IGNORED

A Week To Go - New Season Aspirations?

old_eastender

So week tomorrow and the new season will be underway. At the end of last season I was thinking, bring in 2 or 3 quality players (like Matt Smith) to add to this squad and we could be right up there challenging for a play-off spot like Brentford managed.

Now after what even the most rose tinted "in Burt & SC we trust" supporter must admit has been a massively disappointing close season and we are looking at starting the season with a squad, albeit not first eleven, much weaker than last season. No inspirational JET to call on either as a 'game changer'.

My expectations have come right down to earth, I'm expecting to see us closer to bottom 6 than top 6 now tbh.

Fingers crossed our capable first eleven can avoid injuries and suspensions and we can get off to a decent start, if not could all become a matter of fighting to avoid the drop this season. Seems such a far cry from the optimism I had...

COYR.

So week tomorrow and the new season will be underway. At the end of last season I was thinking, bring in 2 or 3 quality players (like Matt Smith) to add to this squad and we could be right up there challenging for a play-off spot like Brentford managed.

Now after what even the most rose tinted "in Burt & SC we trust" supporter must admit has been a massively disappointing close season and we are looking at starting the season with a squad, albeit not first eleven, much weaker than last season. No inspirational JET to call on either as a 'game changer'.

My expectations have come right down to earth, I'm expecting to see us closer to bottom 6 than top 6 now tbh.

Fingers crossed our capable first eleven can avoid injuries and suspensions and we can get off to a decent start, if not could all become a matter of fighting to avoid the drop this season. Seems such a far cry from the optimism I had...

COYR.

If things don't change this week, the success of our season will depend on the quality of loans we bring in, and our luck with injuries. That makes for a much more uncertain situation that would have been the case had we recruited 3-4 quality players, and therefore makes our final league position much more difficult to predict.

Back end of last season I predicted 8th - now more like 18th!

Unless we bring in some quality in the next few weeks and are canny with the loan market that's the best we'll do I think. We surely can't have the same luck with injuries and suspensions as last season..

Mid to lower half I'm afraid.

Can't see how things will change unless there is a rethink at the top, if we can't meet transfer and wage demands now what's going to change?

If we go down the loan road unless it's for a full season we could end up getting Kane'd again.

Mid to lower half I'm afraid.

Can't see how things will change unless there is a rethink at the top, if we can't meet transfer and wage demands now what's going to change?

If we go down the loan road unless it's for a full season we could end up getting Kane'd again.

I agree.. Trying to be as positive as possible but finding it tough at the moment!

I really don't know. Its wait and see how we get on.

Looking at the championship transfer tracker really is scary when you look at how all the other teams including ones we'd perhaps feel we should be finishing above have strengthened I think this is really going to be a tough league this year compared to League 1.

I can't see any team in the Championship at the moment that we can say we should beat. Not saying that we can't beat a lot of the teams in this division.

Back end of last season I predicted 8th - now more like 18th!

Unless we bring in some quality in the next few weeks and are canny with the loan market that's the best we'll do I think. We surely can't have the same luck with injuries and suspensions as last season..

Agree with this. I thought we would build on what we had. I know there is still time but the squad from last season are in a far tougher league this time round and we look woefully short in depth at the moment. I trust the management to get it right but its a bit "squeaky bum" for me at the present.

I have to admit that at the end of last season, it was hard to see 5 teams that you'd bank on us to finish above. Now with all the close season movement elsewhere, I would say it's even harder to find just 3.

However, I'm convinced that there will be business done. Good business, via loans or permanent signings and this will change our course again.

I have to admit that at the end of last season, it was hard to see 5 teams that you'd bank on us to finish above. Now with all the close season movement elsewhere, I would say it's even harder to find just 3.

However, I'm convinced that there will be business done. Good business, via loans or permanent signings and this will change our course again.

You serious? End of last season I could see us finishing mid table at least.

I agree though, I see nothing but relegation with the current squad. We haven't got enough players to cover injuries etc. I'm really disappointed, I was happy to trust SC etc to bring the right players in and they just haven't.

I've always thought that our starting eleven is capable of finishing fifteenth and I stand by that statement still. What will be interesting is the additions that have to be made. Let's assume from Cotts' interview that he adds only players to enhance the team ie replacing first teamers, and let's assume he gets three new players, plus two loans, that could push up the team to top half in my opinion. I think some people forget that we had a team that walked league one last year, without always getting out of second gear as well.

Don't get me wrong I have my concerns with the lack of depth in the squad and its majorly disappointing how it's been the last few weeks, but that first team is a pretty good side at the end of the day.

I've always thought that our starting eleven is capable of finishing fifteenth and I stand by that statement still. What will be interesting is the additions that have to be made. Let's assume from Cotts' interview that he adds only players to enhance the team ie replacing first teamers, and let's assume he gets three new players, plus two loans, that could push up the team to top half in my opinion. I think some people forget that we had a team that walked league one last year, without always getting out of second gear as well.

Don't get me wrong I have my concerns with the lack of depth in the squad and its majorly disappointing how it's been the last few weeks, but that first team is a pretty good side at the end of the day.

I actually think the first 11, when all fit and taking into account togetherness and momentum, is top 10. Our squad, more importantly, isn't.

I have gone from, perhaps, over optimist in May following the best season of football at Ashton Gate in several decades, to extremely concerned that we will do what three months ago appeared to be unthinkable and impossible.

Struggle at the bottom with the probability of xxxxxxxxxx.

If that happens, I will retire gracefully after supporting City for 66 years.

I actually think the first 11, when all fit and taking into account togetherness and momentum is top 10. Our squad, more importantly, isn't.

Exactly, like I started to say before, if Cotts signs only better players and they get in the first team we could be really going some. If you took some of the names banded around say Matt Smith, Britton, Maguire and that meant Wilbs Pack and Williams ended up on the bench there wouldn't be such a meltdown I don't think. Quality is there, just not the numbers!

Exactly, like I started to say before, if Cotts signs only better players and they get in the first team we could be really going some. If you took some of the names banded around say Matt Smith, Britton, Maguire and that meant Wilbs Pack and Williams ended up on the bench there wouldn't be such a meltdown I don't think. Quality is there, just not the numbers!

Very true - on a side note I'm confident Marlon Pack is going to have a great season this year. Most of this squad will take to the step up with ease, we're just wafer thin at the moment.. Loans will paper over the cracks but as soon as we want to be really competitive in this division permanent signings are imperative.

Very true - on a side note I'm confident Marlon Pack is going to have a great season this year. Most of this squad will take to the step up with ease, we're just wafer thin at the moment.. Loans will paper over the cracks but as soon as we want to be really competitive in this division permanent signings are imperative.

Interesting. I personally think the Pack will be our weak link this season, based on him often being found wanting whenever we have played a half decent team, even at the lower level.

Of course, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong and you are right.

Interesting. I personally think the Pack will be our weak link this season, based on him often being found wanting whenever we have played a half decent team, even at the lower level.

Of course, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong and you are right.

I think he improved a lot and grew into his role. It was only when pointed out by others on here I noticed how many headers he wins. I also think he misplaces less passes than he did.

His weakness for me is his speed and he could get caught out here.

FWIW I think out weak link to begin with will either be upfront or right wing back. That's down to either Kodjia taking a few weeks to settle/Agard being injured and Little's shoulder.

At the end of last season I was very confident in us securing players and using momentum to reach the top half of the table, maybe even the top 8, now I'm genuinely hoping for a gap between us and relegation. I never thought we'd be in a situation where we had so little depth, even after having a fairly small squad last season I actually thought that we would lose 2-3 and gain 5-6 to add depth for a harder league, instead we've lost nearer to what I expected us to gain and gained less than I expected us to lose.... pear shaped sums up our preseason, worried sums up how I feel about the upcoming season.

Lowest 15th, highest 10th.

There is zero chance we'll sign absolutely no players before the window closes, and I don't think we'll not likely strengthen with both loans and in January either, so obviously that prediction is with that in mind.

The fact that the core of the team who smashed their way to the title and a cup last year remains, and the clear-as-day unity in display still mean I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with how competitive we look once the first eleven cross the white line.

Granted; would be lovely to have a few subs to throw on now and then, but that'll come, I think.

I think he improved a lot and grew into his role. It was only when pointed out by others on here I noticed how many headers he wins. I also think he misplaces less passes than he did.

His weakness for me is his speed and he could get caught out here.

FWIW I think out weak link to begin with will either be upfront or right wing back. That's down to either Kodjia taking a few weeks to settle/Agard being injured and Little's shoulder.

I agree that he grew into the role and did a perfectly good job overall.

My concern that was against better teams like Swindon & Preston, as with previous occasions, he looked far less comfortable.

Like I say, I hope he proves me wrong.

Three or four of the best players from League 1 along with two or three Premiership or Championship grade loanees might be enough to stabilise our squad for the new season. The ex league 1 players could always be sold on for a profit in future if they were of the right age as we "traded up" our squad over the next couple of seasons. ,the new capacity should help supply the funds if we could fill AG to near capacity most of the time.

Our first 11 is decent so add to that before the window closes and we will be fine, don't add to it then we will need some luck to stay injury and suspension free. But at the end of the season Im 100% certain that we will be above Rovers and Swindon ;)

Archived