IGNORED

Songs Before Games At Ag.

Phileas Fogg

Elbow before kick off - Yes or No  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Teardrop maybe? Very slow but very atmospheric and Bristolian.

'Tis the one I'm thinking of.

Had a vague idea of using the tune and changing the words a while back. Would need some work, but general effect would be huge I reckon, if it became a full on stadium anthem in the style of YNWA.

'Tis the one I'm thinking of.

Had a vague idea of using the tune and changing the words a while back. Would need some work, but general effect would be huge I reckon, if it became a full on stadium anthem in the style of YNWA.

I wondered if it was, it was fantastic in that Ashton Vale promo video a few years back..

Can't find that Ashton vale vid on YouTube but it fitted so well.

Great track though

Anything is better than bloody Queen ( we will rock you )

For me it has to be either The Liquidator or Drink up thee Cider!

Well if we are keeping it local we may as well get the title right - "Drink Up Thy Zider" - we've even got a flag in the Atyeo with wrong lyrics from that song on it - it's "for tonight we'll merry be" not "so tonight we'll merry be.."

There seems to have been loads of threads on this subject, perhaps not, but as I've always said, "We're Gonna Win" by Bryan Adams is very rousing, direct, loud, proud and distinct

http://youtu.be/V1aEADRsQF0

Elbow is an absolute dirge. May have been alright for the opening ceremony at the Olympics but prior to a football match, played loudly, it just kills the atmosphere.

Think again BCFC what you are doing over the public address in the fifteen minutes leading up to kick off.

Either play no music and leave it to us or use songs we know and can sing to.

Another great choice, who is picking these pre match songs??Someone with a bit of taste and common sense could get the crowed going a bit

I'm not sure if he directly picks them but Tim Shires is the DJ and has been for a few years.

He's a good guy, posts on here sometimes. Generally the music is fine (apart from 'always look on the bright side of life' immediately after we were relegated which even SOD complained about!) but this Elbow track is a strange choice!

Hi All. 

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc... but for anyone wondering why we havent changed things from last season - there are a couple of reasons..... Steve Cotterill, as is no secret, is a very superstitious guy. When things are going well, he doesnt like change (and to be fair -  anyone else who has certain superstitions will completely understand!) that when things are on a roll, dont change it! Last season was probably one of the most successful seasons we have had in recent times so following that success, there was no reason to change anything. 

Also, despite people saying they arent big fans of the Elbow track on OTIB, we actually get a lot of feedback from others, not always on this forum, that say they love it. This season is going to be a bit of a new journey for the club with the new South Stand and refurbished Dolman stand and there will be changes as the season goes on. And pre-match music is the same. But as it stands, we will try and pick up from where we left off last season but always open to tweaking or change.

On Saturday against Brentford, I actually played the Elbow track slightly differently and let it fade out for a minute or so before the players came out and the atmosphere was fantastic. I know people think we should just have no music for 10 minutes before kick off, but we have tried that in the past after calls for it to happen and there was just silence. Thats not to say we wouldnt give it another go in the future but it really didnt work well last time.

With regards to Drink Up thy Cider - as has been said, generally, we like to play that as our winning song, using it to celebrate a victory by playing it at the final whistle. But its not completely exclusive to full time, and I do like to play it before the match sometimes - so on Wednesday, I promise that I will play it before kick off! (Hopefully I will be playing it at full time too!!).

So in a nutshell - the 10 minutes or so before kick off wont be changing for now. BUT thats not to say there wont be changes through the season and your feedback is always welcome. If you have any song requests for pre-match (other than that 10 minutes!!!) I am more than happy to take requests and try and play as much as I can that has been requested by fans - so please feel free to tweet me @timshires with any songs, and I will always try and put them in.

Tim

Hi All.

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc... but for anyone wondering why we havent changed things from last season - there are a couple of reasons..... Steve Cotterill, as is no secret, is a very superstitious guy. When things are going well, he doesnt like change (and to be fair - anyone else who has certain superstitions will completely understand!) that when things are on a roll, dont change it! Last season was probably one of the most successful seasons we have had in recent times so following that success, there was no reason to change anything.

Also, despite people saying they arent big fans of the Elbow track on OTIB, we actually get a lot of feedback from others, not always on this forum, that say they love it. This season is going to be a bit of a new journey for the club with the new South Stand and refurbished Dolman stand and there will be changes as the season goes on. And pre-match music is the same. But as it stands, we will try and pick up from where we left off last season but always open to tweaking or change.

On Saturday against Brentford, I actually played the Elbow track slightly differently and let it fade out for a minute or so before the players came out and the atmosphere was fantastic. I know people think we should just have no music for 10 minutes before kick off, but we have tried that in the past after calls for it to happen and there was just silence. Thats not to say we wouldnt give it another go in the future but it really didnt work well last time.

With regards to Drink Up thy Cider - as has been said, generally, we like to play that as our winning song, using it to celebrate a victory by playing it at the final whistle. But its not completely exclusive to full time, and I do like to play it before the match sometimes - so on Wednesday, I promise that I will play it before kick off! (Hopefully I will be playing it at full time too!!).

So in a nutshell - the 10 minutes or so before kick off wont be changing for now. BUT thats not to say there wont be changes through the season and your feedback is always welcome. If you have any song requests for pre-match (other than that 10 minutes!!!) I am more than happy to take requests and try and play as much as I can that has been requested by fans - so please feel free to tweet me @timshires with any songs, and I will always try and put them in.

Tim

Nice one Tim! Let's hope our luck changes, if we lose to Leeds I expect the pet shop boys he following home game haha

Hi All. 

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc... but for anyone wondering why we havent changed things from last season - there are a couple of reasons..... Steve Cotterill, as is no secret, is a very superstitious guy. When things are going well, he doesnt like change (and to be fair -  anyone else who has certain superstitions will completely understand!) that when things are on a roll, dont change it! Last season was probably one of the most successful seasons we have had in recent times so following that success, there was no reason to change anything. 

Also, despite people saying they arent big fans of the Elbow track on OTIB, we actually get a lot of feedback from others, not always on this forum, that say they love it. This season is going to be a bit of a new journey for the club with the new South Stand and refurbished Dolman stand and there will be changes as the season goes on. And pre-match music is the same. But as it stands, we will try and pick up from where we left off last season but always open to tweaking or change....

Thanks for the reply Tim. 

The poll on here is 80% in favour of a change with almost 100 respondents, whilst I appreciate OTIB isn't totally representative - it's a good cross section and that's a large swing in a particular direction.

The general themes on this thread seem to be in favour of something that is synonymous with the club - a local group or song about the club - there aren't many of those though! The other theme seems to be something a bit more upbeat and heavy - which that Elbow track isn't.

Has SC actually said he doesn't want a musical change? Or it just assumed given that he's superstitious about other things.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Tim. 

The poll on here is 80% in favour of a change with almost 100 respondents, whilst I appreciate OTIB isn't totally representative - it's a good cross section and that's a large swing in a particular direction.

The general themes on this thread seem to be in favour of something that is synonymous with the club - a local group or song about the club - there aren't many of those though! The other theme seems to be something a bit more upbeat and heavy - which that Elbow track isn't.

Has SC actually said he doesn't want a musical change? Or it just assumed given that he's superstitious about other things.

Thanks

Bristol has created some amazing music over the years. Massive Attack are geniuses! Sadly - the music they produce isnt what you would describe as "pumped up"! If you think Elbow is a mood killer - imagine what playing Teardrop or Unfinished Sympathy would be like just before kick off! Portishead are brilliant too, but for the same reasons as Massive Attack it just wouldnt really work. Also, as has been pointed out - Geoff Barrow is a gas head. Roni Size has also produced some classics but its at the other end of the scale of suitability - too heavy! Also - he is a gas head. 

Cotterill said early last season that he didnt want changes to pre-match routines which includes music when things are going well.

Bristol has created some amazing music over the years. Massive Attack are geniuses! Sadly - the music they produce isnt what you would describe as "pumped up"! If you think Elbow is a mood killer - imagine what playing Teardrop or Unfinished Sympathy would be like just before kick off! Portishead are brilliant too, but for the same reasons as Massive Attack it just wouldnt really work. Also, as has been pointed out - Geoff Barrow is a gas head. Roni Size has also produced some classics but its at the other end of the scale of suitability - too heavy! Also - he is a gas head.

Cotterill said early last season that he didnt want changes to pre-match routines which includes music when things are going well.

I really like Massive Attack so wouldn't mind them, especially as they are City fans!

Would prefer Teardrop to First Steps!

If I made this thread into a more official "suggestions" thread where people could nominate and vote for tracks they'd like played before games at some point or at half time, would that be useful for you?

Cheers

There's a few film composers/music producers from Bristol that are city fans, (myself included) that would be interested in writing something specifically as an opener, I reckon.

Ben Salisbury's one (who recently did Ex-Machina with Geoff Barrow) and we could speak to 3D and see if he's interested. Could be a fun project for a few of us to do I reckon.

www.simonashdown.co.uk

www.bensalisbury.co.uk

Archived