IGNORED

Naive Both On And Off The Pitch

Fat Cigar

Agree with most of that bar a couple of points. I thought we did alright last night, and a point was the least we deserved. Leeds rarely threated and again we had a numerous opportunities.

As for Kodjia, I think he's looked good in both home games. Easily our best forward option atm. League One at best is a remarkable statement to make.

The good thing about that is that naivety can be fixed with training and experience. The players are good enough, they just need to learn that they can't play like they did in league one every week because they will be punished.

The bad news is that that will take time, the fixture list isn't particularly kind at the moment, and we could be somewhat adrift by the time they learn. At least we can be confident that Cotterill is good at keeping up morale and is hopefully smart enough to change the way they play if necessary.

We're desperately short of players with experience at this level. If we don't get all the signings we're after then I might be tempted to talk to Wade Elliot about playing some games. All he needs to do is sit in the midfield and calm the play at the right times. Youthful exuberance is great but not if it leads us into trouble. 

Good realistic post

Only minor point I'd see differently is Codger who I thought looked a live wire and think just needs to settle - bit of a rough diamond I'm hoping (My one concern about him was some of his obvious public frustrations at our 'service' at times - began to look somewhat demoralised before he came off - though fitness may have played his part in how he looked at that point)

Don the tin hats but I have to say I'm concerned about how many issues seem to be emerging both in terms of some of those who form our squad / side and in terms how difficult recruitment appears to at the moment

Think SC has his hands full as there are discussions / questions (quite rightly and fairly IMO) regarding some individuals and our method / style of play at the moment.

Add that to what is quite clearly a difficult and increasingly pressurised transfer window and SC certainly has it going on - we don't want to be too far off the points race even if it is early in the season

Guess we will learn a bit more about SC in coming weeks

COYR

Was interesting listening to the Leeds commentary last night. They noted that:

• We kept trying and failing to hit diagonal balls cross field
  • Our midfielders were slow to track back when defending
  • The stadium had vastly improved since their last visit - although a desk collapsed behind them!!

It was an absolute treat to listen to when the two late goals went in. :-)

Let's not forget that Championship football is new to most of Citys squad. From memory only Agard, Ayling and Wilbrahams have played there before. There might be others that I've overlooked but my point is that this level of football is new to most of them.

Of course it's a step up, everything in the Championship is of better quality including the stadiums. Players take game time to adjust to everything so accusations of naievity is premature. We are only 3.games into a very lengthy season fis!

A bloke near me last night was doing his nut last night when City went 2-0 down "we ain't good enough" and " sort it out Cotterill" so on. he was wearing his heart on his sleeve and I didn't have the balls to explain things to him......

It's great for the stats to have two wing backs whose starting point is twenty yards into their half and shows lots of 'chances / shots' on stats (BTW of all the 'chances' we created last night how many were good chances that should have been stuck away - Codgers ? And ? Flints free header ?)

We are far too open atm and look like a goal against waiting to happen every time a side counters on us - Leeds are a very ordinary side compared to the better in this div and repeat last nights performance a good side will do us a 5 at the Gate (in this div again)

Was interesting listening to the Leeds commentary last night. They noted that:

• We kept trying and failing to hit diagonal balls cross field
  • Our midfielders were slow to track back when defending
  • The stadium had vastly improved since their last visit - although a desk collapsed behind them!!

It was an absolute treat to listen to when the two late goals went in. :-)

They were spot on then.

We scored in the 89th minute and in stoppage time. I don't think that would happen if fitness was a problem.

However, the game is so fast and physical these days that it must be virtually impossible to get up for every attack and track back for every counter, so rather than getting fitter our players will need to get smarter. Both Leeds goals were scored when we had pretty much everyone up the pitch, and for the second we kept trying to attack when one of our strikers was down injured. A smarter side would have held the ball till Wilbraham got up or put it out of play if it looked more serious. They need to learn when to attack in numbers and when to sit patiently.

Yeah, I'd agree on that. Jus the thought popped into my head regarding our slow pre-season and whether that was playing any part. 

I think its happened enough now that they're going to take the problem seriously, I think both Cotts and Flint mentioned it in their post match interviews. 

Think the OP is making decent points.

I think our niavity extends to the cheating game as well. Brentford, poor but unmalicious challenge and the chap stayed down to make sure the situation escalated to a sending off. Then, last night, an excellent and convincing but yet theatrical dive for the penalty.

Contrast that with the honesty of Joe who, just from my view from the corner of the South Stand could easily have had 2 penalties if he had gone down rather than rebalancing himself and crossed. Even the ref in the Brentford game acknowledged his honesty on one occasion.

Think it's great that we are so honest. Makes me proud. But if the refs keep get conned by the opposition and we get in a relegation scrap do we dispense with our principles? Prefer not, but football has developed into a cheating game unfortunately and we've definitely gone up a league in the cheating stakes. Either better refs or beat the opposition with better football is the solution only one of which is in our control.

Think the OP is making decent points.

I think our niavity extends to the cheating game as well. Brentford, poor but unmalicious challenge and the chap stayed down to make sure the situation escalated to a sending off. Then, last night, an excellent and convincing but yet theatrical dive for the penalty.

Contrast that with the honesty of Joe who, just from my view from the corner of the South Stand could easily have had 2 penalties if he had gone down rather than rebalancing himself and crossed. Even the ref in the Brentford game acknowledged his honesty on one occasion.

Think it's great that we are so honest. Makes me proud. But if the refs keep get conned by the opposition and we get in a relegation scrap do we dispense with our principles? Prefer not, but football has developed into a cheating game unfortunately and we've definitely gone up a league in the cheating stakes. Either better refs or beat the opposition with better football is the solution only one of which is in our control.

I agree, which I hate to say. Its a shame it is part and parcel of the game, but we do have to be more streetwise with it and match our opponents in what they do. In both home games so far I felt our players should have gone down under certain challenges, especially with us being a threat at set pieces (except for that joke of a short free kick last night). A good example last night was in the 1st half their right sided player, Byram, led with his arm in every aerial challenge with Pack. There would be many a player going down screaming under such challenges

We scored in the 89th minute and in stoppage time. I don't think that would happen if fitness was a problem.

However, the game is so fast and physical these days that it must be virtually impossible to get up for every attack and track back for every counter, so rather than getting fitter our players will need to get smarter. Both Leeds goals were scored when we had pretty much everyone up the pitch, and for the second we kept trying to attack when one of our strikers was down injured. A smarter side would have held the ball till Wilbraham got up or put it out of play if it looked more serious. They need to learn when to attack in numbers and when to sit patiently.

Exactly this. The players will hopefully have learned a lot these past three matches and certainly the late goals last night will have given them a huge boost. I'll be quite happy for a point at Boro though they've looked pretty decent so far.

However.....IF the boys have learnt from these matches and put things into practice on Teeside then maybe we'll come home with a point or three.....(or I'm I being naive??! :D )

Agree with most of that bar a couple of points. I thought we did alright last night, and a point was the least we deserved. Leeds rarely threated and again we had a numerous opportunities.

As for Kodjia, I think he's looked good in both home games. Easily our best forward option atm. League One at best is a remarkable statement to make.

Fair enough. I know I'm being harsh. He does need time. 

• Admin

Let's not forget that Championship football is new to most of Citys squad. From memory only Agard, Ayling and Wilbrahams have played there before. There might be others that I've overlooked but my point is that this level of football is new to most of them.

Of course it's a step up, everything in the Championship is of better quality including the stadiums. Players take game time to adjust to everything so accusations of naievity is premature. We are only 3.games into a very lengthy season fis!

See, I would use your example to say it's too early to say we are struggling with the step up.

If we had played Wednesday, Brentford or Leeds last season we would have beaten them !

What has changed over the summer so drastically that we do look like we are struggling from day one?

In 2007/08 we had the following first team players who had previously played a significant number of games in the Championship or the SPL*:

Carey, McAllister, Elliot, Johnson, Sproule, McIndoe, Byfield, Murray

Now we have these:

Fielding (or Hamer), Ayling, Wilbraham

It's pretty clear what the difference is. I'd wager that most of the current lot can go on to become better players than the class of 2008 but right now they're much less suitable for immediate success in the Championship.

*Say what you like about the quality of the SPL, you got 4 games a season against Rangers and Celtic, which is a good enough test for anyone at this level.

See, I would use your example to say it's too early to say we are struggling with the step up.

If we had played Wednesday, Brentford or Leeds last season we would have beaten them !

What has changed over the summer so drastically that we do look like we are struggling from day one?

Cotterill said after Luton (?) that the team were suffering a hangover from last season's success. It's obviously going to take time for them to adjust to the pace, physicality and ruthlessness of this league. You could get away with squandering 5 or 6 chances in L1 and still win. More often than not, you'll pay in this league.

Our passing game hasn't got going yet, bar that 20mins spell against Brentford. Partly down to some of the new players. As I said in my opening post, we lack a leader. 

I fear very few teams in this division. Many much of a muchness. We just need a few points quickly to settle nerves - theirs and ours! 

Interestingly heard on the radio earlier in the week that the theory that Chelsea have started slowly is that the medial team / fitness etc believe it is better to peak further into the season meaning you end the season stronger than if you start it flying . . .

What, you mean like the Bristolian telly and newspaper blokes?

Not street wise, needs a Hartley / Elliott type centre of midfield

This is priority number 1 for me. Elliot in that first season was a monster in midfield and we need that....pack may develop into a first choice option but he's not at that level right now. If we've money to spent this is where the team is best strengthened for me, esp when Luke returns to add more creativity

Interesting to watch the extended highlights on player, for the first goal  Fredricks lost possession and leeds broke, we had 1 player back (Smith), with others trying to track the 4 leeds players who broke. For the second again we ended up 4 Lees players to our 3 defenders with no effort from either wing back to get back and cover. 

We can't be so gun ho, the center backs need to let the wing backs bolster the midfield / attack and if they want to get forward make sure we have cover.

Joe has been a fantastic player for us and still our biggest threat, but he does not look fit, in last nights game and against Brentford he was not up to his last season work rate or able to last the game.

Fredicks I am sure will be a good player, but started poorly and then lost confidence, needs to be on bench for Saturday.

Archived