IGNORED

Getting Worried

coxyboy

I think people who aren't reading that gurt massive transfer thread think they're missing out on substantial City news. They're not. In that thread is suggestions, other team's activity and links by 12 year olds running transfer accounts on Twitter.

Everyone who is linked to us by a recognisable source has had their own dedicated thread and will continue to do so.

In that regard I log in myself at work a lot just to read the thread titles. I occasionally get drawn into the individual threads to find 50 replies of no new info have beeen added. (normally just people saying he'd be shit for us)

Exactly Ian. That is why I was a fan of having the giant speculation thread. It keeps all the dross and ridiculous rumours in one place. Anything with any actual substance will always get it's own thread, such as Maguire, Juanma, Morison etc.

No-one is missing out on anything in that thread but some folks like me do enjoy a bit of speculative fun and that thread is the best place for it.

When we got to the top flight in 76, know how many signings we made?

NONE, ZILCH ,DIDDLY SQUAT, NADER !

Seems ridiculous now.

You must also bear in mind that the transfer window did n't exist and if the players did n't perform at the new level , in principle , we could sign a replacement at any time.

• Admin

Don't think I'm going to sleep tonight now with so much worry!

Add that the ground won't be finished in time, I've not yet got my season ticket and there are no turnstiles to access the ground I think I'm going to need medication!!!

I don't see how getting promoted damages our chances of signing players. In League 1 we were able to recruit the likes of Freeman, Ayling, Smith and Little. We should be looking to do the same again - signing the best players in the lower leagues.

this.

i hope we are looking at the best from leagues 1 and 2 who would jump at the chance of championship football and not only players who are just looking to milk the highest payer and just do the rounds at this level.

The telling point is the Portugal tour. As I've previously mentioned, a lot of our success last season can be attributed to having the nucleus of our team signed and ready to link up with their new team mates and coaches on the tour last year. The time they spent out there also meant that they had to bond both on and off the pitch. If we haven't brought in any of our serious targets before we depart, then my expectations of the season ahead will drastically drop.

wouldnt surprise me if a few potential targets joined the squad in portugal where Cotts could assesss them on and off a playing field

You must also bear in mind that the transfer window did n't exist and if the players did n't perform at the new level , in principle , we could sign a replacement at any time.

Yes, that was more or less my point.

Till this "window" system came in ,the close season was very much the "close season". There wasn't that much transfer activity in the summer, certainly not from City.

Back in the 60's and 70's we'd go smmers on end , maybe signing one  player ,usually a freebie. In those days most free transfers were exactly what it said on the tin,not out of contract ,per se BUT basically .....unwanted, chucked out on the scrap-heap of football !

We are in championship now and have to be selective in signing players.

A. Will they fit in our system

B. Are they good enough

C. Can we afford them

D. Availability

Taking time over transfers will is very sensible as in January prices are inflated.

E.  They wanna come here.

When they come, they usually stay (especially the one we wish didn't - on long contracts and playing shite!).  Bristol is great but off most players' & agents radar.

We are in championship now and have to be selective in signing players.

A. Will they fit in our system

B. Are they good enough

C. Can we afford them

D. Availability

Taking time over transfers will is very sensible as in January prices are inflated.

Lets hope we don't have to wait until January then  :P

It is troubling that we have not got started, we are among only 5 clubs in the Championship not to sign anyone yet... others being Blackburn, Baadiff, Hull & Middlesbro.

Given we have lost JET and have Agard crocked, we need to start landing some soon, ideally this week before the Portugal tour.

I fancy Hull and Boro to do rather well and the other two charlies to be in or around mid to upper mid table; therefore they are probably already comfortable with their squads and aim to add quality as and when they are able without the need to overspend or panic.. much like us I would say.. and we did, one might argue, rather better than all of the above last season and have momemtum. I have no doubts we will have at least one loan signing in to replace Agard and a goal keeper backup by season commencement; other than that I, for one, am not bothered.

I don't see how getting promoted damages our chances of signing players. In League 1 we were able to recruit the likes of Freeman, Ayling, Smith and Little. We should be looking to do the same again - signing the best players in the lower leagues.

If we were doing the same again we would, largely, be signing players from the Championship or higher my friend. As I understand we are aiming to set out our stall to win this poxy league not compete; we are Premiership bound so no point fart arsing around with lower leaguers unless they are initially bench warmers or well proven.  ;)  :blink: .

All I worry about is the side not being able too create the same bond it had last season without a full summer together. The majority of our business was done in June last summer.

We were promoted very early, we've had all that extra time to prepare for the Championship, and all that's happened is we're a JET and Elliot down plus Tavanier and Saville. :(

I'll only start to worry if we have no one by the time we fly out to Portugal

Or sign a load of dross to appease fans demanding transfers being done for the sake of ot

No one is demanding transfers being done for the sake of.  No one.  However, I would expect everyone would acknowledge that the squad is too small to complete in the Championship as things stand and that we need some substantial transfer dealings before the season starts.  As your post suggests, those dealings really need to take place before the tour to Portugal if the new signings are to gel, but my impression at the moment is that we are struggling to do deals.  Cotterill made it clear last summer that he likes to do deals early, and we are now almost alone in the Championship in not having signed anyone.  If we sign a load of dross, it won't be the fans' fault.

No one is demanding transfers being done for the sake of.  No one.  However, I would expect everyone would acknowledge that the squad is too small to complete in the Championship as things stand and that we need some substantial transfer dealings before the season starts.  As your post suggests, those dealings really need to take place before the tour to Portugal if the new signings are to gel, but my impression at the moment is that we are struggling to do deals.  Cotterill made it clear last summer that he likes to do deals early, and we are now almost alone in the Championship in not having signed anyone.  If we sign a load of dross, it won't be the fans' fault.

Do you really think the club aren't actively working to bring some ones invited?

Cotterill and burt also made it pretty clear that this season most deals won't be done until the end of the window something you are ignoring

We are at the bottom of the pecking order in the championship we were at the top in league one it really is that simple yet you chose to ignore that

There are 5 other clubs in the championship who haven't signed anyone 4 of which are much bigger then us

It's pointless comparing the clubs current lack of transfer activity with the early signings last summer since we are in a totally different situation now than then. Last year the team needed a complete overhaul. Now in Fielding, Flint, Ayling, Smith, Bryan and Freeman we already have a solid spine to the team and need say 3 quality additions. 

Do you really think the club aren't actively working to bring some ones invited?

Cotterill and burt also made it pretty clear that this season most deals won't be done until the end of the window something you are ignoring

We are at the bottom of the pecking order in the championship we were at the top in league one it really is that simple yet you chose to ignore that

There are 5 other clubs in the championship who haven't signed anyone 4 of which are much bigger then us

I'm sure they're actively working to bring new signings in, but people are worried by the apparent lack of progress.  That strikes me as quite understandable.  They may indeed pull several rabbits out of the hat and surprise us all, but who knows?  The club media department certainly aren't giving us anything to go on, and Cotterill is presently as tight-lipped as any City manager I can remember.

I don't necessarily agree that we are at the bottom of the pecking order.  At the end of last season we were being talked up as having a real chance of doing something in the Championship this year.  We are not a Rotherham and not a MK Dons.  We are a club with a clear intention to go places, with significant investment being made, who might bear comparison with clubs like Swansea and Southampton in recent years.  As such, I would have hoped we could have attracted ambitious players, as we did last year. If we had come with a late run to the play-offs and just sneaked through last season, I could understand us being unprepared for the transfer market but let's face it, we've been pretty confident of promotion since March and therefore have had a lot of time to plan our transfer activity.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but one can't help suspect that we had a transfer strategy that has gone t*ts-up, and are now playing catch-up in a big way.

Amusing thread.

Same every year, people panicking.

At least people aren't slagging off the club or SC for lack of activity........well, not yet but it will come.

As Cotterill said some time ago, the transfer activity will be totally different to last season and most of the business will be completed later rather than sooner and mentioned the end of July. 

It won't stop the usual boring "another one we've missed out on" brigade though.

No, no, no!  The point is that it isn't the same every year.  It certainly wasn't the same last year, and I think that is precisely why some people are worried.  The last time we made panic signings was under Coppell, and I wouldn't want us to end up in that dreadful position again, but with no news from the club and time marching on is it really so surprising that people are worried?

He read all the awful puns on the forum and changed his mind.

..what? He didn't find it bunny?

Everyone on here found it hilarious, maybe our Ad in the Trade-it should read:

Footballers urgently required, several positions available, must have GSOH, generous food voucher scheme, Apply in person asap - Ashton Gate.

..what? He didn't find it bunny?

Everyone on here found it hilarious, maybe our Ad in the Trade-it should read:

Footballers urgently required, several positions available, must have GSOH, generous food voucher scheme, Apply in person asap - Ashton Gate.

I think he was more upset that we didn't go off down the song name route tbh

What's the point of worrying, it's Cotterill's job not mine. He isn't giving 'woe is me' interviews or panic buying, so let's just leave it to him.

Too right. It's going to go two ways.

- We'll sign players - Cotts will come out and say it's been frustrating and we missed out on a few because we aren't going to be held ransom.

- We'll sign players (5 in one hit) - Cotts will say nothing apart from we wanted to get the right ones.

Too right. It's going to go two ways.

- We'll sign players - Cotts will come out and say it's been frustrating and we missed out on a few because we aren't going to be held ransom.

- We'll sign players (5 in one hit) - Cotts will say nothing apart from we wanted to get the right ones.

Third option:

-We weren't able to bring in the players we targeted this summer as despite being L1 champions, and cup winners, players would rather sit on the bench at Wolves and earn 15k a week

Archived