IGNORED

Royan, France

Portland Bill

The town centre was virtually flattened at the end of WW11 and has been rebuilt with, IMO, little character, although it is still quite modern and functional.

Fortunately, most of the older properties adjacent to the beach were untouched and, if you are interested in that sort of thing,there are some really fascinating walks to be had along the coastal paths and, of course, the port is interesting, although that of nearby La Rochelle is more picturesque.

In common with most of this part of the Atlantic, there are numerous beaches and it really depends on what you are looking for: there are numerous sandy beaches and shallow water for young children, rock pools for exploring and endless walks along the water's edge.

Enjoy yourself.

Don't forget the stiff upper lip if the farmers spray your vehicle with manure mind.

Haha! been down here for 3 days now and it's a fantastic place.

The weather has been in the low 30's ...except for a tremendous thunder and lighting storm/show last night.

The more I see of France the more I like it, wonderful people, scenery,beaches,weather and the road network is a million times better than in the UK.

I can see why you live over here E's :)

Has anyone got experience of going to watch Bordeaux FC play.

I see that they are at home this Sunday, we are approx 90 mins from Bordeaux, so are debating whether to travel to the game.

If anyone has any tips re ticket prices etc, could they let me know please :)

Usually turn up and pay Bill, almost certainly not a sell out, especially in August, would be amazed if you couldn't get in.

Try FNAC most outlets have a ticket sales counter or a large Supermarket like Leclerc or Carrefour, if you want to buy in advance.

Usually turn up and pay Bill, almost certainly not a sell out, especially in August, would be amazed if you couldn't get in.

Try FNAC most outlets have a ticket sales counter or a large Supermarket like Leclerc or Carrefour, if you want to buy in advance.

Thanks E's, going into a Leclerc later today so will have a look.

Do you know if Bordaux are moving into a new ground? I read they are having one built for Euro 2016.

I would check it myself but am struggling for wifi at times!

Thanks mate :)

Has anyone got experience of going to watch Bordeaux FC play.

I see that they are at home this Sunday, we are approx 90 mins from Bordeaux, so are debating whether to travel to the game.

If anyone has any tips re ticket prices etc, could they let me know please :)

You must be desperate for a football fix!

Its crap when in season let alone a pre season friendly!

Yes mate, I went there last year, and I'm going back again in a weeks time!

I started this thread a year ago and was just reading it back. I obviously didn't get around to liking your post 12 months ago!

We had a fantastic time last year, the beaches and the general area are fantastic ( as you no doubt already know) and were really looking forward to experiencing it all again.

France is a great country, shame it's having to go through some real bad times at the moment.

Archived