IGNORED

What Have We Learnt From The Old Codger And Ryan Signings?

southvillekiddy

Brilliant bit of work by GURT BIG BURT and COTTS to get a young championship player who reputedly can run as fast as Ivan and Frankie Fredericks

They way they have things set up with keeping things under wraps, we know that unless a signing happens within a day of the first rumours it isn't going to happen.

Brilliant work my babbies

Why would we change from 3-5-2? It suits our players and worked a treat last season. I appreciate this is a harder division but one of the mistakes Del made was constantly changing formation and system to 'suit' the opposition. We should let them worry about us

These signings tell us we're only interested in quality that improves our squad: exactly as it should be. I'd rather make sure we have the right players in by 1st September, rather than just some decent ones by 1st August

Brilliant bit of work by GURT BIG BURT and COTTS to get a young championship player who reputedly can run as fast as Ivan and Frankie Fredericks

They way they have things set up with keeping things under wraps, we know that unless a signing happens within a day of the first rumours it isn't going to happen.

Brilliant work my babbies

Indeed and I'll bet most of the "keeping things under wraps" was down to Keith Burt. Can you imagine Sexstone doing something like that?

Hopefully many will have learned that no news can be good news.

The interesting question is whether Fredericks was one of our original am targets or a plan B target ( that's the plan B that many suggest we don't have).

If he was an original target from early summer, then it suggests that we are persistent and still working on some of our original first choice targets, so don't yet need to resort to plan B targets. It also says that it is taking longer to get the right players on board than it did a year ago in league 1.

If he is a plan B target then it debunks the theory that we never had a plan B!

The interesting question is whether Fredericks was one of our original am targets or a plan B target ( that's the plan B that many suggest we don't have).

If he was an original target from early summer, then it suggests that we are persistent and still working on some of our original first choice targets, so don't yet need to resort to plan B targets. It also says that it is taking longer to get the right players on board than it did a year ago in league 1.

That's it mate. When GURT BURT was interviewed last season what came across is that at last we are organised and that he and Cotts have in-depth information on all possible signings. They must be set out in a hierarchy of choices but given that you cannot force a player to like the idea of coming to City they will move on to the next preferred one on the list if a particular player wants to go elsewhere. And as you say if a player or Club is not yet sure about a move GURT BURT and Cotts will wait a reasonable length of time

Can't wait for Adam Baker's interview with Fredericks ;

" so how does it feel to be a plan B signing at Bristol City ? "

All of our signings are " first choice " .

Just watched the Player interview. Comes across as hungry to start his career, leaving the Spurs "nest". Not expecting to walk into the team. Knows Korey and Luke Ayling, excited about our playing style. RB or RWB who likes to get forward. Articulate. Knows the Championship.

Altogether, on first impressions, very impressive signing...

Just watched the Player interview. Comes across as hungry to start his career, leaving the Spurs "nest". Not expecting to walk into the team. Knows Korey and Luke Ayling, excited about our playing style. RB or RWB who likes to get forward. Articulate. Knows the Championship.

Altogether, on first impressions, very impressive signing...

But does he have more GCSE's or O'Levels than the Brain of Bryan?

Just watched the player interview and he says at the beginning that he's glad it's finally happened as it had been going on a long time, so I'm assuming he's a Plan A. Yes it shows it can take a long time for some of our negotiations to work out, particularly if they're from PL teams who are waiting to see if these young, talented players are surplus to requirements. 

For me, one of the things that we lacked as a team in past years was a collective "speed of thought". This meant that when we did get one or two players who were faster thinking than the rest they often appeared to be making mistakes, when the reality was more that their choice would have been perfect at a higher level with the right players anticipating it. Whatever you think of his contribution to BCFC, James' distribution fell into this category in my opinion.

now we are getting several players who are working on the same wavelength so to speak, the increased quality of the football we have seen has been immense. From the first impressions of the player interview, Ryan ticks this box nicely... let's hope his on-field impressions are similarly positive :)

Sounds like a great signing, not good news for Wagstaff though

Was thinking about this myself; thing is, I'm not sure Wagstaff really is a right wing back, as he only ever seemed to be 'fitting in' to that role.

For me, he's always played better as part of a midfield three; he was one of the few players I felt actually came out of the SO'D era with some credit, and that was from being the player who slotted in behind Bladock and JET, and helped make things happen, when pretty much everyone else was terrible.

Equally; he (for me at least) looks much more comfortable in our current system when competing in that central area, so maybe he's our back up there?

Just a thought, of course, and I for one don't mind if that is the case; lad has two League One winners medals at 25, and has played and scored at Championship level before, so not adverse to him being a part of the squad this year. 

Was thinking about this myself; thing is, I'm not sure Wagstaff really is a right wing back, as he only ever seemed to be 'fitting in' to that role.

For me, he's always played better as part of a midfield three; he was one of the few players I felt actually came out of the SO'D era with some credit, and that was from being the player who slotted in behind Bladock and JET, and helped make things happen, when pretty much everyone else was terrible.

Equally; he (for me at least) looks much more comfortable in our current system when competing in that central area, so maybe he's our back up there?

Just a thought, of course, and I for one don't mind if that is the case; lad has two League One winners medals at 25, and has played and scored at Championship level before, so not adverse to him being a part of the squad this year. 

He's better on the left midfield imo.

For me, one of the things that we lacked as a team in past years was a collective "speed of thought". This meant that when we did get one or two players who were faster thinking than the rest they often appeared to be making mistakes, when the reality was more that their choice would have been perfect at a higher level with the right players anticipating it. Whatever you think of his contribution to BCFC, James' distribution fell into this category in my opinion.

now we are getting several players who are working on the same wavelength so to speak, the increased quality of the football we have seen has been immense. From the first impressions of the player interview, Ryan ticks this box nicely... let's hope his on-field impressions are similarly positive :)

I am not sure how long you have been watching City, but Gerry Gow was a perfect example of this. 

His reputation as 'a hard man' is legendary, but, even from a very young age (he was a star of a successful City youth team), he was minutes ahead of his first team colleagues.

Not sure I agree that Waggy slotted in behind SB & JET. Most of the games I watched in 13/14 season Waggy played wide right. I think had SB & JET not scored so many goals, Waggy would've been many fans POTY. Last season the full and regular transition to 352 and signing of ML, really limited his opportunities.

I think he is a capable footballer, who has great energy, even if not gonna start every week. If MP got injured I could see an argument for Waggy over BR, with maybe Korey playing the deeper role. If we go to 442 or even 451, he could give us an option. Wouldn't want to see him go without bringing in a decent replacement.

Archived