IGNORED

Former-Pros At Non-League Clubs

Ben4BCFC

Tonight I went to watch my old team Street FC play this evening and the faced a Frome Town side with Lewis Haldane once of the Blue Few in the starting lineup.

Admittedly it's early in pre-season and it could have just been an off day, but truly he was shocking. G*s or not, he played at a pretty decent level for much of his career, one most of us could only dream of, and yet at only 30 he was certainly not the best player on the pitch. Not by a long chalk. Yet you'd thing a player of his background would stand out against non-league semi-pros/amateurs quite markedly. But not so. In fact on occasion, he was marked out of the game quite comfortably by lads I've had kickarounds with in the park for a laugh.

And it made me wonder, have any of you lot seen or played with any ex-players (City or otherwise) at non-league level and if so, how did they fair?

On a side note - ex-City player Paul Thorpe was Frome's Asst. Manager.

You've only got to look at Michael Johnson formerly of Man City to know that players can lose it for whatever reason. I've known lads to be on YTS at a professional club who ust a couple of years later are getting done over on the Downs by some guy who looks like he was in the pub an hour before KO.

I saw Lee Hendrie play for Daventry Town a couple of seasons back.  Still oozed class, never broke a sweat but could really pick a pass.  His younger brother Stewie signed at the same time (on loan) and he was definitely out of the same milkman.  

David Seal used to regularly tear teams a new one while at Mangotsfield

I see that David Seal's wiki page states he is no relation to Seal (the musician). Thought I'd point that out in case any of us were confused!

Also, he finished up at Melksham. Does anyone know whether he's still in our part of the world?

There was a period a couple of years back where Alex Meechan seemed to play for every single team in the Conference North. I think he's retired now though. I also heard the other week that Kayode Odejayi had signed for Stockport County.

You've only got to look at Michael Johnson formerly of Man City to know that players can lose it for whatever reason. I've known lads to be on YTS at a professional club who ust a couple of years later are getting done over on the Downs by some guy who looks like he was in the pub an hour before KO.

Agreed. I should have pointed out that there didn't look to be anything wrong with Haldane fitness wise (although he was struggling with a knock towards the end), he just couldn't finish his dinner and - as I imagine invariably happens when ex-pros move down the leagues - he was so selfish on the ball that he often missed good opportunities to play his teammates in.

He was more than prolific at Yate mind you.

I see that David Seal's wiki page states he is no relation to Seal (the musician). Thought I'd point that out in case any of us were confused!

Also, he finished up at Melksham. Does anyone know whether he's still in our part of the world?

He currently works up at Whitchurch action indoor sports. He occasionally joins in if you need a player and can certainly still finish!

I remember watching tony Daley at forest green he was absolutely shocking every time I saw him. Know it's not really relevant but watched macheda playing for Cardiff last week against Fgr and he looked awful so off the pace. Couldn't believe he was the same player who burst on the scene a few years ago at Man Utd

Tonight I went to watch my old team Street FC play this evening and the faced a Frome Town side with Lewis Haldane once of the Blue Few in the starting lineup.

Admittedly it's early in pre-season and it could have just been an off day, but truly he was shocking. G*s or not, he played at a pretty decent level for much of his career, one most of us could only dream of, and yet at only 30 he was certainly not the best player on the pitch. Not by a long chalk. Yet you'd thing a player of his background would stand out against non-league semi-pros/amateurs quite markedly. But not so. In fact on occasion, he was marked out of the game quite comfortably by lads I've had kickarounds with in the park for a laugh.

And it made me wonder, have any of you lot seen or played with any ex-players (City or otherwise) at non-league level and if so, how did they fair?

On a side note - ex-City player Paul Thorpe was Frome's Asst. Manager.

I may be having a senile moment but I can't remember a Paul Thorpe playing for City...can someone enlighten me?

Cheers

I may be having a senile moment but I can't remember a Paul Thorpe playing for City...can someone enlighten me?

Cheers

To be fair, I didn't know him but a lot of my mates knew of him. Don't know how much he actually played for us but was in the 80s and then he went off to Yeovil to play under Gow and alongside Tom Ritchie, Cheesley and Ian Botham.

Agreed. I should have pointed out that there didn't look to be anything wrong with Haldane fitness wise (although he was struggling with a knock towards the end), he just couldn't finish his dinner and - as I imagine invariably happens when ex-pros move down the leagues - he was so selfish on the ball that he often missed good opportunities to play his teammates in.

He was more than prolific at Yate mind you.

I thought he'd retired from football.  I dod remember when he burst on teh scene at Rovers he lashed a few thunderbolts from 30 yards and you sort of wondered if Rovers had another gem they could sell on.

No denying he was that footballer in Skins thou. Renault Megan Coupe innit..

I thought he'd retired from football.  I dod remember when he burst on teh scene at Rovers he lashed a few thunderbolts from 30 yards and you sort of wondered if Rovers had another gem they could sell on.

No denying he was that footballer in Skins thou. Renault Megan Coupe innit..

He retired as a professional with the FA but can still play up to Conference level. Had a really bad injury(Elekobi styly) at Port Vale and couldn't return to the same level.

Back in the 70's my dad and I used to go to watch Bath City regularly as an alternative to away trips. We used to see lots of ex-pros playing out the end of their careers. The best was Ian Storey-Moore who had played for Forest and Man U, but had been forced to retire through injury. Watching him run the game despite this career ending injury made me realise how big the gulf in class was in those days.

To be fair, I didn't know him but a lot of my mates knew of him. Don't know how much he actually played for us but was in the 80s and then he went off to Yeovil to play under Gow and alongside Tom Ritchie, Cheesley and Ian Botham.

I've never heard of Paul Thorpe, certainly don't remember him playing for City's 1st team.

Found an old Yeovil article with a picture of Thorpe -  looks to me like he was released by City and signed by Yeovil as a young player without making any impression at AG. Ian MacFarlane was the manager.

Cheese, Tom Ritchie and Jon Economou appear to have gone to Yeovil about the same time.

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/history/yeovil-town-story40.asp

I played against Andy Gurney last season, he had to step in as player manager due to a late injury in warm up.

Even at his age, one of the best players I've played against. Could tell he was ex-pro, absolute different class. Nasty c*** as well

Also played against Sam Jordan in his 72 goal season year before last, I'm amazed he isn't playing higher.

Trowbridge once made it to the Conference. Their first game was away to Altrincham, then the top non league side in the country.

Trowbridge won 1-0 and secured three players with Division 1 experience, the least experienced of whom was ex City favourite Trevor Tainton.

Sadly those three, all playing in midfield, hit the ball to where they expected a team mate to be, but the remainder of the Trowbridge team weren't good enough for them and they slid back down to lower leagues.

I saw Scott Murray play for Bath City against Cambridge United a few seasons back.

He was only sub but came on at half-time when both teams were dire and kept playing the ball out for a throw.

He won a free-kick on the edge of the area within minutes of coming on. Then he scored one of his trademark goals by latching onto a through-ball, out-pacing the defenders and finishing in the corner. He also won a penalty when his cross was handled, which was scored and Bath won 4-0.

It was similar to his performance against Cambridge while playing for us a few years earlier - and we also won by a four-goal margin that day, 6-2.

Archived