IGNORED

Former-Pros At Non-League Clubs

Ben4BCFC

I used to play for Frome at Badgers Hill in the former Western League. One of the best players I came up against was our very own Alan Walsh when he played for Taunton Town. He was about 38 then & playing left mid for Calne Town & me right mid so I was marking my hero! He had no pace but he oozes class. He was a real gent as well. A true legend. The Screwfix league now is very poor but back then it was strong.

I used to play for Frome at Badgers Hill in the former Western League. One of the best players I came up against was our very own Alan Walsh when he played for Taunton Town. He was about 38 then & playing left mid for Calne Town & me right mid so I was marking my hero! He had no pace but he oozes class. He was a real gent as well. A true legend. The Screwfix league now is very poor but back then it was strong.

Which team?

Ex City and Gas striker Josh Klein Davis plays for Taunton Town now and player/ Asst manager is one Michael Meaker ex gas, Reading, QPR etc. have seen loads of ex pros at non league level. As someone else said, Gavin Williams at Merthyr was still class last season and I saw one time City 'wonderboy' Frankie Artus play for Hereford last season too.

I thought he'd retired from football. I dod remember when he burst on teh scene at Rovers he lashed a few thunderbolts from 30 yards and you sort of wondered if Rovers had another gem they could sell on.

No denying he was that footballer in Skins thou. Renault Megan Coupe innit..

I remember that bit in Skins too... :laugh:

Ex City and Gas striker Josh Klein Davis plays for Taunton Town now and player/ Asst manager is one Michael Meaker ex gas, Reading, QPR etc. have seen loads of ex pros at non league level. As someone else said, Gavin Williams at Merthyr was still class last season and I saw one time City 'wonderboy' Frankie Artus play for Hereford last season too.

Klein Davies was at Paulton the season before last and the first half of last season. Struggled to break into the team!! On a side note Aaron Brown is now the player / assistant manager over Paulton and played on Monday night when they beat the Gas 4-0.

I thought he'd retired from football.  I dod remember when he burst on teh scene at Rovers he lashed a few thunderbolts from 30 yards and you sort of wondered if Rovers had another gem they could sell on.

No denying he was that footballer in Skins thou. Renault Megan Coupe innit..

He did retire. Last season in fact, however he came back.

I can remember watching my mate play against ex-England international Graham Roberts about 15 years ago. I think he was player manager of Taunton at the time.

Roberts clattered my mate in the first few minutes but then proceeded to get absolutely battered around the pitch for the rest of the half. In fact, Roberts got such a run around he subbed himself at half time.

Trowbridge once made it to the Conference. Their first game was away to Altrincham, then the top non league side in the country.

Trowbridge won 1-0 and secured three players with Division 1 experience, the least experienced of whom was ex City favourite Trevor Tainton.

Sadly those three, all playing in midfield, hit the ball to where they expected a team mate to be, but the remainder of the Trowbridge team weren't good enough for them and they slid back down to lower leagues.

Good old Trowbridge, the council well and truly did them over with the old ground and finances. For a Town its size its miles behind Bradford, Westbury and Warminster.

Can't compare to how it used to be, but there's some strong teams in the screw fix, especially the prem.

Melksham should have gone up last year but for their new ground not being ready and they were a class above everyone.

It's pleasing that a good percentage of the Melksham squad are products of the Shaw& Whitley and Melksham Park youth set-ups of the mid/late nineties.  A few of those youngsters were picked up by higher level clubs and are now returning to play alongside their mates who stayed.  Must be a  big personal pride for the likes of Robbo, Coops and many other 'parent / managers' who brought their squads up through the age groups at the time.  Hope this success continues.  Let's also hope that bcfc hit a rich streak from their developing youngsters as well.  COYR

JackofromRugby (former Chairman - Shaw & Whitley Youth FC as was)

Anyone know what Tommy Doc's doing nowadays?

Financial Advisor (I think).

I once played in a Sunday league team in Sheffield and played against David Hirst and Chris Waddle.let's just say it was too easy for them and leave it at that.

Played a few times against Scott Murray at the league up at Clifton College and was doing okay until he started to be bothered, smashing a few goals into the top corner.

The Melksham side that won the Screwfix Prem last season would have been in the bottom 6 of that league back in the late 80's/early 90's. Look at the teams that have been promoted upwards: Tiverton, Chippenham, Taunton, Bideford, Frome, Bridgwater & more.

As for the financing it's only a few clubs that pay well (Bradford I do know). A lot pay virtually zero now. Melksham for example have a tiny budget & far less than when I played for them in the early 90's.

Jordan up front is prolific for BOA but seems content to pick up easy cash rather than try his hand at a higher level. They are backed well by three guys (involved in businesses in Trowbridge) but there has been zero investment on the ground or facilities. It's the same place I played on as a wee lad.

Financial Advisor (I think).

I once played in a Sunday league team in Sheffield and played against David Hirst and Chris Waddle.let's just say it was too easy for them and leave it at that.

Played a few times against Scott Murray at the league up at Clifton College and was doing okay until he started to be bothered, smashing a few goals into the top corner.

What with Michael Mcindoe ?  :thumbsup:  - Sorry I couldn't resist 

Archived