IGNORED

A Week To Go - New Season Aspirations?

old_eastender

I think what a lot of people are not accounting for is that we have a first XI who know each other inside out and would die for each other (figuratively speaking). Most other clubs have signed six or seven new players, who will take time to bed in, not to mention the chance of egos and personality clashes. OK, that may sound like clutching at straws, but it might just give us a headstart until we buy some reinforcements!

8th for me. I think we have a good bunch of players, plus the few we will bring it (sooner rather than later I'd hope).

Other teams will have to bed in players, plus some won't bed in at all and their fans will be questioning the judgement of their manager.

I think last nights result will be a motivating factor.

Even a blind man can see we need to reinforce our first team squad, but I think our first eleven are good enough to keep us out of trouble. The problem will be if we get injuries/suspensions. Then we may (and may is the operative word) struggle.

The main issue is as far as I can see, our first eleven (bar a few exceptions) are more than good enough for this division and to improve on them will cost a lot of money, which the board or SC/KB (take your pick, but i'm guessing the board) seem loathe to spend. We're victims of our own success pretty much.

Veey difficult to say but equally it is now very unlikely that we will be able to recruit sufficient cover for the SPINE of our team.

If any of frankie, flint, freeman Or wilbraham/Kodjia/Agard get injured then we are already stretched. A suspension thrown in there and suddenly we can't field a bench as our only replacements are on the field. Going into the championship without at least a semi experienced number two keeper is also a huge liability.

And this is all assuming that the entire starting 11 can make a relatively swift step up to championship football. With the ball players in our team, I.e. Williams, Ayling, Pack and Freeman I feel confident. With the more industrial players in our team, I think we are taking a huge gamble.

My final prediction? A long and painful season.

l With the ball players in our team, I.e. Williams, Ayling, Pack and Freeman I feel confident. With the more industrial players in our team, I think we are taking a huge gamble.

My final prediction? A long and painful season.

Williams a ball player? Ok. Worst passer of a football in the squad by a long shot. Watch him next we play. Love him though. Solid defender. Just can't pass.

I hate to be negative but at this point in time, avoiding a relegation dogfight would be a realistic aim. Anything between 15th-18th will be fine then we'll be a much better proposition for new players next season.

Fingers crossed we can steer clear of injuries and/or strengthen our squad within the next 30 days.

Everyone take. Chill pill yes it's been a disappointing summer and no doubt so and kb know that but no need to panic on the basis we have got a very strong 11 which will work for each other and perform well I think we will finish about 15/16 this season no doubt sc will sign 2/3 loan players from prem hopefully good ones line rose and that defender forgot his name just signed for Southampton anyway rant over I think we should all calm down and embrace the new season although if we lose the first five games I may take this all back and quickly to panic stations ! I honestly believe as it stands there are 3 worse teams than us ! What was everyone expecting bloody promotion or play offs ??? Anit going to happen just enjoy the ride for as long as you can as I'm sure there will be many turns and twists this season ....... On the plus side atleast we can look forward to paying over the odds to watch the mighty reds away from home !!! Laugh she'd wedsneday can shove it where the sun don't shine I'm afraid shame really would had loved to of seen our first win on the road. Anyway cut the long story short everyone have faith that's all you got to do don't worry be happy !!!

I hate to be negative but at this point in time, avoiding a relegation dogfight would be a realistic aim. Anything between 15th-18th will be fine then we'll be a much better proposition for new players next season.

Fingers crossed we can steer clear of injuries and/or strengthen our squad within the next 30 days.

60 days (loan window). 2 months is a long time in football as they say

I would be amazed if we fall much below mid table. The first team we have is easily top 10, they know each others game inside out and one of the great benefits of our success was that first team 11 pretty much was a constant right through the season. There are goals all over the park, our midfield is possibly one of the best and more balanced we have ever had, our defence are well drilled and we have a solid looking forward line that served us very well last season.

Sure we could do with a few additions, but unless we get 3 or 4 injuries to key players that team is good for midtable at least.

Upwards of mid table in this league there are teams that have good sized squads and named players on ridiculous wages, we wont be a million miles from that.

Mid table is achieve able , even if we don't sign many cotts used the loan market very effectively last season .

I'll be happy with staying up then building next season . It'll be interesting to see how our stars of league one cope in the championship

those who are saying relegation are doing a disservice to our team our first 11 is more than good enough to hold its own, but yes i will admit i am worried as others noted injuries to a few and it will put a totally different complexion on things, but im sure within the next week we will add some players and by the time the window shuts we will have a good squad of players, come on guys were Bristol City we always believe  :)

If recent championship seasons are anything to go by, we will probably spend 95% of the season fluctuating between wondering about the play offs after a couple of wins or looking down the table after a couple of defeats. There is no such thing as mid table obscurity it seems.

The starting eleven are good enough for top 10 easily.

If we can get some quality reinforcements, I'd say top 6.

Bold, but who knows?

Thing for me is when I look at the other sides on the transfer tracker, I don't see too many other sides who's whole recruitment strategy/approach I envy, in all honesty.  There is a lot of movement, but not a lot that I sit up and take notice of, and I'm not just saying that.

Sure, there are a few teams (Boro, Burnley, Derby and Fulham stand out to me) who've brought in players I'm envious of (though would imagine are on far, far more money than your average Championship player), as I think they'll do well this year.  

But even in the case of these teams, they are having to either recruit to cover the loss of influential/talented players (Boro fans I know are crestfallen and worried Bamford didn't return; Ings scored nearly half Burnley's league goals last year, and Trippier is a big loss) or are recovering from poor seasons (Fulham fans I know are distraught Symons was allowed to stay after the poverty of their football last year) or have new managers in, who could go either way (Derby's new gaffer hasn't managed before, I don't think?). 

It is completely understandable that folks are a little concerned that we are maybe walking a tightrope when it comes to injuries, and it is unrealistic to think we will go a full season not needing quality back up; Wilbraham, Agard and Little's periods out with injuries last year prove this.

But there is time still left to get players in, and I agree with those who point out that sometimes it is the better players at Premier League teams who wait (especially for loans), as they want to try and get in that 25 man squad.  The aforementioned Bamford, who was key to Middlesbrough's promotion push last year, only signed for them on 29 August last year, so who is to say there are not quality young (or otherwise) players waiting to see what happens?

Ain't over till it's over, and then the season has only just started, so I'm not going to lose my mind just yet.

I'll go 16th. Push on next season with the ground finished and higher revenue helping make us a bit more competitive financially. Didn't SC say he asked all the players where they thought we would finish last season? May have dreamt this but I thought it was one of the ways he tried to test whether they were 'winners'. Would be interesting to know what they are thinking now....

Totally agree.

I look at the players teams have lost as well as those they've recruited and, with a couple of exceptions, I've not seen any team significantly improve their squads given the players they've lost - all a matter of opinion of course.

There are some really strong teams mentioned above and we can't hope to compete with them regarding transfers and they should be at the very top, but there are many more who are nowhere near the same strength.

As I've said on numerous occasions, there is nothing to fear but plenty to respect and the players must be relishing this coming season and so am I.

Couldn't give a toss about the current lack of numbers as that will be put right in time, I'm just looking forward to the Sheffield game. Then the next, etc..

Pretty much every Premier League team has more than 25 players in their first team squads right now, including youngsters, and in many cases they aren't finished their own recruiting.

Arsenal are a good example; they've 28, hence why Akpom just for moved out on loan, and that includes immensely talented young players like Serge Gnabry, who I cannot imagine them wanting to have kicking about only playing under 21 football this season, being he's 20 now.

May not be with us, but can easily see him being told he is better off going out for six months of first team football than hanging around at Arsenal, and also can imagine that they'll not be desperate to recoup that much if his wage either, rather being more keen to see him play (something we can realistically offer players in his position).

Archived