IGNORED

Premier League

Luxo Jr.

Anyone else find it quite sad that on the opening day of the season, there are only 4 games being played at 3pm? I can just about take a 12:45 game and a 17:30 game on a Saturday, but 3 games on a Sunday and one on the dreaded Monday on opening weekend just doesn't seem right. Match of the Day is shorter, and it just makes it all feel a bit less important.

That's just my own, freeview-only opinion. Anyway, enough of that, COYR. Hat-trick for Kodjia and all that.

The prem sucks, annoying as the top league in the country and I'm torn on whether I want us to get there. Not good.

Yep I'm with you - torn!

Hated all the tweets etc today saying it all 'gets underway today..' - wasn't there a championship game last night?!

And Sky saying Swansea had their 'best ever premier league season' last season, talking like they've been in it for 50-odd years!

Perhaps I'm overreacting but football pre-1992 was so much more enjoyable in my view....do we really wanna be part of that circus?

I'm not sure if I do....

Yep I'm with you - torn!

Hated all the tweets etc today saying it all 'gets underway today..' - wasn't there a championship game last night?!

And Sky saying Swansea had their 'best ever premier league season' last season, talking like they've been in it for 50-odd years!

Perhaps I'm overreacting but football pre-1992 was so much more enjoyable in my view....do we really wanna be part of that circus?

I'm not sure if I do....

I'm sure I don't.

Perhaps I'm overreacting but football pre-1992 was so much more enjoyable in my view....

Players overpaid - definitely. Entertainment - far too much diving etc.

Pre 1992 the likes of Ipswich, Soton & Watford all finished 2nd or 3rd. Now we know (95% certainty) before a ball is kicked the top four will be two London clubs and two from Manchester. It's not just England though.

Ulster - Crusaders, Wales - TNS, Scotland - Celtic, Portugal - Benfica or Porto, Holland - Ajax, Germany - Bayern, Italy - a club from Milan and so on.

2006 there was a survey on this forum; "Do you want City to be in the Premiership"?

Many people then cited high costs, kick off times and days changed at short notice and other things and posted on here that they'd be happy for City to be a strong Championship team with a good cup run every few years.

Then we won promotion and the following season almost made it to the Prem. Suddenly everyone changed their mind and decided that's where they want City to be.

I'm old enough to have seen City win at Highbury and Old Trafford etc. Remember when Swindon made it to the Prem for one season? A 5-0 home defeat for them was the sort of thing we saw on Sunday afternoon TV. If City got there now though, I fear it would be the same for us.

Pre 1992 the likes of Ipswich, Soton & Watford all finished 2nd or 3rd. Now we know (95% certainty) before a ball is kicked the top four will be two London clubs and two from Manchester. It's not just England though.

Ulster - Crusaders, Wales - TNS, Scotland - Celtic, Portugal - Benfica or Porto, Holland - Ajax, Germany - Bayern, Italy - a club from Milan and so on.

2006 there was a survey on this forum; "Do you want City to be in the Premiership"?

Many people then cited high costs, kick off times and days changed at short notice and other things and posted on here that they'd be happy for City to be a strong Championship team with a good cup run every few years.

Then we won promotion and the following season almost made it to the Prem. Suddenly everyone changed their mind and decided that's where they want City to be.

I'm old enough to have seen City win at Highbury and Old Trafford etc. Remember when Swindon made it to the Prem for one season? A 5-0 home defeat for them was the sort of thing we saw on Sunday afternoon TV. If City got there now though, I fear it would be the same for us.

That first season up seems to be clinging on for dear life for most clubs these days - however should a club survive it's baptism of fire, there are templates there to suggest successful mid-table PL clubs can be built up.

It's the TV money with Sky and BT in particular that dictates the kick off times.

Obviously they want the maximum number of viewers.

I'm one of the viewers that cough up the subscription for the sport that Sky show. All of their coverage is top drawer especially the cricket.

Not every one agrees in subscription TV but I rarely watch anything else. To get Sky Sports you have to sign up for the basic package and that comes with superb channels like Sky Aylantic, Fox, SCi-Fi, History and Discovery channels and many others

Apart from the last 4 season when a club from Turin has won it.  :thumbsup:

Counterpoint to my previous post.

If City made it to the Prem and only lasted one season, they'd still pick up so much income through, sponsorship, TV fees and then the parachute payment, that City could then pay off a lot of debts, and build a strong Championship team. Then a few years later get back into the Prem and become another Stoke or Swansea.

Of course you & I may not be able to afford the tickets or get there for the rearranged fixture, but we would know City were now competing at the top level.

I'm sure I don't.

I have long been of the opinion that the PL will no longer exist in its current format sooner rather than later.  My belief is that money will do the talking and that the Champions League will very soon become a European Super League. For example will Chelsea vs Watford create more interest than Chelsea vs Real Madrid ? 

My opinion is that this would be a good move for English football as the top 5 or 6 clubs will bugger off to Europe and the rest of English football will resort to some kind of normality.

Players overpaid - definitely. Entertainment - far too much diving etc.Pre 1992 the likes of Ipswich, Soton & Watford all finished 2nd or 3rd. Now we know (95% certainty) before a ball is kicked the top four will be two London clubs and two from Manchester. It's not just England though.Ulster - Crusaders, Wales - TNS, Scotland - Celtic, Portugal - Benfica or Porto, Holland - Ajax, Germany - Bayern, Italy - a club from Milan and so on.2006 there was a survey on this forum; "Do you want City to be in the Premiership"?Many people then cited high costs, kick off times and days changed at short notice and other things and posted on here that they'd be happy for City to be a strong Championship team with a good cup run every few years.Then we won promotion and the following season almost made it to the Prem. Suddenly everyone changed their mind and decided that's where they want City to be.I'm old enough to have seen City win at Highbury and Old Trafford etc. Remember when Swindon made it to the Prem for one season? A 5-0 home defeat for them was the sort of thing we saw on Sunday afternoon TV. If City got there now though, I fear it would be the same for us.

Spot on!

I remember one premier league season when Aston Villa's first 3pm kick off on a Saturday for a home game was something like November or December.

Football is 3pm on a Saturday....it just is!

Anyone remember when we played QPR away on a Thursday once, Thursday!!!! I went but boy did it feel strange! Thursday!!!

I have long been of the opinion that the PL will no longer exist in its current format sooner rather than later.  My belief is that money will do the talking and that the Champions League will very soon become a European Super League. For example will Chelsea vs Watford create more interest than Chelsea vs Real Madrid ? 

My opinion is that this would be a good move for English football as the top 5 or 6 clubs will bugger off to Europe and the rest of English football will resort to some kind of normality.

I agree and I hope you're right.

The sooner Chelsea, Man.City, Liverpool, Man.Utd, etc. bugger off the better.

That first season up seems to be clinging on for dear life for most clubs these days - however should a club survive it's baptism of fire, there are templates there to suggest successful mid-table PL clubs can be built up.

Shame on you RR, especially given your profession ;) , although I do agree with your general sentiment and, even if relegation follows, the TV money coupled with the accompanying parachute payments should allow debts to be paid off and the squad to be strengthened.  

Shame on you RR, especially given your profession ;) , although I do agree with your general sentiment and, even if relegation follows, the TV money coupled with the accompanying parachute payments should allow debts to be paid off and the squad to be strengthened.

Blame the not turn offable (sic) predictive texting.

League chairmen should've had the gumption to have said no to the extension of parachute payments. It totally distorts league football.

Archived