IGNORED

The Official Champions V Leeds United Match Day Thread

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I don't think we dominated at all. It was clear where we're lacking players. A central defender and someone that can hold the ball up in midfield are 2 must positions for me. It was an extremely satisfying point tonight and some players really stood up to the mark, but it looks like they are playing in a formation they aren't entirely comfortable with yet. I hope the manner in which we drew the game will kick start the season and the belief that the players need.

64% possession to Leeds 36.

18 shots to 7

11 on target to 3

8 corners to 3 kinda says otherwise.

Dominated the first half and should have been free and clear by half time. 2 mistakes (the 2nd one was either the ref or Hamer) for the first goal.

The game onlychanged after the second goal, to be fair Leeds looked to have us sussed. Broke really quickly with numbers and looked dangerous.  The attacking centre halves need to be reined in, there was 30 yards between them regularly, ton of space for Leeds to break into.

When teams build against us they look ok, but on the break we look all at sea.

The long diagonal ball was over used, massively . must have been told to do it but the full back had it covered easily.

Kodjia looks promising, even allowing for the bad miss,  needs to get used to the team and vice versa. He was looking for the ball behind the defence , that never came. 

Stupid statement warning..... If you ignore the results , I think we look pretty good. Certainly nothing to worry about.

IF  and that's a big if,  :P Gray signs he could have a field day.

EDIT: Just watched the goals and I can't see how SC says Hammer didn't touch the lad. He may not have done but not clear from the footage. So Hamer's mistake.

Edited by 1960maaan

I thought Leeds were very poor tonight offered nothing really, we gifted them 2 goals. We started well and should have scored really but we were so sloppy after the first 20 minutes and there was no urgency. JK's miss was clearly a save by the way saw it clear as day from the SS. Where that Agard goal came from I will never know but the Gate was buzzing from that moment on and a fantastic finish to the game in which a draw was easily deserved. The sound of the crowd at the end was so loud, shows that all the rubbish about acoustics in the new stands is nonsense, if 14k cheer and sing it's going to be loud! Hopefully this is something they can build on!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 2

Leeds were shit.  Absolutely shit.  We had to make two mistakes in a row to give them a four on one and they still needed a dive and a penalty to turn it into a goal.  They scored their only other chance whilst we were down to ten men.  Both were our own naivete more than anything Leeds actually did.  

Getting two goals at the end of the game was psychologically nice especially given the obnoxious opposition but in truth we created enough to get three points handily and on another night would have.  Kodjia is threatening and when he finds his feet will score at a good rate, Robinson looked effective and Bryan again delivered a lot of quality from the left.  

Defensively we need to wise up and realise that last year we could go adventuring up the pitch safe in the knowledge that most mistakes weren't capitalised on - at this level we can't.  Once we do that, and with a few key signings (two midfielders, two centre halves) we'll be fairly competitive I think.

• Like 2

Leeds were shit. Absolutely shit. We had to make two mistakes in a row to give them a four on one and they still needed a dive and a penalty to turn it into a goal. They scored their only other chance whilst we were down to ten men. Both were our own naivete more than anything Leeds actually did.

Getting two goals at the end of the game was psychologically nice especially given the obnoxious opposition but in truth we created enough to get three points handily and on another night would have. Kodjia is threatening and when he finds his feet will score at a good rate, Robinson looked effective and Bryan again delivered a lot of quality from the left.

Defensively we need to wise up and realise that last year we could go adventuring up the pitch safe in the knowledge that most mistakes weren't capitalised on - at this level we can't. Once we do that, and with a few key signings (two midfielders, two centre halves) we'll be fairly competitive I think.

They weren't shit. They were very very defensive. And it nearly worked.

They weren't shit. They were very very defensive. And it nearly worked.

I disagree, they were shit.  The only time they had the ball was when we gave it to them and they lost it pretty quickly every time.  If we'd played like that I'd have been fuming.  It was only defensive due to ineptitude.

• Like 1

I disagree, they were shit. The only time they had the ball was when we gave it to them and they lost it pretty quickly every time. If we'd played like that I'd have been fuming. It was only defensive due to ineptitude.

Disagree, along with Brentford both sides are very average, we should be beating them....but didn't think they were shit.

Without Bamba granted then I'd agree with you.

Leeds were shit.  Absolutely shit.  We had to make two mistakes in a row to give them a four on one and they still needed a dive and a penalty to turn it into a goal.  They scored their only other chance whilst we were down to ten men.  Both were our own naivete more than anything Leeds actually did.  

Getting two goals at the end of the game was psychologically nice especially given the obnoxious opposition but in truth we created enough to get three points handily and on another night would have.  Kodjia is threatening and when he finds his feet will score at a good rate, Robinson looked effective and Bryan again delivered a lot of quality from the left.  

Defensively we need to wise up and realise that last year we could go adventuring up the pitch safe in the knowledge that most mistakes weren't capitalised on - at this level we can't.  Once we do that, and with a few key signings (two midfielders, two centre halves) we'll be fairly competitive I think.

I thought Bryan was excellent in possession, but he needs to choose a better final ball. Easily the weakest point of his game.

Plus performances for me:

Ayling and Smith - top games from these two tonight

Better than average:

Kodjia, Robinson, Flint, Bryan

Average:

Wilbraham, Pack

Not at their best:

Hamer, Fredericks, Williams

The three subs all contributed. Reid - nice and neat and tidy and made good use of ball in advanced position. Did well under pressure to get the ball if for KA to score.

KA looked much sharper, and also seemed to have the ball under better control than sometimes he does.

Still, two points dropped IMHO. Leeds were a poor team, but I hope we've turned a corner.

Great play by City...looked good in the video.

Anyone else think the Disabled section in the SS looks awful? Just a mass of concrete. Wonder is anything can be done to disguise it, or blend it in with the crowd somehow...it's quite an eyesore imho.

They will be putting up similar billboards to the ones in the Atyeo WC areas.

• Like 1

They won't be happy about fans on the pitch after Flints equaliser ....

Rightly so. Just makes us look like morons to be honest. Fans on the pitch for salvaging a home point three games into the season FFS.

How hard is it to stay in your seat? No wonder other clubs think we're a backwater small time outfit.

• Like 2

We had a decent first half but a sloppy mistake and we concede the 2nd and our heads to down fair play to the subs making a impact and cotts bringing them on early enough for them to make a impact. We do need some leadership/experience alongside Smith and Flint.

Also its easy to forget Hamer hasn't had a pre season so this first few games pretty much are his preseason and building a under standing between him and the defence esp Flint.

Smith was my man of the match.

Those highlights are all City, though thy also clearly show how suceptible we are to the counter attack. As for the penalty, I don't think it's as stupid a challenge by Hamer as some have said; Antenucci would have had a shot on goal from there and if he'd scored people would have been barracking Hamer for not closing him down. Given the angle it was a bit reckless though

Pleasing to see Kodjia getting on the end of so many things. I think he'll score some goals this season, just need to get him up to speed. As for the 'open goal' he missed, that was actually great goal keeping if you ask me

• Like 1