IGNORED

World Cup Draw - Tv Does It Again

steveybadger

World Cup qualifying draw today - England as top seeds have more chance of getting Italy or France who are second seeds (2 in 7 chance) than Wales (2 in 9 chance) even though Wales are also top seeds. This is because UEFA requested the 'big' nations be put in 1 of the 7 x 6 team groups rather than the 2 x 5 team groups. Ok not much difference but still some. I don't know why I was surprised really, just another example of TV having too much influence I guess.....

I have a solution to this problem - scrap seeding

One big pot, pull the ******* names out and get on with it. I despise seeding in every way imaginable

It's like F1, biggest waste of time on the planet. Put the best / quickest drivers at the back. See how good they are then

It's like F1, biggest waste of time on the planet. Put the best / quickest drivers at the back. See how good they are then

Each race should start with the cars on the grid in the reverse of the finishing positions in the previous race, long been my opinion.

Agree with all who hate seeding.

Same with the FA Cup, just chuck all the teams into a hat and draw them out. See how much Chelsea like to play at Paulton Rovers with their allocation of thirty away tickets!

Yep before anyone pipes up, I know police etc wouldn't allow it but it would be fun.

And as far as the World Cup goes, so what if we end with a qualifying group that includes Germany, France, Italy and Spain?

We might as well scrap qualifying and just choose the best countries to go straight to the Finals tournament.

World Cup qualifying draw today - England as top seeds have more chance of getting Italy or France who are second seeds (2 in 7 chance) than Wales (2 in 9 chance) even though Wales are also top seeds. This is because UEFA requested the 'big' nations be put in 1 of the 7 x 6 team groups rather than the 2 x 5 team groups. Ok not much difference but still some. I don't know why I was surprised really, just another example of TV having too much influence I guess.....

:englandflag: OH I thought sky tv were in charge for some reason!!! :englandflag:

Same with the FA Cup, just chuck all the teams into a hat and draw them out. See how much Chelsea like to play at Paulton Rovers with their allocation of thirty away tickets!

Yep before anyone pipes up, I know police etc wouldn't allow it but it would be fun.

And as far as the World Cup goes, so what if we end with a qualifying group that includes Germany, France, Italy and Spain?

We might as well scrap qualifying and just choose the best countries to go straight to the Finals tournament.

Or Euro 2016 qualifying, as it's otherwise known!

Each race should start with the cars on the grid in the reverse of the finishing positions in the previous race, long been my opinion.

No, slightly modified to the old way having the drivers run from a start point to their car first ( preferably 100 metres ). Prior to this throw all the starting keys into a pile and have a big scramble for them and it's pot luck which car you get.

Surely got to be better than putting the fastest car on an open track in the front for the race.

So everyone on this thread saying scrap seeding would look forward to a World Cup finals group game between Norway and Bolivia as much as they would one between Spain and Argentina then?

I am in favour of seeding for World Cup and Euro qualifying groups. Would you really want to watch a World Cup finals with Luxembourg, Latvia and Austria but no Italy, France or Holland, because the big boys had all been drawn in a qualifying group together and only one could qualify? I certainly wouldn't. The World Cup is the pinnacle of the global game and I want to see the best teams with the best players all there, competing against each other for the biggest prize in football. Seeding teams is a way of ensuring this happens. It's a romantic idea to scrap seeding, but the reality is it would potentially make for a much poorer finals.

The FA Cup is different and not having seeds is what makes it unique and different.

Don't they do that in GP3 or something?

I'm pretty sure touring cars do something along those lines.

The first 6 ( I think) from race 1 start the next race in reverse positions. They also handicap them further by carrying extra weight, so perhaps this is the way to go with Messi or Ronaldo having to carry an extra 40ibs of ballast!

No idea, my knowledge of motorsport when it's anything other than F1 is patchy at best

I'm pretty sure Bristol Sports Dino Z did an article once when he was in GP3 and he said something like he finished 2nd in a race which then ment he started 2nd from last in the next race. That's the way F1 needs to go but doubt the bigger teams will ever agree. F1 is a bit stale and having a reverse grid would create more over takes and open up the grid a little.

Why is anyone bothered about England participating in anything to do with FIFA.

Certainly not renewing my England membership and supporting a World Cup that the Russians won through bribery.

To be fair, it was probably their turn anyway. But Qatar ?

I'm pretty sure touring cars do something along those lines.

The first 6 ( I think) from race 1 start the next race in reverse positions. They also handicap them further by carrying extra weight, so perhaps this is the way to go with Messi or Ronaldo having to carry an extra 40ibs of ballast!

And borrowed boots.

OK looking at the draw, let's predict the top two in each group.

A. Holland & France.

B. Portugal & Swiss or Hungary.

C. Germany & Czech or Norway.

D. Hard to predict; any two of Austria, Serbia & Ireland.

E. Denmark & Poland.

F. England & Slovakia.

G. Spain & Italy.

H. Belgium & Bosnia (Bosnia are the best or a poor bunch)

I. Finland & Iceland are the only two without a chance of progressing.

Azerbaijan don't seem to be playing this time, but Kazakhstan are. Why? I thought both nations were more Asian than European.

Over to you for your predictions.

Azerbaijan don't seem to be playing this time, but Kazakhstan are. Why? I thought both nations were more Asian than European.

Over to you for your predictions.

Yes, I wondered about that. So I went, as one does, to Wikipedia:

"the Republic of Kazakhstan, is a country in Central Asia, with a minor part west of the Ural River and thus in Europe"

I guess it's like Turkey.

PS Azerbaijan is in.

PPS WTF are Wales doing in Pot 1?

A joke draw. England always get an easy group, but then they always balls it up when they come up against proper teams

Yep agree another joke draw...the thing about the qualifiers is that someone like Rooney will no doubt extend his lead at the top of the england scoring charts by 10....it does call into question the fact that back in Bobby charltons days there were no Faroe islands, San marino, Slovenia... And the main powerhouses were stronger, also international players play much more games in the present era.

I'm not saying Rooney is a bad player or not deserving of the record but I think it's a lot easier to score goals in internationals these days, he will soon be the highest goal scorer and most capped player in English history but has never performed in a major tournament other than euro 2004...which does annoy me, when compared to charlton or lineker

• Admin

Yep agree another joke draw...the thing about the qualifiers is that someone like Rooney will no doubt extend his lead at the top of the england scoring charts by 10....it does call into question the fact that back in Bobby charltons days there were no Faroe islands, San marino, Slovenia... And the main powerhouses were stronger, also international players play much more games in the present era.

I'm not saying Rooney is a bad player or not deserving of the record but I think it's a lot easier to score goals in internationals these days, he will soon be the highest goal scorer and most capped player in English history but has never performed in a major tournament other than euro 2004...which does annoy me, when compared to charlton or lineker

You say that but just 14 of Charlton's goals came in World Cup or Euro Championship matchs (finals OR qualifiers). And 5 of those came against Luxembourg.

Yep gotta agree with that

Utter nonesense

Archived