IGNORED

Public Perception Of Bristol City

Kingswood Village

The idea of "big" clubs maybe has some relevance when you talk about legendary clubs that have made a global impression (i.e. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC & Inter, Man Utd, Liverpool and a handful of others but it's an absolute irrelevance once you get beyond those teams.  Comparing whether Bristol City are bigger than, say, Sheffield United or Bradford or Hull or Brentford is a meaningless penis comparison contest and the only reason anyone ever brings up the idea of big clubs is because recent history shows another club to be more successful and they want to pretend there's some objective way of pretending that doesn't matter.

But, in terms of both fans' perceptions and whether players want to come to a club, current success and prospects are the only measure that counts.

Brentford were a division above us and in the play-offs last season and look better equipped for another run at promotion.  They're a more attractive prospect than us.  I doubt any neutral fan would accept we're a bigger club than them.

Hull were in the premier league last season and look better equipped for another run at at promotion.  They're a more attractive prospect than us.  I'm convinced any neutral fan would say they're a bigger club.

Burnley  were in the premier league last season and look better equipped for another run at at promotion.  They're a more attractive prospect than us.  I'm convinced any neutral fan would say they're a bigger club.

Swansea are an established premier league side.  Try to claim we're a bigger club and any neutral fan will (entirely correctly) laugh in your face. 

Intetesting debate when you consider immediacy.

Swansea and Hull are prime examples.

For me the test comes when the bubble bursts man city Tottenham everton etc. will sell 20k tickets in div 4. Clubs like swansea hull Bradford Burnley etc will always revert back to type when back in div 3/4.

3 years ago the neutral would have laughed in your face if you claimed city were a bigger club than Wigan, citing their fa cup and div 1 exploits yet we all know the truth.

Most of the modern fan base that support the big clubs have never even considered us to be a 'big' club, also I think the modern young player also has this view as demonstrated in the last couple of weeks. 

But on what basis do you base who is big (or small?). Obviously the normal test applies regarding time spent in the Prem, fan base , stadium, and location. So if we were to apply the stadium , location and throw in a wealthy owner, then BCFC must be ranked as a 'big' club. 

However like I say the view from the modern fan is that only Chelsea Man U ,City etc are worth supporting or the modern footballer worth playing for.

If you were to look forward rather than back, City are very much one for the future. But try telling that to the ''want it now'', greedy players.

50th seems right. We are currently the team with the longest run of not playing in either the top or bottom Leagues. Just bouncing between second and third tier, no highs, no lows, and in my 37 years, a League Cup semi and winning at Anfield. Being the team who has won the Football League Trophy most times just adds to that feeling of being the ultimate middling team.

Based on recent history, it will be onwards and downwards!

More league teams have plaged premier league than those that haven't. We are in the latter minority.

And when you consider transfers, players would probably judge 'size' by opportunity to play at a better level.

As it stands, Brentford are better placed to reach the Prem than us, something they narrowly missed last season.

So many dick waving contests amongst fans about 'big' club mentality. Don't we take the piss out of Leeds and Forest for thinking they're 'big'.

Yet both have achieved more in a few seasons of their history than we have. I love this club, it's in my blood and soul, but WE ARE NOT A BIG CLUB.

That's not to say we won't be, or can't be. But in terms of player recruitment - which is ultimately where this stems from - the likes of Swansea and Hull are streets ahead of us in terms of how attractive a transfer to those clubs is for a player.

I find this topic of 'bigger' clubs ridiculous...

Every club thinks their club is bigger than it is. At this point in time Brentford are a 'bigger' club than us because they had a good season in a higher league than us last year and therefore more people hear about them.

I'm constantly hounded by the response 'oh, what league are they in?' every time I tell people I'm a city fan, sometimes I get the 'are they the blue and white ones?'. Do I give a shit? No, i explain the obvious difference and move on because I love my club

We are a small club because we have never had a season in the Premiership and people don't know us... Do I give a shit? No, we'll be there soon

Pretty much what this guy said

I don't understand the eternal dick measuring contest that is "whose club is bigger than whose". I'd be a Bristol City fan whether we were winning the Champions League or fighting relegation to the conference and how other fans perceive BCFC and me as a fan is a topic about which I have zero ***** to give. The vast majority of football fans in this country probably think we're a tiny tin-pot club from a southwestern back water (and to varying degrees they'd be right!), but I just don't see how that matters to me or any if you

I can understand people's frustration on Swansea and Hull, they were as big as Rovers about 10 years ago!

Burnley however, are a very historic club who are easily bigger than us to be fair. In the 50's/60's they were very successful and won trophies along with Wolves!

That chart above is quiet interesting when it comes to League achievement. We're 50th. shame it didn't paste as intended but link here.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/ClubLeagueHistorySummary.html

Goes to show we really are the league's classic Div 2 / Div 3 club:

Div 1: 9 seasons;

Div 2: 47 seasons;

Div 3: 46 seasons;

Div 4: 2 seasons.

I'd be interested to see a similar table for the post-war period. I'd imagine we'd be a bit higher than 50th.

We must be near the top of the table when it comes to biggest club to have NEVER won a major trophy 

(1st Division/Premier League, F.A. Cup. League Cup or any trophy in Europe)

(even our emocon is holding up a 3rd division trophy  :winner_third_h4h: )

Have you seen the competition locally to Brentford when it comes to supporting a team? Considering, I think they've done rather well.

As a Club...Bristol City is arguably the biggest underachievers in this country.

Considering the fan base, lack of local competition and amount of money thrown at it over the years.

We've had a decent Stadium in the past....and an even better one being built now.

We've done **** all in pretty much all our years.

A few years in Div 1 back in the 70's where we struggled and ****ed that up too, until almost extinction.

We are a Club that continually fails...we show a glimpse then always **** it up.

Regardless of managers and playing staff....we still eventually **** it up.

We have the potential...but never achieve it....hence the 'sleeping giant' moniker for years.

You've only got to see how well we did last year and compare it to this seasons start, to see what type of club we are like.

Big Dreamers that never achieve....

wow that was a depressing read..

When we were in the first div (1977) we were 16th in the attendance league with an average crowd of 22,767 and above Norwich,Middlesbrough,QPR,Leicester,Coventry and Stoke.

A fair bell weather of where we might expect to be come the day we are back in the top flight squire.

50th seems right. We are currently the team with the longest run of not playing in either the top or bottom Leagues. Just bouncing between second and third tier, no highs, no lows, and in my 37 years, a League Cup semi and winning at Anfield. Being the team who has won the Football League Trophy most times just adds to that feeling of being the ultimate middling team.

Based on recent history, it will be onwards and downwards!

Can you expand on this? How long have we been in the middles league compared to the second place club? would do my research but am at work. :fear:

I don't really care anyway about how others view us. I spend all my time hoping we will keep on the upward spiral and the rest will take care of itself.

Talking of perceptions Banksy's Dysmal Land just got a good slot on CNN... Weston-super-Mare now on the radar of the Philippines and the world!!

So how doe's a club like Stoke City compare to Bristol City ? That missed chance when City totally screwed up promotion to the Premiership in the last few games losing at Stoke City who then took their chance to overtake us and have been there ever since and like Hull City got to a FA Cup Final.

Compared to many clubs in this league City are a club they expect to beat looking at our away record against Derby County,Forest,Wolves,Stoke City,Birmingham City,Ipswich Town,Boro. Its grim reading if City had Burnley's history old and modern then high quality players might give it a go down here ?

Its like having the Banksy exhibition here in Weston national headlines the crowd this morning snaking down the seafront expecting something new and different hopefully BCFC can do the same thing over the next 5 years. 

It's all irrelevant.

Years ago I remember looking at the likes of Stockport, Tranmere and Port Vale with envy. Always a division higher, now look at them.

Likewise look at the change of fortunes of the successful clubs already listed. how quickly can it all go the other way, Plymouth and Blackpool, even Yeovil went passed us, yet now they're miles behind.

I find this topic of 'bigger' clubs ridiculous...

Every club thinks their club is bigger than it is. At this point in time Brentford are a 'bigger' club than us because they had a good season in a higher league than us last year and therefore more people hear about them.

I'm constantly hounded by the response 'oh, what league are they in?' every time I tell people I'm a city fan, sometimes I get the 'are they the blue and white ones?'. Do I give a shit? No, i explain the obvious difference and move on because I love my club

We are a small club because we have never had a season in the Premiership and people don't know us... Do I give a shit? No, we'll be there soon

Logic is slightly flawed, Pompey are a big club and were recently in the PL.. They are a bigger club than Brentford, as are Sheffield United. Current league stature has nothing to do with it.

Plus I dont think we are a small club, we are a midsize club with the potential to be a big club

Logic is slightly flawed, Pompey are a big club and were recently in the PL.. They are a bigger club than Brentford, as are Sheffield United. Current league stature has nothing to do with it.

Plus I dont think we are a small club, we are a midsize club with the potential to be a big club

Current league status has everything to do with it. Everything else is a distraction, an irrelevance or an excuse for misguided fans of once successful clubs to cling on to the idea they're more important than they are. Yes, Portsmouth once won the FA Cup and were a Premier League team in the past. So were Barnsley and Swindon. That has no bearing whatsoever on the fact Portsmouth are now a League Two club and that's the end of it.

You can think we're a midsize club with the potential to be a big club if you want to. I suspect fans of most teams that dwindle about the lower reaches of the championship or league one think the same. It won't change the fact that the average neutral fan, footballer or supporter will think "who are they?", "what division are they in?", "are they the ones that play in the blue or the white?" It's brilliant to believe in the club but a mistake to confuse that with the reality of other people's perceptions.

Current league status has everything to do with it. Everything else is a distraction, an irrelevance or an excuse for misguided fans of once successful clubs to cling on to the idea they're more important than they are. Yes, Portsmouth once won the FA Cup and were a Premier League team in the past. So were Barnsley and Swindon. That has no bearing whatsoever on the fact Portsmouth are now a League Two club and that's the end of it.

You can think we're a midsize club with the potential to be a big club if you want to. I suspect fans of most teams that dwindle about the lower reaches of the championship or league one think the same. It won't change the fact that the average neutral fan, footballer or supporter will think "who are they?", "what division are they in?", "are they the ones that play in the blue or the white?" It's brilliant to believe in the club but a mistake to confuse that with the reality of other people's perceptions.

Dont agree with that whatsoever... When we were above both Leeds and Forest who had been both in L1 when we were in Championship, who are the neutrals going to talk about more? Us or them despite being in the lower league?  Its not just based on current league status, they would be talking about them as they are bigger clubs.

I have lived away from Bristol for a while now and can tell you around the country we are seen as a small club.

I live near Watford now and even their fans see us as a small club even though their ground and fan base is smaller their ours.

I think it's purely down to lack of history and lack of time in the top division. Not long a go Hull would have been seen as smaller than us but a few seasons in the Premiership and that has all changed.

Dont agree with that whatsoever... When we were above both Leeds and Forest who had been both in L1 when we were in Championship, who are the neutrals going to talk about more? Us or them despite being in the lower league?  Its not just based on current league status, they would be talking about them as they are bigger clubs.

To a limited extent, perhaps, because it's so unusual seeing a team that were once the dominant force in the country in the third tier.  Even then, we're talking about a club that was dominant in football for several years and another that once won the league and the European cups - perhaps their success would be emblazoned in the memory of fans of a certain vintage.  Portsmouth were never dominant to the same extent - just had a brief spell in the top flight and won a cup.   That sort of history is quickly forgotten.

so who is the Bigger club

Watford or Leeds?

Bournemouth or Sheffield Utd

Have you seen the competition locally to Brentford when it comes to supporting a team? Considering, I think they've done rather well.

As a Club...Bristol City is arguably the biggest underachievers in this country.

Considering the fan base, lack of local competition and amount of money thrown at it over the years.

We've had a decent Stadium in the past....and an even better one being built now.

A few years in Div 1 back in the 70's where we struggled and ****ed that up too, until almost extinction.

We are a Club that continually fails...we show a glimpse then always **** it up.

We have the potential...but never achieve it....hence the 'sleeping giant' moniker for years.

You've only got to see how well we did last year and compare it to this seasons start, to see what type of club we are like.

But we love them

After reading this I'm going to take some valium and lie down in a dark room for a few hours. Depressing much!!!!

Archived