IGNORED

Public Perception Of Bristol City

Kingswood Village

It's not just the 'publics' perception of this Club, but also our own fans that seems to be a problem.

Reading some of the posts and threads this morning, about why Gray didn't want to come to us, and the reasons, is hilarious.

I'm under the impression that some fans think we are huge in the world of English football.

I think that impression has come about because of a few things.

Our owner being a Billionaire who hasn't been afraid to splash the cash.

A brand new stadium being built and talk of it for a few years.

Getting to the play off finals a few years ago.

Getting to a few Wembley finals in the JPT or whatever it's called these days.

Signing the likes of David James.

And making Million pound bids for players.

Plus being the 'biggest' club for miles around....no competition.

Unfortunately...Successful football Clubs are not built on Rich owners and Shiny Stadiums and Big dreams alone.

It's what happens on the field that counts....and that's what potential transfer prospects and other fans look at.

Success is built on a stable, well run football Club, that has everything in place to run efficiently and professionally.

I've banged on about this in the past...but we as a Club have been really poorly and Unprofessionally run for many years...hence the lack of success.

We've had endless managers and playing staff....but eventually they have all failed....showed a glimpse...but then failed.

From the top to the bottom....mistake after mistake.

SL has admitted to his own mistakes financially and emotionally.

We have had a poorly run backroom staff for years. Poor Scouting set up ( could still be massively improved ), poor coaching, poor development, poor Academy, no cohesion between development sides and first team, large and frequent turnover of staff, money thrown at short term fix's, poor leadership, poor management, jobs for the boys mentality, no patience.....just bobbing along hoping money and short term fix's will eventually work.

I've spoken to many managers in the past, and each one to a man, has said how shocked and surprised they were, at how poorly set up this Club is/was and how unprofessionally it was run compared to other Clubs with far less money. They were promised one thing often and never received it....empty promises.

I see us as a Shiny Porsche, BUT with no engine. Not quiet a supercar....trying to look the part, but when you look deeper, you see it's just a wannabe, trying to be something it's not....without the essentials in place to make it work and successful....AN ILLUSION.

BUILD YOURSELF AN ENGINE FIRST, THAT WORKS AND IS EFFICIENT AND DOESN'T BREAK DOWN....SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T NEED DIFFERENT MECHANICS TO FIX IT AND DOESN'T NEED REGULAR SERVICES OR FANCY NEW PARTS....PERFORM....THEN ADD THE SHINY GO FASTER BITS.

Unfortunately...in the past and now...players and most fans, see us, as the dreamers at the back of the grid, with a Billionaire owner with big dreams, but with a poor pit crew and no back up and no wins to our name.

At THIS point in time we are one of the smallest teams in the Championship as one of the five who have NEVER played in the PREMIERSHIP. This is what the definition of big club is classed as these days. Wether right or wrong is irrelevant. I'm aware we get bigger gates than at least six clubs in this league, but we really aint acheived much in the last five seasons as far as the majority of clubs in this league are concerned. HOPEFULLY City can end that story.

We are lucky, Bristol is a great City, large City, great catchment, the potential for us is staggering.

Same cant be said for Hull, Heathrow FC, Sjoke and all the no mark northern towns like Blackburn, Bolton, Burnley etc.

We are the epitome of the sleeping giant, the English Barcelona not yet awakened... 

You had me agreeing until the no mark comments.

All have played in the top flight for far longer than us and have produced better teams over the years. Blackburn are one of five teams to win the Prem, Bolton have produced some great England players, when I first came to England Burnley were a regular 1st division side

City has no God given right to top flight, or 2nd flight football either. In terms of catchment area, you have the pikey neighbours, Yeovil, Swindle, Plymuff, Exeter, Torquay, not to mention, Bath City, Cheltenham Town, Forest Green, Gloucester City, all in an area of far less populatin than Lancashire, with a far smaller tradition of top flight football. Indeed every single West Country side has been deep in financial shit at least once in the last forty or so years. Almost all of the sides have been in L2 or equivalent, and in at least 6 have either spent time in the conference or never got higher. City havent been in either of the lowest division or God forbid the conference. We're lucky. We've been in the basement more recently than the top flight, and even our stints in the Championship have bar one flukey season have hardly lit the division up have they.

We have to earn the right, or get an Abramovitch to go to the top flight....neither is gonna happen any time soon.

Unfortunately, anyone outside of Bristol hasn't got a clue how passionate the City is about football. They think Bristol is a rugby 'town' and we aren't even in the Premiership for that anymore.

Also the 1970's is just too long ago for any of the players who play now to remember Bristol City as a top flight club, but fortunately most can't remember 1982 either. So Bristol City is seen as a club who only stays in the Championship for a couple of years before they go back down again.

Personally it makes my blood boil, especially with the investment being made in the club now and after a record breaking season.

Bristol is one of the nicest Cities to live in in the UK, so if it's not good enough for a kiddie who played for tin pot Peterborough and another who played in the non league a couple of seasons ago then neither of the c***s are worth a whopping 9 million of Bristol City's money.

I would rather go continental and get a better player for half the money who would love to play in the 4th most watched league in the world for a decent size club with ambition where they are not influenced by recent history over the last 20 years and a media which overlooks Bristol City every time.

I still seeth about when we were top of the Championship and Geoff and the Sky mob ignored us for months and on end, never sending a camera to the ground and giving us such little attention that it started to become blatantly obvious that nobody was interested in Bristol City outside of Bristol. It took someone to ring in to Soccer Saturday to actually get them to stop taking the ****ing p**s!

They call us just 'Bristol' too which is ****ing infuriating. Never hear them just say 'Manchester' though or even just 'Sheffield' for that matter.

****ing w***ers the lot of them. If we ever get back to the top flight then I guess we'll just have to do it the hard way.

No one likes us......Up the City!

You had me agreeing until the no mark comments.

All have played in the top flight for far longer than us and have produced better teams over the years. Blackburn are one of five teams to win the Prem, Bolton have produced some great England players, when I first came to England Burnley were a regular 1st division side

City has no God given right to top flight, or 2nd flight football either. In terms of catchment area, you have the pikey neighbours, Yeovil, Swindle, Plymuff, Exeter, Torquay, not to mention, Bath City, Cheltenham Town, Forest Green, Gloucester City, all in an area of far less populatin than Lancashire, with a far smaller tradition of top flight football. Indeed every single West Country side has been deep in financial shit at least once in the last forty or so years. Almost all of the sides have been in L2 or equivalent, and in at least 6 have either spent time in the conference or never got higher. City havent been in either of the lowest division or God forbid the conference. We're lucky. We've been in the basement more recently than the top flight, and even our stints in the Championship have bar one flukey season have hardly lit the division up have they.

We have to earn the right, or get an Abramovitch to go to the top flight....neither is gonna happen any time soon.

I think what he meant was those particular 'towns' are no mark.. Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Burnley etc are all just dull un-inspiring places arnt they really lets be honest in comparison to our great City.

Football League show just made us like right mugs, like some dog that won't get adopted

"Why won't players go to City, is it the manager?"

"They bid 9m for a striker and nobody wants to go to them"

And another quote talking about deep lying problems on the field, maybe if they watched the game they might change their opinion. Actually the last 4 games. 

With the obvious exception of the Gas, pretty well every club can claim to be a sleeping giant.

Don't forget that even Orient and Nothsmpton have been in the top division, and Bury hold the FA Cup Final scoring record.

As somebody pointed out, if every country in Europe expanded to its natural (i.e, largest) boundaries, the continent would have to be four times the size that it is. It's a bit like that with Big Clubs.

Archived