IGNORED

Derrick Williams

Lew-T

I really like him and think he has a big career ahead of him, but it's pretty clear that he is the most naive defender we have and he isn't comfortable on the ball. I hate slating players but I think we would benefit from a solid centre back and let Williams offer cover. Ayling has really shown his quality this season and Flint is a City legend in the making.

I like Williams, hasn't been good so far this season but has proved in his time with us he's a very steady performer. I think he was a bit of an unsung hero last season, overshadowed by the excellence of Flint and Ayling next to him. Still young at 22 and I think he can only improve.

Needs to vastly improve if he wants to play at this level

Don't fancy him defensively at this level on evidence to date and definitely not on the ball

Would be one of my priorities to find a alternative right now as a matter of urgency

Reminded me so much of Fontaine tonight

:blink: I remember Fontaine a lot differently to you then, I remember Fontaine being a lot worse then Williams was.

Needs to vastly improve if he wants to play at this level

Don't fancy him defensively at this level on evidence to date and definitely not on the ball

Would be one of my priorities to find a alternative right now as a matter of urgency

Reminded me so much of Fontaine tonight

I thought exactly the same , gives the ball away far too often , as Fonts did .

I think he is good enough a defender at this level. I said last season he does not look comfortable in a back 3. In a back 4 he is good enough. Good in the air, quick, strong and reads the game well. Not good with the ball at his feet but would not matter so much in a back 4.

So we're on a mission to destroy the confidence of Williams in the same way as we did Fontaine. Mighten it be a good idea to go out of our way to show support to one of a young players who is struggling for form, rather than try to ridicule him?

No, the moronic element are out in force and it's not even the end of August.

Some of our so called supporters are beyond contempt.

I thought Derek looked good last season.

On the basis of last night our whole defensive set up is going to be challenged this year.

I wouldn't spotlight any one player but would ask where the squad depth is. Recruitment is needed to offer both competition and cover.

So we're on a mission to destroy the confidence of Williams in the same way as we did Fontaine. Mighten it be a good idea to go out of our way to show support to one of a young players who is struggling for form, rather than try to ridicule him?

No, the moronic element are out in force and it's not even the end of August.

Some of our so called supporters are beyond contempt.

I would say it was a bit vice versa for me. Managers selecting a very shaky Fonts destroyed MY confidence - in them.

DW was one of the team's weaker players last season (that does still leave him as better than most in L1 you understand) and he's shown a worrying tendency to be out-of-position at dangerous times in this one.

No-one wants him to fail, but it's fair to write on a thread that he's a cause for concern.

Maybe he'll step up to the mark and is just having an early season wobble. Let's hope so, eh?

I would say it was a bit vice versa for me. Managers selecting a very shaky Fonts destroyed MY confidence - in them.

DW was one of the team's weaker players last season (that does still leave him as better than most in L1 you understand) and he's shown a worrying tendency to be out-of-position at dangerous times in this one.

No-one wants him to fail, but it's fair to write on a thread that he's a cause for concern.

Maybe he'll step up to the mark and is just having an early season wobble. Let's hope so, eh?

I have no problem saying his form is a cause for concern. I strongly object to him, or any other payer, being rounded upon and insulted.

Just out of interest, how many of the goals was he at fault for yesterday?

He wasn't at fault for any goals but he did constantly give the ball away, which obviously disrupts the teams flow and ability to attack, and is one of the players who has found the step up difficult so far. No need to call him pony though. Pack is also finding the step up difficult, Hamer is short on confidence, Fredericks is effectively doing a pre-season and doesn't know what his role is.......yet and our midfield are not on the same wavelength as Old Codger........yet. So you can see why we are finding it difficult at the moment.

It is an undisputable fact that Lansdown, Burt and Cotterill between them have royally messed up pre-season this time round but it's not the end of the world and if Cotterill and Burt get their heads out of there ar$ses and do the job they are well paid for, properly, by looking at REALISTIC and ACHIEVABLE targets between now and the end of the window then I've seen enough to suggest it will get better and we'll be fine. It might get worse before it gets better and we might be the butt of jokes from Gasheads getting way ahead of themselves but who always seems to have the last laugh in this City?!!

If he was an Academy product people would be saying how great he is. Bit like Bobby Reid in the fact many have mentioned how great he was last night and should start.

Not really. Reid came on the other night and effected the game (as did Burns and Agard). Good passing, carrying the ball into dangerous areas and had a hand in both goals. That was a great contribution in the limited time he had and must be worthy of consideration, at least, for a starting spot today. I don't think Cotterill will stick him in though. Williams has not contributed so well so far but lets hope he does learn fast because none of us want players to fail.

Archived