IGNORED

World Cup Draw - Tv Does It Again

steveybadger

OK looking at the draw, let's predict the top two in each group.

A. Holland & France. - Can't write off Sweden in this group.

B. Portugal & Swiss or Hungary. - Hungary are terrible

C. Germany & Czech or Norway. - Norway are rubbish atm.

D. Hard to predict; any two of Austria, Serbia & Ireland. - Why don't Wales have a chance? - They're the top seeds in the group.

E. Denmark & Poland.

F. England & Slovakia.

G. Spain & Italy.

H. Belgium & Bosnia (Bosnia are the best or a poor bunch)

I. Finland & Iceland are the only two without a chance of progressing. - Iceland certainly have a chance

Azerbaijan don't seem to be playing this time, but Kazakhstan are. Why? I thought both nations were more Asian than European.

Over to you for your predictions.

My notes above...

Slovenia again. Have we not had Lithuania and Slovakia in recent times as well? Easiest group of the lot and will win it by a country mile.

But frankly i am not really interested. Anything to do with splatter features can be shoved up where the sun don't shine and as for that anaemic cat face posing as a President of a banana republic he can go eat 5hit.

Slovenia again. Have we not had Lithuania and Slovakia in recent times as well? Easiest group of the lot and will win it by a country mile.

But frankly i am not really interested. Anything to do with splatter features can be shoved up where the sun don't shine and as for that anaemic cat face posing as a President of a banana republic he can go eat 5hit.

So everyone on this thread saying scrap seeding would look forward to a World Cup finals group game between Norway and Bolivia as much as they would one between Spain and Argentina then?

I am in favour of seeding for World Cup and Euro qualifying groups. Would you really want to watch a World Cup finals with Luxembourg, Latvia and Austria but no Italy, France or Holland, because the big boys had all been drawn in a qualifying group together and only one could qualify? I certainly wouldn't. The World Cup is the pinnacle of the global game and I want to see the best teams with the best players all there, competing against each other for the biggest prize in football. Seeding teams is a way of ensuring this happens. It's a romantic idea to scrap seeding, but the reality is it would potentially make for a much poorer finals.

The FA Cup is different and not having seeds is what makes it unique and different.

Yep, would love to see Luxembourg play Latvia in the finals, might just bring football along in those countries a bit more. Had enough of watching Italy scrape a 0-0 with Sweden, dull as

A well reasoned argument...well done

Yeah apologies for that - had a few beers and all that

I get frustrated with people always looking to have a pop at Rooney, I don't get it,

Rooney (for me) is a quality player who does not get the recognition he deserves, I suspect his record would stack up, Lineker for example scored 25 or 26 of his goals in freindlys.

Whilst I can't comment on Charlton

as never watched him I would wonder if the opposition was as good as it is now, players are 100x fitter, don't smoke or drink as much etc.

He's also a player like Beckham who turns up for every game if they can and he also has no influence on who we play so not his fault who he scores against, he's also scored against top 10 sides which I see was not pointed out.

Comparing players of different eras is hard

I get frustrated with people always looking to have a pop at Rooney, I don't get it,

Rooney (for me) is a quality player who does not get the recognition he deserves, I suspect his record would stack up, Lineker for example scored 25 or 26 of his goals in freindlys.

Whilst I can't comment on Moore as never watched him I would wonder if the opposition was as good as it is now, players are 100x fitter, don't smoke or drink as much etc.

He's also a player like Beckham who turns up for every game if they can and he also has no influence on who we play so not his fault who he scores against, he's also scored against top 10 sides which I see was not pointed out.

Moore was a defender

Yep agree another joke draw...the thing about the qualifiers is that someone like Rooney will no doubt extend his lead at the top of the england scoring charts by 10....it does call into question the fact that back in Bobby charltons days there were no Faroe islands, San marino, Slovenia... And the main powerhouses were stronger, also international players play much more games in the present era.

I'm not saying Rooney is a bad player or not deserving of the record but I think it's a lot easier to score goals in internationals these days, he will soon be the highest goal scorer and most capped player in English history but has never performed in a major tournament other than euro 2004...which does annoy me, when compared to charlton or lineker

People really need to get there facts before posting like this!

Whilst I can't comment on Charlton

as never watched him I would wonder if the opposition was as good as it is now, players are 100x fitter, don't smoke or drink as much etc.

Good post! The stick Rooney gets amazes me! People say he don't care about England, just watch his celebrations! He cares!

OK looking at the draw, let's predict the top two in each group.

A. Holland & France.

B. Portugal & Swiss or Hungary.

C. Germany & Czech or Norway.

D. Hard to predict; any two of Austria, Serbia & Ireland.

E. Denmark & Poland.

F. England & Slovakia.

G. Spain & Italy.

H. Belgium & Bosnia (Bosnia are the best or a poor bunch)

I. Finland & Iceland are the only two without a chance of progressing.

Azerbaijan don't seem to be playing this time, but Kazakhstan are. Why? I thought both nations were more Asian than European.

Over to you for your predictions.

We have no chance. Wales, Serbia and maybe Austria are all better than us.

As long as Wales don't

World Cup qualifying draw today - England as top seeds have more chance of getting Italy or France who are second seeds (2 in 7 chance) than Wales (2 in 9 chance) even though Wales are also top seeds. This is because UEFA requested the 'big' nations be put in 1 of the 7 x 6 team groups rather than the 2 x 5 team groups. Ok not much difference but still some. I don't know why I was surprised really, just another example of TV having too much influence I guess.....

It's Wales though so sorry to sound rude but GOOD!

All joking aside its a very valid point, it's all got a little ridiculous really.

I'm in a favour of a seeding arrangement but it needs to be overhauled, it'd be more interesting if their were only a limited amount of seeds worldwide, it's pretty ridiculous that any of the home nations are seeded really, we are all crap; average at best even in European context yet alone the world stage.

I've read elsewhere that we have regional qualifying groups as the World Cup started in 1930 when teams had to travel by boat to the finals. Given the jet airliners of today, we could have world wide qualifying groups.

This would mean a nation such as Argentina won't have to play off v Australia for a place in the finals (as has happened) whilst Iran go straight through by beating their neighbouring countries.

Going back a few posts and being cynical in the extreme; following the break up of the USSR, did Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan opt to join UEFA as the gate money would be better than if playing against fellow Central Asian nations? 

The seedings are a joke. Wales were first seeds. Italy and France 2nd seeds.

There have been 28 tournaments since Wales last qualified for a tournament. In that time France have won 1 World cup, 2 Euros, lost a World cup final reached 2 world cup semis, 2 Euro semis, 2 World cup quarter finals, 2 Euro quarter finals. Italy have won 2 world cups, 1 Euro, lost 2 World cup finals, lost 2 Euro finals, 2 world cup semis, 1 world cup quarter final, 2 Euro semi finals.

Also, Wales are higher ranked than Spain. What a shambles.

The seedings are a joke. Wales were first seeds. Italy and France 2nd seeds.

There have been 28 tournaments since Wales last qualified for a tournament. In that time France have won 1 World cup, 2 Euros, lost a World cup final reached 2 world cup semis, 2 Euro semis, 2 World cup quarter finals, 2 Euro quarter finals. Italy have won 2 world cups, 1 Euro, lost 2 World cup finals, lost 2 Euro finals, 2 world cup semis, 1 world cup quarter final, 2 Euro semi finals.

Also, Wales are higher ranked than Spain. What a shambles.

Rightly history isn't take. Into account recent form is, Wales recent form is prob the best in the world at the moment while Spain Italy and France have all been struggling

Spain losing to Holland France, Germany and Slovakia

France losing to Albania, Belgium Denmark Brazil and Sweden

Italy losing to Portugal and drawing 4 of their last 5

• Admin

There's a couple of boring groups but also a couple of crackers. England's path looks pretty straightforward (boring) but for those that travel away, as Strachan put it, they're some of the easier central countries to get to so shouldn't break the bank.

Wales being seeded is a great example to the smaller nations that if you can put together a little bit of a winning run you can break the traditional seeding groups and get a slightly better chance of qualifying.

Rightly history isn't take. Into account recent form is, Wales recent form is prob the best in the world at the moment while Spain Italy and France have all been struggling

Spain losing to Holland France, Germany and Slovakia

France losing to Albania, Belgium Denmark Brazil and Sweden

Italy losing to Portugal and drawing 4 of their last 5

Sorry but that's not the case. They're below Chile who've just won the Copa America. Apart from Belgium, who have they beaten? Israel. Andorra. Cyprus. Wow.

Form should be part of it but the seeding system should be balanced to place greater emphasis on tournament results. They are the real thing.

Sorry but that's not the case. They're below Chile who've just won the Copa America. Apart from Belgium, who have they beaten? Israel. Andorra. Cyprus. Wow.

Form should be part of it but the seeding system should be balanced to place greater emphasis on tournament results. They are the real thing.

Greater emphasis is placed on competitive results,

You can't just use tourney football because not everyone is involved,

Chile for example prior to the copa America chile had lost to Iran and Brazil

Archived