IGNORED

Luke Ayling

Bs4Red

Personally thought Luke Ayling was outstanding tonight, best player on the pitch by far. Rarely gave the ball away, some real quality and care in possession and made some vital tackles. His performance even better when you think of how bad Fredericks was.

Would personally love to see Ayling in the RWB or CM role. His poise and quality on the ball not being tapped into at CB and when it is, gaps begin to appear when he moves out of position with the ball.

Wouldn't move Ayling at all. Just need a stronger more relaxed defender to replace Williams and a central midfielder to start ahead of pack. If we aren't spending on Gray I'm sure we could find those 2. Kasim from Swindon would fit into our system perfectly in central midfield, can't think of any good LCB options though.

Wouldn't move Ayling at all. Just need a stronger more relaxed defender to replace Williams and a central midfielder to start ahead of pack. If we aren't spending on Gray I'm sure we could find those 2. Kasim from Swindon would fit into our system perfectly in central midfield, can't think of any good LCB options though.

Agree with this. Need a CM who can break into the box at the moment neither of ours do.

Back on topic.....Ayling did have a very good game. Solid and reliable throughout. The best City player on the pitch with Joe Bryan pushing him close, certainly in the first 45.

It's funny how we all see things, I tjought JB was under par tonight for hin

Ayling and Smith were top notch tonight IMHO.

Sol bamba held them together. Was it him putting his head in the line if BR's shot late on.

Like how Robinson linked up midfield and strikers too.

Ayling and Smith stood out for me as well. Also agree that Robinson did well in the Freeman role - always looking for the ball.

Smith was put best player I reckon. Ayling is class though and should be with smith in midfield. We have quality there but cotts needs to get it right so teams can't score on the break.

Ayling was excellent tonight, could be a class championship player. 

Bamba is a class championship player. 

Couldn't agree more. And we should be looking to recruit a defender with Championship class.

Thought Ayling had already stepped up a gear compared to last season. 

How we all see things differently?

Some say Ayling is one of our best players, and others that Williams is not good enough.

My take is that Ayling is very good going forward and looks more comfortable in midfield. Yet defensively, I see him as a weakness.

The opposite for Williams who is not as talented when pushing forward but is more solid as a back line defender than Ayling.

Perhaps Ayling should be in midfield or RWB with Williams playing simple short passes to the midfield five who are more adept at creation.

Was he out there second half.? Very reluctant to push forward, missplaced passes or put the ball straight out, didn't look fully fit, no way MOM

Who reckoned that Bryan was MoM?

He was decent in the first half but seemed to fade in the second. That might be down to fitness.

More and more convinced he's wasted at the back (tho he does manage to get forward plenty !) - thought he looked class at times and technically excellent on the ball (running and beating players more than passing)

TBH I thought he would have a shout doing absent Freeman's role better than anyone else - would love to see him marauding in their half all game

I know Cotts likes the fact he can carry the ball out from the back, and he does but still like to see him more advanced.

Ayling is looking like he's made the transition to this division already.  As has Smith who was my man of the match.  Although Bryan got beyond his full back with ease, he needs to work on his final ball: more often than not, these went straight to the keeper.  And although he wasn't outstanding, Flint looked more comfortable than he did on Saturday.

Archived