IGNORED

Bobby Reid

EmersonsRed

I think this kid is good enough for the Championship. Having watched him closely whenever I can his technical ability is really up there, his only problem has been physically. Anybody who knows football knows that League One is by far and away the most physical league in England (professionally anyway), in the Championship you get much more time on the ball and you're shown more respect by opponents. 

Let's not write the kid off, all I've seen is negative comments about him. Watch.

I think this kid is good enough for the Championship. Having watched him closely whenever I can his technical ability is really up there, his only problem has been physically. Anybody who knows football knows that League One is by far and away the most physical league in England (professionally anyway), in the Championship you get much more time on the ball and you're shown more respect by opponents. 

Let's not write the kid off, all I've seen is negative comments about him. Watch.

Is that a thing? Or have you made it up as faux back-up to your point...

As for Reid, haven't seen him enough to judge, but I wouldn't write him off.

Oh come on, look at the amount of fouls in leagues...

Edit: bookings too.

I felt like biting, so I bothered to do as you suggest...

Last season: Fouls in the championship: 24888    -----  Fouls in League 1: 24264

Other seasons it's pretty consistent.

I'll refer back to your original statement of "Anybody who knows football knows that League One is by far and away the most physical league in England" and say that I don't think that's true at all. Got nothing to do with Bobby Reid mind you...

Reid is far from a youngster, 22 and will be 23 in February...

I know some Plymouth Argyle season ticket holders who said he was fantastic in his first loan spell there but didnt have the same impact when he went back for the second time.

Make or break this season. Needs to take his chance. Use Jo Bryan as inspiration. Joes not the biggest but can mix it with the big guys

I think that is wholly missing the point - Joe Bryan spent much of the off-season 12 months ago in the gym beefing up and it showed last season. He is not 'not the biggest', it's a myth that he's on the smaller side etc etc. Just a) watch him against opponents physically shoulder-charging them within the laws of the game and b) look at his injury record. Bobby Reid, however, is shorter and smaller in 'beef'. Plus when does he really ever affect a game? I'm all for him being given a chance, but not at the risk of us sliding down the division. If he can demonstrate an ability to be decisive and involved in scoring goals and setting them up, play him. If not, he's had long enough to show what he's got.

Reid is far from a youngster, 22 and will be 23 in February...

I know some Plymouth Argyle season ticket holders who said he was fantastic in his first loan spell there but didnt have the same impact when he went back for the second time.

Exactly he is not a youngster anymore and has not pulled up any trees anywhere he has been...he will be out of his depth at this level, I have more hope for burns and think he is quite a raw talent that can develop....but if Reid isn't anywhere near our first team at this stage of his career then I would suggest he is league 2 standard

Exactly he is not a youngster anymore and has not pulled up any trees anywhere he has been...he will be out of his depth at this level, I have more hope for burns and think he is quite a raw talent that can develop....but if Reid isn't anywhere near our first team at this stage of his career then I would suggest he is league 2 standard

I think if Burns can be considered worthy of giving a chance, then so can Reid; Burns wasn't able to command a regular spot in any of the sides (some terribly poor) he went on loan to last season, while Reid started most games and contributed to a side who made the playoffs in league two.

Not say either will be good enough here, but certainly don't think I've seen anything from Burns to suggest he's better placed to kick on than with Reid.

Imagine both might get a shot at squad places at the start of the season, and the gaffer will react accordingly, i.e. freeing them up for loans lower down if they fail to make the grade, and fill their spots with loans.

I am not a believer that Bobby's physicality is a problem, just play him in a position with very few defensive tasks and he will be fine, being "small" has never been a problem for Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and the likes. If a player is good enough he will play...

For me i think Bobby has the ability to be a Championship player i just think he should have had more games at League 1 level at this stage of his career to build up his confidence and gain some experience.

I would not be too disappointed to see him in our starting 11 at the start of the season, given a chance he could step up and be a regular!

I think that is wholly missing the point - Joe Bryan spent much of the off-season 12 months ago in the gym beefing up and it showed last season. He is not 'not the biggest', it's a myth that he's on the smaller side etc etc. Just a) watch him against opponents physically shoulder-charging them within the laws of the game and b) look at his injury record. Bobby Reid, however, is shorter and smaller in 'beef'. Plus when does he really ever affect a game? I'm all for him being given a chance, but not at the risk of us sliding down the division. If he can demonstrate an ability to be decisive and involved in scoring goals and setting them up, play him. If not, he's had long enough to show what he's got.

I agree with what your saying mostly, not to use Joe as an inspiration would be silly. People forget Joe was in the team than out the team and then loaned out to Plymouth. He came back and earned his starting place. I think bobby Reid has had many chances so hopefully (like Joe Bryan) he comes back after being on loan and takes his chance of being in the squad. Physically Joe has got stronger agreed, bobby will need to do the same. Steve cotterill would never just play bobby reid for the sake off, he will have to do so on merit. Jury still out for me

All they need is regular game time to grow as players. We haven't seen them improve as we haven't given them a huge chance to and the loans didn't offer anything better either. More consistent game time will see Bobby and wes improve dramatically I'm sure.

Can only wait to see what happens on the transfer front

I wouldn't say you get 'a lot more time on the ball' in the Championship at all

All they need is regular game time to grow as players. We haven't seen them improve as we haven't given them a huge chance to and the loans didn't offer anything better either. More consistent game time will see Bobby and wes improve dramatically I'm sure.

Can only wait to see what happens on the transfer front

Why didnt the loans offer anything better? Going on loan is a great way for players to gain regular game time.

Many players have grown as players and benefitted from loan spells for example Joe Bryan at Plymouth.

As I mentioned earlier Bobby Reid impressed in his first loan spell there but didnt have the same impact when he went back for the second time. He played 33 games last season so certainly got consistent game time.

Wes played 14 games for Cheltenham at the end of last season so unfair to judge of this alone so another full season away would him well.

Its a big jump from League 2 football to playing in the Championship...

Despite all the "Messi" arguments to the contrary, I think Reid lacks physique and also stamina, despite having some talent.

Burns on the other hand looks a complete athlete physically but I'm not sure he has the footballing ability.

Very frustrating on both cases. I suspect they have until January to prove their worth before their careers here draw to a close.

Obviously I hope they both come good.

Despite all the "Messi" arguments to the contrary, I think Reid lacks physique and also stamina, despite having some talent.

Burns on the other hand looks a complete athlete physically but I'm not sure he has the footballing ability.

Very frustrating on both cases. I suspect they have until January to prove their worth before their careers here draw to a close.

Obviously I hope they both come good.

From what I've seen of the pre season photos, Reid certainly seems to have bulked up a bit on the muscle front. Think this year will definitely be make or break for him. With our squad as small as it is he may get more of a chance!

I like the idea of Academy players Reid and Burns being close to the first team; means they are getting better, one would think, even if we are short on numbers.

I do get the feeling though that they kinda need to breakthrough this year or its curtains for them at BS3.

I like the idea of Academy players Reid and Burns being close to the first team; means they are getting better, one would think, even if we are short on numbers.

I do get the feeling though that they kinda need to breakthrough this year or its curtains for them at BS3.

Agree, and the positive spin is that similar could have been said about Bryan last season.

Yes, he'd been in and around the first team already, but Cunningham started the season in front of him, and Bryan played his way into the first eleven, so that surely must be motivating for both Burns and Reid, who have done the right thing and gone away to get games when opportunities were slim.

Fancy both to maybe get more opportunities, and will be interesting to see how they step up. Am hoping they do, as would be good to have more academy lads breaking through and sticking around.

That whole thing of age being just a number applies to young footballers I think. Looking at the top level, whereas players like Maradona and Messi seemed to be almost world class at 17/18 I don't think many people would have paid top dollar for Ronaldo or Bale at those ages, I know Tottenham paid for Bale's potential but he still looked like Bambi on ice for 2 seasons.

My point is players develop at different rates, and the main one that is difficult to predict is in physiology. Who knows, breaking his leg when he did may have done JB a favour in the long term, he had to work on other aspects of his body development during that period and has admitted himself that it has helped him greatly, he might be being discussed here with Bobby and Wes if not for that.

Some players show too much talent too early, before their bodies have developed and it causes issues in their adult careers, Michael Owen is one example at the top level, Tommy Doc might be considered one at our level, the coaches these days are more clued into how and when to develop a player physically, maybe it wasn't considered the right time for Reid until this season. 

Writing off a player because he hasn't made it at 22 could be a huge mistake. 

Archived