IGNORED

Owls Fan In Peace

Owl Visiting

Good morning chaps.

Less than a week to go before the season starts, thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Firstly, congratulations on destroying League 1 last season and helping to confine the piggies to another season of where they belong. A big thumbs up for that.

Just had a read of your predictions for Saturday and I've noticed that many of you are as pessimistic as us Wednesday fans are. Any more thoughts on how the game will go? What are your expectations for the season? Where do you expect Wednesday to finish this year?

As most of you will be aware (thanks to the embarrassing ticket prices) we've recently had a takeover and are have started to finally spend a bit of money, we've brought in 9 new players over the summer with Marco Matias and Alex Lopez perhaps being the ones to watch. It could go either way for us this year, our new Head Coach who nobody has ever heard of has a strange record, he's been in charge of a whole host of clubs across the world but never appears to stick around longer than a year. 

Its a strange situation for us this season, what could turn out to be the best in 15 years could be played in front of the smallest crowds, our season tickets sales have gone well, but (as you are well aware) the Matchday prices are outrageous and have caused a lot of arguments over on Owlstalk. Are any of you boycotting the game? Any other memories of Hillsborough?

Anyway, all the best for the season (after Saturday of course) I'm going for 1-1.

Interesting to hear your thoughts. I don't know too much about your current situation but I guess it could go either way for you with there being so many changes. That could go against you but equally you might have signed yourselves some gems. Perhaps it's a good time for us to play you when you have many inexperienced in English football, including your manager.

As for us, we have an absolutely tiny squad. Our best 11 is still intact from last season and our (currently) only signing, Kodjia, is an unknown for us but we hope he'll be a gem. We've sold loads of our higher quality fringe players who had opportunities of first team football and we couldn't stand in their way.

My worry is that we haven't strengthened as we would have liked this summer and whilst I think we have a good team, we may struggle a bit more than previously hoped. Who knows.

I really think this first game is too hard to call as there are so many unknowns. I think we'll either scrape a draw or lose narrowly but I wouldn't be particularly surprised with any result, including thrashings for either side as any potential result could be explained due to the unknowns!

Welcome,

I take my kids to games so only go to a few away games each season. Distance had ruled you out long before the ticket prices for me.

Lack of signings are our major concern, though with a strong and settled first 11 against a relatively new Owls team I would fancy us for a win by the odd goal. However, lack of real test in pre-season may mean we may be a little rusty so I don't expect any free-flowing football and our goals to come from set pieces.

All the best for rest of the season.

Was planning on going but won't be there Saturday due to the pricing structure which is really disappointing.

You've brought in a lot of new faces which can go either way, last season we had a lot of new players and it worked so it can be done.

This season we have not strengthened much and the squad is very thin. I predict SwFc to be top of mid table come the end of the season.

I expect a draw Saturday 0-0 or 1-1.

No offence but these expensive transfer windows with many arrivals often lead to wild predictions of glory for the season ahead which are rarely fulfilled. Not saying this will happen with you lot and you may well have a great season but it will be very interesting to see if our youngsters inexperienced in the Championship or your new signings settle better for the first weekend.

Was planning on going but won't be there Saturday due to the pricing structure which is really disappointing.

You've brought in a lot of new faces which can go either way, last season we had a lot of new players and it worked so it can be done.

This season we have not strengthened much and the squad is very thin. I predict SwFc to be top of mid table come the end of the season.

I expect a draw Saturday 0-0 or 1-1.

Thanks for the responses.

Yep, I agree with the high mid table prediction, similar to last year. Was reading the article the other day from your manager asking the fans to be patient with the signings. I take it this is more of not wanting to disrupt a settled side rather than a cost cutting exercise?

No offence but these expensive transfer windows with many arrivals often lead to wild predictions of glory for the season ahead which are rarely fulfilled. Not saying this will happen with you lot and you may well have a great season but it will be very interesting to see if our youngsters inexperienced in the Championship or your new signings settle better for the first weekend.

Agree with this as well, I'm expecting a slow start to the season and it wouldn't surprise me if you turn us over at the weekend. I just hope the new lads settle and adjust quickly and that our chairman is patient with the new manager. Stuart Gray was unlucky to be sacked with a 13th placed finish last year, but our awful home record where we only scored 16 goals all season sealed his fate.

We've had a poor preseason BTW, including a 4-2 defeat against S****horpe. We did beat St Mirren 5-0 though but the standard of their team was absolutely shocking. Sadly, the Scottish Championship looks to be no better than the Conference these days.

Thanks for the responses.

Yep, I agree with the high mid table prediction, similar to last year. Was reading the article the other day from your manager asking the fans to be patient with the signings. I take it this is more of not wanting to disrupt a settled side rather than a cost cutting exercise?

Lack of signings seems to be down to two reasons.

1) Only wanting to add quality players who are better than what we've got.

2) Aiming too high with our initial targets, with players like Mark Bunn who went to Villa and Harry Maguire who seems just too expensive.

We're playing the long game in terms of signings, which I actually think will benefit us in the long run but in the short term is very frustrating and worrying as we have an absolutely threadbare squad.

Me and my mates aren't going Saturday, not that we couldn't afford it, just out of principle; 39 for second tier footy is just not justifiable. The only silver lining is the game will be streamed online.  As for the game our team knows eachother well and looked championship standard last season, we have added Kodjia upfront who looks to be decent; I think the fact that you players wont have had much game time together may mean we can steal a draw. Wednesday are an odd one, similar to Leeds in that with the size of your support you should be near the top of the championship, but always seem to end up nearer to the other end. The only time I've been to Hillsborough was in the Wilson era, we were flying 11 games won in a row, we brought 5k and there was a 27k crowd in the third division, you beat us in the last minute with an Allan Lee (?) header. That game saw us go on a dip in form and narrowly miss out on promotion, for that reason I've had a dislike for Wednesday since!

Yea as stated by a few, I could make the trip but won't on principle. I think the game will be tight and I could easily seeing us come out on top as our starting 11 will be basically in tact(probably 10/11 the same 9/11 at worst). We know how we want to play and should execute that. Especially if we get a few set pieces as your side has many new faces and still might need a few weeks to settle.

So if we came out 2-0 I wouldn't be surprised. You have a much deeper squad though and unless we add a few more, our small squad will probably crack a bit with injury(we aren't a team for many suspensions).

I probably have my City goggles on but I see us finishing higher as we have a settled squad and integrate well. Whereas, your squad could very well gel and be a fantastic team but as a betting man I would say too many unknown variables for my liking. Good luck though!! Except for against us :)

Back on topic, my feeling is that some of the momentum we had behind us after dominating L1 last season may have been dissipated a bit by the difficulty we've encountered in securing new siginings to bolster what is already a decent core squad. Maybe the lowering of expectations that's resulted from this (well, on this forum, anyway) may not be altogether a bad thing.

That said, even if the mood has gone a bit flat among supporters, there is no reason to think that the players feel that way. Sheff Weds are a side whose chances this season will be very hard to assess until we have had a chance to see how well a lot of new arrivals have integrated into the set-up. My feeling is that City go into this opening game with almost the identical, settled team that finished last season and that the players will be excited about the new challenge and in no need of motivating. I would not be surprised if, while SW are still sorting themselves out, City turn up with a set of players who know each other thoroughly and who have a very well rehearsed way of playing - and nick a result.

I don't normally make predicitions, so now sit back and watch us get absolutely stuffed....

The middle of the table looks inviting for a lot of teams - us, you, (dirty) Leeds, Reading etc etc.

Doesn't seem like a brilliant quality Champ - there'll no doubt be a couple of good teams at the top (Derby again? One of the ex-Prem teams?) - then about ten chasing the play-offs, a tranche in the middle, and the 5 or 6 scrapping to stay up (hopefully not us, but Roth? PNE maybe if Garner doesn't score? Uddersfield?)

As stated our team spirit will be good come 3pm on Sat, spill-over from last season, but we'll find out about this group of players and the management when we lose a few 'on the spin', as we will at some point, something they've not had to deal with (although last year's two defeats in a row in autumn were turned on their head, but that was different).

Really can't tell how we'll do. Bit like yourselves, but for different reasons. Your season could go well - all our new players gelled well last summer - but if the manager isn't one to stick around, you'd prob better get off to a flyer.

Got time for Wednesday, good old club. Went there in the early 90s when David Hirst (Hurst?) was on fire, lost 1-3 when Wayne Allinson scored a belter for us. Think you got promoted to the Prem that night (the top flight). Also there the year we nearly made it 50 wins in a row or something, too, but for a devilish last-min equaliser from a throw-in. Always eerie walking in the Leppings Lane end. But there's a really good wierd butchers up the road, I think, selling all kinds of innards I wouldn't want to taste. Or look at.

Good luck!

The middle of the table looks inviting for a lot of teams - us, you, (dirty) Leeds, Reading etc etc.

Doesn't seem like a brilliant quality Champ - there'll no doubt be a couple of good teams at the top (Derby again? One of the ex-Prem teams?) - then about ten chasing the play-offs, a tranche in the middle, and the 5 or 6 scrapping to stay up (hopefully not us, but Roth? PNE maybe if Garner doesn't score? Uddersfield?)

As stated our team spirit will be good come 3pm on Sat, spill-over from last season, but we'll find out about this group of players and the management when we lose a few 'on the spin', as we will at some point, something they've not had to deal with (although last year's two defeats in a row in autumn were turned on their head, but that was different).

Really can't tell how we'll do. Bit like yourselves, but for different reasons. Your season could go well - all our new players gelled well last summer - but if the manager isn't one to stick around, you'd prob better get off to a flyer.

Got time for Wednesday, good old club. Went there in the early 90s when David Hirst (Hurst?) was on fire, lost 1-3 when Wayne Allinson scored a belter for us. Think you got promoted to the Prem that night (the top flight). Also there the year we nearly made it 50 wins in a row or something, too, but for a devilish last-min equaliser from a throw-in. Always eerie walking in the Leppings Lane end. But there's a really good wierd butchers up the road, I think, selling all kinds of innards I wouldn't want to taste. Or look at.

Good luck!

Great post Huntstile.

Enjoyed the dig at Leeds, its amazing how they manage to be unpopular across the entire country isn't it. I even want the Porkies to beat them when they play each other. 

The game against you which took us up into the Prem was a bit before my time, started following Wednesday around 94/95. I did have the pleasure of meeting Wayne Allison though, nice guy. He was out celebrating with the Sheffield United team when they reached the playoffs one year. Warnock apparently used to deliberately bring him on for the last couple of minutes for Sheff U so that he'd get his appearance money.

David Hirst with an 'I' a real Wednesday legend. How I dream of having players of that quality now.

Hi there; as an aside to the main topic; some City fans moan about missing derby games v Rovers. Do fans of either persuasion in Sheffield long for local derbies again?

Back on thread, we weren't too optimistic about our chances at Brammall Lane on the opening day of last season.

Hi there; as an aside to the main topic; some City fans moan about missing derby games v Rovers. Do fans of either persuasion in Sheffield long for local derbies again?

Back on thread, we weren't too optimistic about our chances at Brammall Lane on the opening day of last season.

That opening day win at Bumhole Stain was a great start to the season. Televised wasn't it?

The Derbies are a tricky one, as a 2 team city like yourselves I have many friends and family supporting the other side across the city (my brother and dad being 2, luckily I saw the light) I always feel that losing them is worse than winning them is good if that makes sense. It tends to to-and-fro between us 2 and despite us having a more successful history they have actually won more of the Derbies, every one I've been to I just feel sick with nerves. 

I'm happy to have the derbies as long as we finish above them in the league, but the more times they miss out on promotion from League 1 the funnier it gets.

You guys are always well ahead of Rovers aren't you? When was the last time you were even in the same league?

Good morning chaps.

Less than a week to go before the season starts, thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Firstly, congratulations on destroying League 1 last season and helping to confine the piggies to another season of where they belong. A big thumbs up for that.

Just had a read of your predictions for Saturday and I've noticed that many of you are as pessimistic as us Wednesday fans are. Any more thoughts on how the game will go? What are your expectations for the season? Where do you expect Wednesday to finish this year?

As most of you will be aware (thanks to the embarrassing ticket prices) we've recently had a takeover and are have started to finally spend a bit of money, we've brought in 9 new players over the summer with Marco Matias and Alex Lopez perhaps being the ones to watch. It could go either way for us this year, our new Head Coach who nobody has ever heard of has a strange record, he's been in charge of a whole host of clubs across the world but never appears to stick around longer than a year. 

Its a strange situation for us this season, what could turn out to be the best in 15 years could be played in front of the smallest crowds, our season tickets sales have gone well, but (as you are well aware) the Matchday prices are outrageous and have caused a lot of arguments over on Owlstalk. Are any of you boycotting the game? Any other memories of Hillsborough?

Anyway, all the best for the season (after Saturday of course) I'm going for 1-1.

What a nice sensible honest post , well done .

Hello Owl Visiting, what a pleasure it is to have a visiting fan post a fair and friendly post.

I'm actually in your fine city at the moment on a course until Saturday! Staying in accommodation directly opposite Devonshire Green - let me say what a nice area this is and also how brilliant it is that your pubs stay open so late! They shut far too early in Bristol. And beer up here is cheap too, so happy days on that front.

As for the game, I expect you to beat us. We have no quality on the bench and therefore no plan b if our plan a fails, which I expect it to since teams will be a lot more aware of us this time since we ran away with the league and cup, whereas the last time we were promoted we were something of an unknown quantity. I'm going for 1-0 to you guys.

Regarding the season, I think without additions a 18th or 19th place finish is likely for us and I would place yourselves anywhere from 9th to 12th. However with the strange track record of your coach it is really hard to predict how you will fare.

Good luck for the season :)

Archived