IGNORED

Derrick Williams

Lew-T

I believe Williams has what it takes. He is good in the air, reads the game well and has pace to compliment flint's lack of it. A great partnership they would make. Williams is not an ayling with the ball at his feet, and defensively he has to cover Bryan charging forward as well as get forward to help him out but also support flint. All too much, ayling can't do it either. Put him centre back and get him to stay there and he will be reliable I reckon.

I don't think DW is pony and at 22 he will definitely be at worst solid CB at this level. He isn't bad on the ball but I think he overthinks on the ball. He needs to play the simple ball more often and play it quicker is all.

Defensively he's alright at times. He's important back there because he is the quickest. He had a shocker against Brentford letting Gray make that run far too easily for the OG(credited to Judge now I read) and was overpowered by Hofmann on their last goal. I think these are 2 of the better strikers in the league and maybe DW just slow on the uptake of this level. Competetion wouldn't hurt any of our back 3.

Williams is clearly out of form and low on confidence. In terms of his positioning, I'd say it's probably party to do with the formation, and partly to do with our wingbacks neglecting the 'back' part of their job titles. The system worked well last year because we were able to impose ourselves on opposition and regularly looked like we were playing a back two (with one CB pushed up). This year it's already obvious we'll need to be more disciplined in how we go forward, we can't afford to all pour forward because we'll continue to get suckered punched when we lose possession.

Why is everyone saying pony?

What a stupid expression.

Because they don't have the balls to talk straight? But I do find it counter productive slagging of a first team player, and on match day, wouldn't be so bad if the OP put up some facts as he sees it to support his opinion. 

Anyway what does 'Pony' mean when used in this manner....(stands by for some childish smartass comments).

Because they don't have the balls to talk straight? But I do find it counter productive slagging of a first team player, and on match day, wouldn't be so bad if the OP put up some facts as he sees it to support his opinion. 

Anyway what does 'Pony' mean when used in this manner....(stands by for some childish smartass comments).

Pony & Trap = crap

It's pathetic sadly, players who were the backbone of a championship winning season getting slated 4 games in

Same few as well who have been doing it to different players for years...the moronic so called fan that is Nogood the bad is one of the worst on here for it.

You wonder if incoming players or their agents have a look at this forum before coming into a club and say...fans like that screw that, looking at the Gray interview yesterday joining burnley he spoke to a number of people about joining Burnley and Working for Dyche, heard good things and signed

Dyche ironically one of the many ex players whose confidence was destroy by so called City fans years ago

It's pathetic sadly, players who were the backbone of a championship winning season getting slated 4 games in

Same few as well who have been doing it to different players for years

You wonder if incoming players or their agents have a look at this forum before coming into a club and say...fans like that screw that

Fans are fickle, yes agree.

That last part. Haha, no chance.

Some utterly vile people on this forum these days who actually claim to be city fans.

Too right.

Utter *****s trying to slag off last season's Championship winning players after 3 games.

Absolutely zero understanding of the quality of the opposition we now face, too.

let's hope he doesn't f..k up in our next game or he could be off to Cheltenham on loan.

Todays game will soon be forgotten.

I can remember a villa fan coming on here who followed there youth football singing his praises.after he turned down a new contract at villa to sign for us.

Lets hope some fans can give the lad a couple more games before he's written off as a lower league player!!!

Williams took a few weeks to get going in League 1 after he signed 2 years ago, by the improvement he made meant he finished that season as one of our most consistent players, I have no doubt that he will continue that development. I personally believe (and have done since the end of his first season here) that he will spend most of his career as a Championship player, possibly even becoming a lower Prem player

Plenty of concerns raised last season about the obvious weak areas of Williams' game that would see him struggle far more a level up.

So far very well founded.

very well founded?? Says who?? An opinion from someone who clearly listens to game on the radio. Last season dw was a great performer for us. We signed him as a young defender with massive potential. He ended up playing vital part of our defence Las season. This season all of our squad needs to time to adapt, dw is no different. Today was outstanding. What are you trying to achieve with constant useless dribble about dw?? I smell gas

very well founded?? Says who?? An opinion from someone who clearly listens to game on the radio. Last season dw was a great performer for us. We signed him as a young defender with massive potential. He ended up playing vital part of our defence Las season. This season all of our squad needs to time to adapt, dw is no different. Today was outstanding. What are you trying to achieve with constant useless dribble about dw?? I smell gas

This I smell Gas nonsense is a far bigger crime on this forum than slagging off players.

Obvs not allowed to comment as I didn't go today but Williams was slated for wasting possession at one point, they also mentioned he was getting it in the neck from Cotts on a separate occasions for his possession - which is what most people have a problem with DW's game and at this level you do need to have a bit about you on the ball too as a CB.

You won't get many/any slate his defensive capabilities.

This I smell Gas nonsense is a far bigger crime on this forum than slagging off players.

Obvs not allowed to comment as I didn't go today but Williams was slated for wasting possession at one point, they also mentioned he was getting it in the neck from Cotts on a separate occasions for his possession - which is what most people have a problem with DW's game and at this level you do need to have a bit about you on the ball too as a CB.

You won't get many/any slate his defensive capabilities.

believe me sc was giving little and ayling just as must stick as he was dw. Dw is a young cente back, he is not a finished article. He should definitely be given time to improve certain parts of his game. I also think he has earned that right the way he played last season and started this season. Agreed ball possession is his weakness but hes young. Patients is the key

Gas? Well done indeed, I'm 57 and being called 'gas' is certainly a first for me.

I doubt there's one poster less 'gas' on this forum than me. I ******* hate them.

FYI 'Spoons' I attend all the home games and have done for the past 45 seasons. I've also followed City to over 60 different away grounds in all 4 divisions. 

On to Williams. In the games I've seen this season - at AG - Williams has struggled. That's not 'slagging him off' it's my opinion based on what I've seen and is clearly shared by many others on this forum, if not you.

I've never written him off or been in any way unpleasant in my posts, simply pointed out his frailties as I see them.

That's permitted on a forum, I believe, and if you can disagree without ranting, that's fine too. 

I can think of several posters who have been far more vocal and personal in their criticisms, some evident on this very thread, so a bit of a mystery why you're singling me out to harangue.

For the record I'm very pleased for DW he apparently had a much needed more solid game today - we all want him to do well, and if he can now be consistent, then he's got a good chance of fighting off the competition certain to arrive from new defensive signings.

Gas? Well done indeed, I'm 57 and being called 'gas' is certainly a first for me.

I doubt there's one poster less 'gas' on this forum than me. I ******* hate them.

FYI 'Spoons' I attend all the home games and have done for the past 45 seasons. I've also followed City to over 60 different away grounds in all 4 divisions.

On to Williams. In the games I've seen this season - at AG - Williams has struggled. That's not 'slagging him off' it's my opinion based on what I've seen and is clearly shared by many others on this forum, if not you.

I've never written him off or been in any way unpleasant in my posts, simply pointed out his frailties as I see them.

That's permitted on a forum, I believe, and if you can disagree without ranting, that's fine too.

I can think of several posters who have been far more vocal and personal in their criticisms, some evident on this very thread, so a bit of a mystery why you're singling me out to harangue.

For the record I'm very pleased for DW he apparently had a much needed more solid game today - we all want him to do well, and if he can now be consistent, then he's got a good chance of fighting off the competition certain to arrive from new defensive signings.

well you have cleared that up far better than you did in your previous post. Maybe I did rant but feel a bit protective of players getting unnecessary and unhelpful stick. Apologies if offended just saw red mist.

well you have cleared that up far better than you did in your previous post. Maybe I did rant but feel a bit protective of players getting unnecessary and unhelpful stick. Apologies if offended just saw red mist.

Yes, I was naturally 'put out', but I accept your apology.

Despite some selective readers of this forum indicating otherwise (including one on this thread who isn't worth responding to) I've often been on the other side standing up for players almost alone - in the recent past notably Flint - when 90% of the forum were tearing him to pieces.

The criticisms of DW are - mostly - mild and measured in comparison, and his form - like every other player - should be fair game for debate on here.

Yes, I was naturally 'put out', but I accept your apology.

Despite some selective readers of this forum indicating otherwise (including one on this thread who isn't worth responding to) I've often been on the other side standing up for players almost alone - in the recent past notably Flint - when 90% of the forum were tearing him to pieces.

The criticisms of DW are - mostly - mild and measured in comparison, and his form - like every other player - should be fair game for debate on here.

understood but not sure its 'fair game' to criticise players so early into a long season. So on that one we will agree to disagree.

It's getting all to common I am afraid, if it's not some word association 'game' it's slagging of our own players, OR the obsession with Rovers.

you are probably one of the most obsessed with the rovers I always see comments on the rovers thread and I bet on the the now classic nlbr thread you commented well over 100 times!

People who live in glass house's and that!!

understood but not sure its 'fair game' to criticise players so early into a long season. So on that one we will agree to disagree.

I don't think pointing out a player had a weak game is "slagging off". What is the point of having a discussion forum otherwise?

Anyway, everyone's glad that Williams had a good game at Boro.

I actually said his form should be fair game for debate on here.

I can see we're going to agree and disagree in the future.

Look forward to it.

it sounds like he played well which I'm not suprised by he's a good defender. Listening to the commentary I didn't hear many runs from Williams or ayling which is great and I hope we do more of this even at home. Whilst we adapt to this league and hamer settling in still.

I think we Still need a defender with experience at this level not to directly replace Williams but to provide healthy competition.

At the moment I'd prefer a cb over a striker if we only sign one more player over the window , Although I do expect 2/3 more players.

Archived