IGNORED

Songs Before Games At Ag.

Phileas Fogg

Elbow before kick off - Yes or No  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a few film composers/music producers from Bristol that are city fans, (myself included) that would be interested in writing something specifically as an opener, I reckon.

Ben Salisbury's one (who recently did Ex-Machina with Geoff Barrow) and we could speak to 3D and see if he's interested. Could be a fun project for a few of us to do I reckon.

www.simonashdown.co.uk

www.bensalisbury.co.uk

Would be something Id love to get done - having our own piece of music made for us. Get in touch with me via Twitter and perhaps talk more!

Funnily enough - one of the most popular bits of music I play at Ashton Gate is called Flying Home. I always get tweets after every match asking about it. Its the song the players come out to for the second half. Thats from the film Kick Ass and was composed especially for it. Would be great if we could get something like that for City.

No, Elbows first steps has overstayed its welcome I'm afraid. It already seems very dated.

Let's look at something along he lines of right here right now by fatboy slim, insomnia by faithless, club foot by kasabian would be my personal preference. Just feels like a football anthem.

Edit: a thought - how many home losses before SC admits defeat and gives elbow the boot?

Sounds a great idea having Bristol producers coming together to make a track!

If that fails then it's Drink up thee Cider, Faithless, Chemical Brothers or Led Zep for me, i really dislike the Elbow track as a footy anthem...!

Tricky is another famous bristolian musician maybe he has something appropriate? Is he city?

Hi All.

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc... but for anyone wondering why we havent changed things from last season - there are a couple of reasons..... Steve Cotterill, as is no secret, is a very superstitious guy. When things are going well, he doesnt like change (and to be fair - anyone else who has certain superstitions will completely understand!) that when things are on a roll, dont change it! Last season was probably one of the most successful seasons we have had in recent times so following that success, there was no reason to change anything.

Also, despite people saying they arent big fans of the Elbow track on OTIB, we actually get a lot of feedback from others, not always on this forum, that say they love it. This season is going to be a bit of a new journey for the club with the new South Stand and refurbished Dolman stand and there will be changes as the season goes on. And pre-match music is the same. But as it stands, we will try and pick up from where we left off last season but always open to tweaking or change.

On Saturday against Brentford, I actually played the Elbow track slightly differently and let it fade out for a minute or so before the players came out and the atmosphere was fantastic. I know people think we should just have no music for 10 minutes before kick off, but we have tried that in the past after calls for it to happen and there was just silence. Thats not to say we wouldnt give it another go in the future but it really didnt work well last time.

With regards to Drink Up thy Cider - as has been said, generally, we like to play that as our winning song, using it to celebrate a victory by playing it at the final whistle. But its not completely exclusive to full time, and I do like to play it before the match sometimes - so on Wednesday, I promise that I will play it before kick off! (Hopefully I will be playing it at full time too!!).

So in a nutshell - the 10 minutes or so before kick off wont be changing for now. BUT thats not to say there wont be changes through the season and your feedback is always welcome. If you have any song requests for pre-match (other than that 10 minutes!!!) I am more than happy to take requests and try and play as much as I can that has been requested by fans - so please feel free to tweet me @timshires with any songs, and I will always try and put them in.

Tim

Fair enough Tim, I wouldn't want to upset Cotts either!

If in future a change can be made then I think this poll should be taken into consideration though. Of course many fans don't use the forum but 80% in favour of no from a pretty large sample size is good representation. Especially as the ages of fans on here are pretty varied so it's not a generational thing.

Also, not surprised to hear that Drink Up Thy Cider can be played before the game, thought Robbored was chatting bollocks on that one!

Fair enough Tim, I wouldn't want to upset Cotts either!

If in future a change can be made then I think this poll should be taken into consideration though. Of course many fans don't use the forum but 80% in favour of no from a pretty large sample size is good representation. Especially as the ages of fans on here are pretty varied so it's not a generational thing.

Also, not surprised to hear that Drink Up Thy Cider can be played before the game, thought Robbored was chatting bollocks on that one!

Trust me, when/if a change is made - we will 100% take fan consideration into what we go with next.

Bristol has created some amazing music over the years. Massive Attack are geniuses! Sadly - the music they produce isnt what you would describe as "pumped up"! If you think Elbow is a mood killer - imagine what playing Teardrop or Unfinished Sympathy would be like just before kick off! Portishead are brilliant too, but for the same reasons as Massive Attack it just wouldnt really work. Also, as has been pointed out - Geoff Barrow is a gas head. Roni Size has also produced some classics but its at the other end of the scale of suitability - too heavy! Also - he is a gas head.

Cotterill said early last season that he didnt want changes to pre-match routines which includes music when things are going well.

If SC thinks things are going well now, he is a touch deluded!

Hi All.

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc...

So in a nutshell - the 10 minutes or so before kick off wont be changing for now. BUT thats not to say there wont be changes through the season and your feedback is always welcome. If you have any song requests for pre-match (other than that 10 minutes!!!) I am more than happy to take requests and try and play as much as I can that has been requested by fans - so please feel free to tweet me @timshires with any songs, and I will always try and put them in.

Tim

Good to see a club or bs employee if that is what you are on a fans forum. if there are changes how will fans be included? City once played Hi Ho Silver Lining as the club anthem at wembley instead of running it past fans.

Hi All. 

I know the Elbow track is a bit marmite. I understand many people's reasons for saying it has no association with the club etc... but for anyone wondering why we havent changed things from last season - there are a couple of reasons..... Steve Cotterill, as is no secret, is a very superstitious guy. When things are going well, he doesnt like change (and to be fair -  anyone else who has certain superstitions will completely understand!) that when things are on a roll, dont change it! Last season was probably one of the most successful seasons we have had in recent times so following that success, there was no reason to change anything. 

Also, despite people saying they arent big fans of the Elbow track on OTIB, we actually get a lot of feedback from others, not always on this forum, that say they love it. This season is going to be a bit of a new journey for the club with the new South Stand and refurbished Dolman stand and there will be changes as the season goes on. And pre-match music is the same. But as it stands, we will try and pick up from where we left off last season but always open to tweaking or change.

On Saturday against Brentford, I actually played the Elbow track slightly differently and let it fade out for a minute or so before the players came out and the atmosphere was fantastic. I know people think we should just have no music for 10 minutes before kick off, but we have tried that in the past after calls for it to happen and there was just silence. Thats not to say we wouldnt give it another go in the future but it really didnt work well last time.

With regards to Drink Up thy Cider - as has been said, generally, we like to play that as our winning song, using it to celebrate a victory by playing it at the final whistle. But its not completely exclusive to full time, and I do like to play it before the match sometimes - so on Wednesday, I promise that I will play it before kick off! (Hopefully I will be playing it at full time too!!).

Tim

So it's your fault we lost then

I like the idea of using Bristol (or at least Bristol linked) bands/singers for the pre match song. 

I accept Tim (or the club) wants something more upbeat just before the game but other clubs manage to create stunning atmospheres with more dirgy songs, the most famous example being Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone".

I am not sure that Teardrop by Massive Attack would work or catch on, but I would love to hear it played more!

Archived