED

What Is Steve Lansdown Thinking?

Fordy62

We're all guessing and pondering and hoping over transfers this summer and nothing has happened as of yet.

It's a totally different kettle of fish this time, we're no longer the big fish who can snaffle all the best players. We're a small to average sized club who will no doubt have stiff competition for each and every signing that we want.

The Harry Maguire news is encouraging. It (allegedly) shows that he knows we need to spend to compete with the big boys. With KD's confirmation that we're interested in that calibre of player then I'm certainly perked up since 'no signings Wednesday'.

As I said in a previous thread, I wouldn't be surprised if SL had given Cotts all the financial backing in the world. He's earned it.

So what is SL thinking? Does he want to give it real crack at the big time? Is he happy to establish ourselves as a mid table championship club? Will we see an unprecedented level of spending that none of us have ever known (barring Maynard) or will it be the astute signings that we saw last season?

There's only one man who knows how serious he is about bankrolling us to the top and I would love to know what's going on inside his head.

He wants us to be a prem team when the stadium is complete, an ideal scenario would be another promotion this season with a new AG ready for premier league football; obviously it's not that simple.

But to answer your question; I have no idea! I think it will be an interesting few years.

We're all guessing and pondering and hoping over transfers this summer and nothing has happened as of yet.

It's a totally different kettle of fish this time, we're no longer the big fish who can snaffle all the best players. We're a small to average sized club who will no doubt have stiff competition for each and every signing that we want.

The Harry Maguire news is encouraging. It (allegedly) shows that he knows we need to spend to compete with the big boys. With KD's confirmation that we're interested in that calibre of player then I'm certainly perked up since 'no signings Wednesday'.

As I said in a previous thread, I wouldn't be surprised if SL had given Cotts all the financial backing in the world. He's earned it.

So what is SL thinking? Does he want to give it real crack at the big time? Is he happy to establish ourselves as a mid table championship club? Will we see an unprecedented level of spending that none of us have ever known (barring Maynard) or will it be the astute signings that we saw last season?

There's only one man who knows how serious he is about bankrolling us to the top and I would love to know what's going on inside his head.

mmmm Pizza....

He's probably thinking that he's got to make a couple of big money signing soon to stop all the awful puns / jokes on the forum about owl sanctuaries, liniment etc.  

I have it on good authority that he's refreshing otib every 30 seconds when he should be working. He's thinking "come on we need some signings, I'm anxious now...."

I can reveal my source. Suffice to say their initials are the same as Bristol Sport.... I've said too much shhhh

I think he's probably thinking-

"**** me- that's a lotta money for a central defender".

Or maybe he's thinking.."that's the sort of money I need to spend to make sure we challenge in this division. As long as fees of 2-3million are spent on proven young talent, then are are a saleable asset in the future and exactly what I want this club to be built around. I probably earn in excess of 15million per year in interest alone and can afford to really push this club on"

2016/17 season is the first where the premier league teams get the astronomical amounts of money for TV rights - therefore the teams coming down the following season will have a massive advantage.. it really will make a big difference going up this season rather than next.

If we're enquiring about people like Maguire I expect us to be going the quality over quantity route again, don't think we can pay the amount to bring in high quality and big squad. So maybe big signings and attempting to increase squad size over a couple of seasons. 

Or maybe he's thinking.."that's the sort of money I need to spend to make sure we challenge in this division. As long as fees of 2-3million are spent on proven young talent, then are are a saleable asset in the future and exactly what I want this club to be built around. I probably earn in excess of 15million per year in interest alone and can afford to really push this club on"

But then to protect said investment you want to go for a three of four year contract. In order to get him to sign that we're going to need to offer competitive wages. If it goes dud we have a long-term contract on decent wages. If all works out and we offer those then any upside on the eventual sale may have been completely wiped out by what he's cost us to play, and further if we offer those wages who else in the squad may want them.

It's not hyperbole to be a bit cautious about these sorts of signings. That said if all the work is done to ensure he'll be a good fit and wages are sensible then great.

Steve needs to be ruthless this time around, I'd want to know what the management teams plan B is in return Id then want the money to fund it.

I see him thinking

1) supply enough cash to secure championship status, consolidating over a suggested amount of seasons, each year buying and selling well enough to push for promotion via the play offs eventually

2) ride on the back of a wave of success generated last season and hope we get promoted by using a limited budget with a couple of key signings

3) spend a heap of cash, ride the wave of success from last season and hope that we do a Bournemouth

There's arguments for all 3, so far we've been linked with a Finacial mixed bag of players so everyone is definiteky guessing at our next target, personally I'd take a guess at what's the best way to sell 27,000 seats next year, in that respect I'd guess he's thinking option 3.

Steve needs to be ruthless this time around, I'd want to know what the management teams plan B is in return Id then want the money to fund it.

I see him thinking

1) supply enough cash to secure championship status, consolidating over a suggested amount of seasons, each year buying and selling well enough to push for promotion via the play offs eventually

2) ride on the back of a wave of success generated last season and hope we get promoted by using a limited budget with a couple of key signings

3) spend a heap of cash, ride the wave of success from last season and hope that we do a Bournemouth

There's arguments for all 3, so far we've been linked with a Finacial mixed bag of players so everyone is definiteky guessing at our next target, personally I'd take a guess at what's the best way to sell 27,000 seats next year, in that respect I'd guess he's thinking option 3.

I hear you squire, i hear you. I really don't care which option or if there is an option 4 or even 19 whichever one works and helps us pave the way to get rid of that god awful Atyeo stand at the earliest opportunity because we wanna be giving the away fans at least 3000 tickets when we are comfortably in the Prem. ;)

I bet he's thinking, "Jeez, this close season is  boring, lets get out there and make some signings".

I bet he is actually!

He's got a shopping list and we are on tour soon...

He's probably thinking that he's got to make a couple of big money signing soon to stop all the awful puns / jokes on the forum about owl sanctuaries, liniment etc.  

Yep! For REDOXO's sake!

Being a man with money it will be along the lines of " I wonder what's for tea" and "I wonder if Mrs lansdowns is in the mood later?"

Sauce!

What is Steve thinking, the same as the rest of us. I sure as hell don't want to be in League One again for a while.

Spot on!...Ever would be nice!!

Why all this impatience ?

I have complete faith in both SC and KB to do their jobs. Both are experienced football men who have been through plenty of close seasons before and both know how it all works.

No doubt at all that players have been identified. As long ago as March Jon Lansdown, Keith Burt and Steve Cotterill all spoke indepedantly at the senior reds lunch confirming that the wheels were in motion to strengthen the squad in preparation for this upcoming season.

The City squad only came back this week which is an indication that other clubs players are only just back as well. Until then most players were on vacation.

Relax! It'll all come together pretty soon.

I have complete faith in both SC and KB to do their jobs. Both are experienced football men who have been through plenty of close seasons before and both know how it all works.

No doubt at all that players have been identified. As long ago as March Jon Lansdown, Keith Burt and Steve Cotterill all spoke indepedantly at the senior reds lunch confirming that the wheels were in motion to strengthen the squad in preparation for this upcoming season.

The City squad only came back this week which is an indication that other clubs players are only just back as well. Until then most players were on vacation.

RR's post has been up for 12 mins and there's no sign of a 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' yet.

Ugh - that word. It's a holiday, we are not American

People at work don't have holidays anymore, they have 'annual leave' - why use two words when we have one that already works

Bloody Yank talk

Flint was in Las Vagas......no doubt plenty of other professional footballers were in the States as well.

Ha - got me there Robbo!

My 12 & 9 year olds call a 'film' a 'movie' as well.....I'm going to leave this now, gets me!

Archived