IGNORED

Recruitment Policy

richwwtk

It has to come some time, the money can't keep going up and there is a palpable increase in dissatisfaction with modern football that is only going to get larger.

It may take another 10-20 years, but it will happen, and when it does you will see a lot of clubs going to the wall. I would much rather be a supporter of a club that doesn't buy into that and put itself at risk.

When it does happen, the clubs that go to the wall won't be Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, they will be the teams like QPR that live way beyond their means and we will be expected to have sympathy for them and their supporters when that time comes. I'm sorry, but if the supporters don't speak up when their club is overspending, then they deserve no sympathy at all when they find themselves with no club to support.

I'm much happier with SL spending his money on the stadium as opposed to ploughing untold millions in to the team. Once the stadium is complete we will be in a position to compete on wages at a higher level, but for now the approach is exactly right in my opinion.

Modern football is only 'modern football' to a certain generation. Younger people just call it football.

Lots, in fact, an increasing number of people love, and want access to, football.

None of us really know what the wages or the criteria is of the players we are attempting to sign but as I said before there is a market rate for proven players in whatever league your looking to buy . If I compare it to my work as I am a freelance IT contractor I know what rate and what expenses I will work for and what rates I laugh at when some agents approach me so the same will follow suit for footballers. Therefore are we being held back on what we can offer players ie wages/fees or does no one really want to come and play for Bristol City ..? I hear people say footballers are mercenary so that would mean there must be some issues with the package we are offering.

No-one wants to see us go back to the bad old days of splashing cash.

Point is the recruitment policy this summer has been completely flawed.

Pelling, SC and Burt must have sat down at the end of last season and with input from SL set a budget (transfer fee expenditure and wage bill) for the summer. Pelling, SC and Burt should know The Championship very well and yet seem to have been miles off with predictions of what we needed to spend to get the players we wanted.

If we knew we were going to struggle to sign establish C'ship player then the recruitment strategy should've been to sign a different sort of player - ones we KNEW we could afford.

Why do you think 3 very experienced football people, and one very experienced finance person, managed to get the strategy so wrong?

Or perhaps your analysis is wrong?  I don't know your experience. Sorry.

Pelling, SC and Burt must have sat down at the end of last season and with input from SL set a budget (transfer fee expenditure and wage bill) for the summer. Pelling, SC and Burt should know The Championship very well and yet seem to have been miles off with predictions of what we needed to spend to get the players we wanted.

If we knew we were going to struggle to sign establish C'ship player then the recruitment strategy should've been to sign a different sort of player - ones we KNEW we could afford.

This in a nutshell, which begs many a question as to why there has been such a monumental lack of communication, or understanding; either way it's left us underprepared and threadbare for the start of the season and has arguably lost us our greatest threat momentum.

Us not recruiting hasnt suddenly made us a) rubbish, b) ill prepared or c) doomed to failure

We will get there, it will take time and we may not fly from the off.

I keep seeing this we are doomed and that we should spend and the rest. 

As mentioned previously and will do so again here. We are not a big nor long standing hitter at this level, and in general have never been, we will get there, but it will take time.

If we were getting battered week in week out like the end of GJ and under McInnes and SOD then yeah, may have a point, we arent and could have fluked a draw on a different day if we had taken our chances too.

one game, 45 to go, see where the season takes us

Definitely not doomed, only a fool would come to that conclusion.

Not getting the players we wanted from the start has left us underprepared as the players haven't been able to gel (we are still awaiting new recruits) and therefore our momentum has arguably been lowered with the instability this situation has given.

It would be difficult to argue that our start and preparation to this season have been ideal, SC has more than alluded to that publicly but we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves (the club) and put a brave face on, even if it is a front.

Why do you think 3 very experienced football people, and one very experienced finance person, managed to get the strategy so wrong?

Or perhaps your analysis is wrong?  I don't know your experience. Sorry.

No, I think it's I that owe you the apology. Sorry. I thought this was the Bristol City FANS forum. I hadn't realised you had to be suitably qualified to post.

Understandably I am now intrigued to hear about your football related qualifications and experience, given I have seen you pass comment on many topics on this forum. Your experience must be quite extensive?

This. Someone has drppoed a b***ock. Were those intrusted with our transfer budget that niave they didnt know the rough boundaries of the sums involved in landing our main targets or even numbers 2 or 3 on our list. If we cant pay the going rate for established championship quality then why the hell were we looking at it!!!

I agree that City have to do the right thing. The future is as important as the present. I do think though that maybe we have to try and do things a little differently than some of the others. It seems we have been competing with teams like Hull who have massive amounts in parachute payments. Maybe we would have been better off going for up and coming foreign players and stick to buying young lower league players like we did with Freeman and Smith, our two best players in my opinion. Of course there might not be any good enough to make the step up, but if there were one or two, then would be easier to sign than it would someone like Tom Lees who probably sees a move to City as being a sideways or backwards step.

I would certainly look at loaning a few more in, if we have no luck in buying anyone. Robinson will turn out to be a good move, I am sure of that. We definitely need a GK, CD and CM.

No, I think it's I that owe you the apology. Sorry. I thought this was the Bristol City FANS forum. I hadn't realised you had to be suitably qualified to post.

Understandably I am now intrigued to hear about your football related qualifications and experience, given I have seen you pass comment on many topics on this forum. Your experience must be quite extensive?

I used to* turn out every Sunday morning and run around in a wheezy, slightly overweight, 4 pints the night before type way.  So, vastly experienced.

Not sure what this has got to do with anything as I was asking you why you think 4 very experienced people got the strategy so wrong?

*It was 20 years ago so I might be out of touch.

Sean Dyche the Burnley manager said in the football league paper today that he has been staggered and amazed at the wages in the championship and that some of the wage deals are way beyond what Burnley were paying in the premiership.

Yea I saw that too. Be nice to admit it and be able to pay up though. Burnley are well run and I wanted them to stay up because they played hard and have a good manager but that just goes to show the talent gap between each league.

Archived