IGNORED

Songs Before Games At Ag.

Phileas Fogg

Elbow before kick off - Yes or No  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd make a poll about this as it is probably easiest way to gauge opinion.

On Saturday, I noticed we were still playing the track "Elbow - First Steps" before kick off. We played this last season.

I really dislike the track, I find it a total mood killer. I actually find it a bit pretentious, and the opposite of my idea of a track before football. Can't imagine it pumps up the players at all, seems to create a lull in the crowd too.

I know those around me don't like it either. I would be in favour of some fresh songs for this season.

I'm not sure if others feel the same way so I thought the easiest way to gauge opinion, and hopefully so Tim S can see, would be to create a poll.

If it seems to be leaning in favour of a "NO" vote - perhaps we can use this thread for suggestions that could be taken on board.

Here's the current track:

I now know that that song is by Elbow (thanks). I too dislike it.

Much prefer something like Kashmir by Led Zep.

Suspect there will be plenty who dislike that thoug

I agree that's much better mate, have heard it down there a lot in the past as well. I've always thought Knights of Cydonia sounded good when played at big games before.

None of the above artists have a link to us or the West Country. Go to Newcastle. Blaydon races. Liverpool you'll never walk alone. I like basket case by green day it has no relevance to us so I don't want to hear it at the gate .

Portishead?  Awesome band and local... a definite mood killer.

Maybe Gravenhurst? I think you can only go with one band for pre-match music at AG (even though its not for me)

I hate any kind of music pre-match. Destroys any potential atmosphere

I agree, I don't see the point of it.

If there had to be something coming from the PA I wouldn't mind perhaps a short collection of commentary recordings from previous games or key events or something like that on quiet and on a loop.

They could even play pre match interviews with players or with SC.

Portishead?Awesome band and local... a definite mood killer.

Geoff Barrow is a genius but Gas.

Songs, like the fans flags in the Atyeo and hopefully the finished decor of the stadium should reflect the culture, history etc of its fans, or at least a proportion of them. Look no further than the Wurzels.

Drink up he zider or one for the Bristol City.

I can't understand why there would be any other choice.

I agree 100% but the club don't want any songs that refer to alcohol, or in this case cider. They seem to think that playing such songs encourages drinking.

That said almost every other football club associates cider with the West Country and of course Bristol City.

"Drink up thee cider" is our anthem ffs!

I agree 100% but the club don't want any songs that refer to alcohol, or in this case cider. They seem to think that playing such songs encourages drinking.

That said almost every other football club associates cider with the West Country and of course Bristol City.

"Drink up thee cider" is our anthem ffs!

If they aren't happy with it then why do they play it after we win?

Finally, a post from RR that I actually agree with! Such a good song and reminds me of the Gate around 93/94ish. Actually had this as the recessional music at my wedding last year!

Concur, something about it pre-teams coming out and then followed by a 'West Country' song.

When I hear 'Top of the World' by The Carpenter's (or Congratulations by Cliff) on the radio it always takes me back to the end of the game in the East End in the 80s.

Along the lines of Portishead, and somewhat influenced by a call for a "slow anthem" akin to Southampton's (Tottenham's?) "When The Saints", or YNWA, there's a song by another local band that I think would lend itself well to a pre-match mass chorus.

I don't get down the Gate nearly enough (nor with enough people) to remotely think about getting it rolling, and of course don't want to post it on here for fear of the deeply cutting and confidence shattering response I would receive from Robbored (I can't take that kind of rejection, it's too much).

That said, I did post it once, and didn't receive any response at all from RR, which was possibly even more hurtful.

You manipulative monster, you.

Not hugely knowledgeable on their music, but anything by massive attack that could be used pre match? Or is all their stuff a bit low tempo..

As per my above post, that's who I'm thinking of, and am of the opinion that one in particular could do quite well.

Relatively low tempo, but translated to a terrace chant/song, reckon it'd have legs.

Eh? What difference does it make. Why on earth would they think it encourages people to drink when played before but not after?

I'd assume he means that they're happy to have fans go off and drink a lot elsewhere, post-match, as opposed to guzzle down as much as they can during half-time/throughout the match - not that the potential effect is any different.

I'd assume he means that they're happy to have fans go off and drink a lot elsewhere, post-match, as opposed to guzzle down as much as they can during half-time/throughout the match - not that the potential effect is any different.

Exactly.....obviously but sadly that explanation passed over Aaron's head....

Really? I didnt know that... that sucks :(

Yes Gas.

As penance he has played in charity games with Scott Murray and been taken to the 3 Lions to be educated.

Not hugely knowledgeable on their music, but anything by massive attack that could be used pre match? Or is all their stuff a bit low tempo..

Angel has been used at sporting events like boxing. Atmospheric intro, builds, bassy, powerful, but football? Not so sure.

Unfinished Sympathy would be a good tempo track plus they are City fans to well 3D definitely is.

Angel has been used at sporting events like boxing. Atmospheric intro, builds, bassy, powerful, but football? Not so sure.

I like the stuff of theirs I've heard and it's got a very dark atmospheric feel.

Teardrop maybe? Very slow but very atmospheric and Bristolian.

Archived