IGNORED

Luke Freeman And The Red Card

formerly known as ivan

Still a yellow card, and the tiny ref had to go and consult his linesman who was even further away from the incident than he was! :laugh:

The ref was an idiot and I don't know how he arrived at this decision but when you jump off the ground and raise your boot so high it connects with someone's face it's a red card for serious foul play and there's no debating that really.

JET never worked in midfield IMO.

Last season, we would've played Elliott further forward than usual in this situation. Now..... gulp... it's anyone's guess what'll happen.

Not looking forward to Leeds or Boro.

At least we have JET to fill in for Freeman's band...oh wait!

I disagree RR, JET can work well in midfield IF Freeman isn't in the side. This would've been a perfect chance for a player like JET to come in, like for like. It is imperative in the long term that we secure quality competition for this role in the squad.

As for who we play in the CAM role, Bobby Reid won't be strong enough and Wes Burns doesn't have the natural attributes for it in my opinion. I'd like to see Elliot tempted out of retirement, even if just for the duration of LF's suspension.

Yellow for me. All these people saying that it was reckless. How can it be reckless if you don't even know the guy is coming in from the side. I have watched enough football to know that if the Brentford players and bench for that matter thought it was a real shocker there would have been a mass brawl on the pitch. Mr Stroud should be street wise enough by now to recognise but unfortunately for the game of football he is getting worse as the seasons go on.

Yellow for me. All these people saying that it was reckless. How can it be reckless if you don't even know the guy is coming in from the side. I have watched enough football to know that if the Brentford players and bench for that matter thought it was a real shocker there would have been a mass brawl on the pitch. Mr Stroud should be street wise enough by now to recognise but unfortunately for the game of football he is getting worse as the seasons go on.

Having watched again on sky I'm pretty sure you could see freeman glancing across before his challenge, so he pretty much knew the Brentford player was coming. 

No excuses I'm afraid.

I don't think there'd have been too many surprised (me included) if the ref had pulled out a red as soon as it happened. Deliberate or not, it was definitely reckless, and definitely too high to be kicking the ball. It was the long delay (during which I was sure I saw a yellow), the crowding of the ref etc and then a red after what seemed like an age.

I agree with those disappointed by Freeman - both At Wednesday last week and today - totally anonymous for me (and I too thought it was Ayling's run for the goal). But, equally true, we have no-one to replace him on the bench. Same problem last week when Joe Bryan went off, and we had to rearrange the formation and play players out of position.

A shame because it would have been good for him and Kodjia to get some gametime.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a CM come in - loan or perm - or Reid (is he fit?) and Cotts go 4-3-3 for Leeds and go for the win. 3 points would take the edge off two very tough games.

Absolutely agree 100%

Freeman had only eyes for the ball. The defender attacked the ball from Freemans left (and slightly behind) and 'stooped' towards the ball.

At worst it's a yellow.

No intent whatsoever; except to win the ball

Yes he was only looking at the ball, but so was the Brentford defender who was just going for a regulation header.

Unfortunately you can't challenge a 6ft defender ( going for a header) with a karate kick style straight leg!!

We all know Freeman didn't mean to do it, but it was 100% reckless.

Bit worrying, but we just have to deal with it. My opinion is that Freeman turned out to be a key player last season, but he did have a slow start. He frequently was subbed around 60 minutes, maybe as he was adjusting to a new position, but he maybe a slow starter ? He didn't look like the player we all admire today, far from it. Now we are without him for 3 matches, 3 matches less match fit. We need Luke Freeman back and getting out midfield ticking over. But as I said we will just have to deal with it.

In the meantime I hope we can find some form to boost confidence. Not easy to attract if players are looking at our current form only, and we don't want to have to make up too much ground before long. Overall performances have been good I believe but worryingly teams are scoring so easily against us and confidence can be a fickle thing.

It wouldn't ever be overturned as a risk like that would never be 'endorsed' nor would you go against the ref for having made that call.

I think by letter if the law without intent it should actually be a yellow, though I could be wrong. I don't mind ref's having discretion though if it's totally reckless, which this was.

The referee clearly got his yellow card out of his pocket, so it was obviously not a clear red card to him. As I said elsewhere, I think that as the player stayed down so long, he though it was serious injury, and went to see speak to his linesman as an excuse to change his mind. SC said the linesman told him it was a yellow card offence.

I think an appeal is worth a shot as the referee obviously changed his mind once, and he would have to explain why he got his yellow card out.

Why was Jerome not sent off last week?

If the player hadn't looked like he was about to be stretchered off to hospital. He was going to give a yellow. Then as he lay there looking bad he changed it to a red.

Then the player recovered and played on...........really the ref should have called Freeman back at that point [emoji3]

Crikey, that looks even worse seeing it back on TV!

He clearly has a look and knows the Brentford player is there and why he has jumped in like its absolutely ridiculous! Not saying he deliberately went into hurt him but god knows what was going through his head.

Sorry Luke, love you as much as the next person but you have cost us big time today with that moment of madness.

Also that clip from Cotts has made him look a right idiot. Apparently the Brentford player didn't need to go to head the ball. What absolute nonsense!

Archived