IGNORED

Public Perception Of Bristol City

Kingswood Village

I might be wrong but the football is broken comments was probably about the extortionate price for an extremely average player, nothing about us. Must outsiders just didn't have a clue how we had that kind of money.

Yes it was definitely about the money, however Hull and Burnley are paying the same as what we bid, but without the backlash over the amount. 

so who is the Bigger club

Watford or Leeds?

Bournemouth or Sheffield Utd

As I've said earlier in the thread, 'bigger' is an utterly spurious and irrelevant question which is only ever brought up by a fans who are jealous that a club they deem to be inferior are more successful than them.  It's an attempt to pretend there's some objective way to judge clubs so fans can try to claim some magical place on an assumed hierarchy even though results prove them to be wrong.

Watford are clearly currently more successful than Leeds.  They've been promoted twice since Leeds were last in the top-flight.  They can afford to pay higher wages and transfer fees and they can attract better players.   Any Leeds fan trying to claim the club are currently considered more significant in the football world than Watford is deluding themselves. 

Bournemouth are clearly currently successful than Sheffield United, who've now pretty much taken up residence in League One.  They too can afford to pay higher wages and transfer fees and they can attract better players.  Any Sheffield United fan trying to claim the club are currently considered more significant to the football world than Bournemouth is deluding themselves.

That should answer your question.  Doubtless there are Leeds and Sheffield United fans who'd rustle up some hot air and nonsense about other factors to try to prove they're 'bigger' due to the fact they're jealous their status in the football world has fallen below these perceive lesser teams but jealous hot air and nonsense is all it is.  No fan who talks about 'bigger' clubs should ever be taken seriously when doing so.

Yes it was definitely about the money, however Hull and Burnley are paying the same as what we bid, but without the backlash over the amount. 

Because they were in the premiership. Footballs going mad because Burnley and Hull for some reason get rewarded with a huge financial injection because they got relegated. Burnley are hardly ripping up the championship at the moment are they?

Does Bristol have a perception problem?

Dwight Gayle and now Andre Gray have both turned down the chance to join Bristol City. And it's now beginning to be a real problem for Steve Cotterill to attract the calibre of player needed to fulfill the club's aims of not only competing in the Championship but ultimately making it into the Premier League.

And as The Bristol Post football pundit Leroy Rosenior claims, it is a perception problem that today's footballers have about Bristol as a footballing city.

He said: "For today's young footballers Bristol just has no history as a Premier League club and that is the problem.

"These young gifted players all want to be playing the Premier League and they are looking at Bristol City and saying that they can't remember them having been in the top tier.

"This is the difficulty that Steve Cotterill is working with. He knows the players he wants to bring to the club, but the players are not convinced at the moment that Bristol City are ready to leap into the Premier League.

"But when you look at the infrastructure, the stadium, the training ground and just how majority shareholder Steve Lansdown wants to put Bristol on the sporting map of England they couldn't be more wrong.

"However, these players are asking themselves would Hull City, Brighton or Ipswich be better bets to get into the Premier League and voting not to come to Bristol. These places are smaller places but bigger when it comes to Premier League exposure.

"That is why it is so difficult to get these high-profile players to sign. It would make people's eyes water at the amount of money being offered by Championship clubs to players in an effort to get into the Premier League. I know because my son Liam is playing in the Championship and it would really shock people.

"Bournemouth are the exception that proves the rule but they gathered around them a bunch of young, talented and hungry footballers who - with the addition of goalkeeper Artur Boric - have made the Premier League having had no previous history.

"Last season City were able to do all their transfer business under the radar early and benefited from it immensely, this season has been considerably more difficult and I'm sure it's down to that perception problem."

I have lived away from Bristol for a while now and can tell you around the country we are seen as a small club.

I live near Watford now and even their fans see us as a small club even though their ground and fan base is smaller their ours.

I think it's purely down to lack of history and lack of time in the top division. Not long a go Hull would have been seen as smaller than us but a few seasons in the Premiership and that has all changed.

Really? I get the opposite.  Most people I speak to acknowledge that we are a big club, but just massive underachievers.

Its not rocket science when you think about it. Bristol is a big City, we have a decent away following and despite years of shite we still get fairly decent home attendances.

Depends who your asking, being in London a lot of the time I can tell you that those who know English football will label Bristol City as a "good" football league club with a passionate following.

Ask the vast majority of football fans who know very little outside their own club and the premiership....they will label us as a bit of a "nothing" club and "small" for the championship despite being factually incorrect.

The South west is a bit of a different breed when it comes to football.

So how doe's a club like Stoke City compare to Bristol City ? That missed chance when City totally screwed up promotion to the Premiership in the last few games losing at Stoke City who then took their chance to overtake us and have been there ever since and like Hull City got to a FA Cup Final.

Compared to many clubs in this league City are a club they expect to beat looking at our away record against Derby County,Forest,Wolves,Stoke City,Birmingham City,Ipswich Town,Boro. Its grim reading if City had Burnley's history old and modern then high quality players might give it a go down here ?

Its like having the Banksy exhibition here in Weston national headlines the crowd this morning snaking down the seafront expecting something new and different hopefully BCFC can do the same thing over the next 5 years. 

How is Banksy up front or in centre midfield?

Sign him up and they will come.

Do people really do Dick waving contests? Just asking like.

It would probably be a better watch than  Channel 5's Football League Show :shocking:

From my experience of living amongst the good people of the Midlands and 'far' South West, I'd say, just about on the radar as existing for most and amongst some, acknowledgement for having some 'game lads'.

Bit disappointing really.

Rather though be a minnow in a big pond than a Barca in the Conference :-)

Depends who your asking, being in London a lot of the time I can tell you that those who know English football will label Bristol City as a "good" football league club with a passionate following.

Ask the vast majority of football fans who know very little outside their own club and the premiership....they will label us as a bit of a "nothing" club and "small" for the championship despite being factually incorrect.

The South west is a bit of a different breed when it comes to football.

This. Whilst living in London for 12 years, the above is exactly what I found ... whilst moved back 7 years ago, perhaps the fact that in my expeirence those who 'got us' were fans of teams such Leyton Orient (and previously Brentford), gives a clue of why.

All feels like we're back to that dreadful word "potential". So many players and managers have joined us in the past and talked about our "potential". But the reality is that we've never really translated the "potential" into "achievement".

Bristol is a big city and with some success in this league we will be able to fill our refurbished stadium when it is complete. SL is doing his best by getting us that stadium so we appear to the outside world as a club that is moving forward (as well as generating additional income) which will help us to compete. He is also willing to fund the transfers that will give us the calibre of player that we need.

So there is an opportunity over the next couple of years for us to turn that "potential" into "achievement". The management team at the club knows that it has the backing of the owner in the transfer market and needs to go out and deliver the signings we need. That is what they are (generously) being paid for. 

Bournemouth managed it and so can me.

How is Banksy up front or in centre midfield?

Sign him up and they will come.

I reckon he'd be anonymous all game

We are to potential what Liverpool or Wolves are to history, it is literally our only 'fall back' in these discussions

Public perception shouldn't stop us causing a stir though, Wigan, Fulham, Reading, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton and Hull have all surpassed us on their respective rises up the league in the last 15-20 years. Just as we shouldn't use potential in a dick waving contest, we shouldn't use public perception as an excuse for not achieving anything or improving our squad.

Ok I texted my mate "what is your opinion of Bristol City?"

His reply was "You know it. But for the record: deluded, histrionic, semi fascist, sleeping giants."

And no, he's not a gashead

Your mate is Steve Lansdowne isn't it?

Ok I texted my mate "what is your opinion of Bristol City?"

His reply was "You know it. But for the record: deluded, histrionic, semi fascist, sleeping giants."

And no, he's not a gashead

And who does this wordsmith support?

Isn't semi-fascist a bit like slightly pregnant?

Histrionic? I'd say generally we are the opposite. Slightly melancholic even.

The first rule of Dick Waving Club is....you do not talk about Dick Waving Club.

The second rule of Dick Waving Club....YOU DO NOT TALK about Dick Waving Club.

The third rule of the Dick waving club is .....only hope meeting in the summer or indoors with the heating on.

Now I'm not entirely sure about the differences between FFP in the football league as opposed to the Premier League, but for me, the fact that you have a shed load of fairweather fans just waiting to throw some money at the club is one of your biggest assets. How nuts would Bristol go if you got to another FA cup final for instance? Swansea are a great blueprint for you guys, not least for the decent football, but because they have a battle for supporters with the Rugby, yet very little competition for miles and miles around. Obviously you live in a fairly affluent place compared to the ****hole that is Swansea, but my point is if you followed their trajectory then when you got to where they are, with your potential fan base, you wouldn't be stalling. And of all the clubs in or around the championship the FFP rulings would make you a really good bet for being able to consolidate yourselves as a top 15 club. If you did it right you shouldn't have to go through the process of being a yo yo club. Id say Middlesboro, Wednesday, Forest, Leeds and maybe QPR if they sorted themselves out could have the same aspirations as you in that regard. Based on the size of the potential fan base and the clubs historys.

As a Villa fan I have to conceed the horrible reality that Stoke, Swansea and Southampton are better run, more stable clubs than my own. Are they bigger? not in my eyes. But are they a more attractive proposition for any potential transfer targets? you bet they are. I feel a bit sorry for you all that all the ridiculous FFP regulations are holding you back from just splashing the cash tbh. I am not a fan of the closed shop mentality and know alot of Man City fans and Chelsea fans who have tasted alot more relegation than me in their lifetimes and I dont begrudge them their moments in the sun. But seeing as you are constrained that means the hard battle for more income to allow you to increase spending "within your means" has truly begun, and THAT is what might mean it will take a little time to get to the promised land. 

Looking in I think the whole thing with Gayle was because they recognise the need for a marquee signing to really kick start something positive. For you, like us at the moment, in order to beat away the competition you may very well have to pay a little over the odds in transfer fee's, Agent/signing on fees and most importantly wages. And wages really is the key thing here imo. Was it Ranieri yesterday saying Inler would be Leicester's Maradona (no pressure lad!), well I think something like that. I almost hate to use him as an example, but the polarising nature of Joey Barton could illustrate my point perfectly. Is he a ****? obviously. Would at least 50% of you want him anywhere near your club? probably not. Would other players want to come and play in a team with him? probably. Would it make the rest of the armchair fans sit up and take notice? get you in the media spotlight? Yup. Now I'm not suggesting he's going to Bristol or anything but the point is one big signing could really make all the difference for you guys at this stage. Whether you'll be "allowed" by the rules to offer them the wages they want though is completely a different problem.

Bristol is a great city though. Close to major transport networks. 2 hours from London, Airport, Great nightlife and importantly lots of nice green bits around it with big expensive houses that footballer types like living in. It's all there. I dont think you have an image problem at all. (mind you 4 stands would help a bit ;) ). I just doubt you can compete with Hull, Burnley et al in the transfer market because they can spend their parachute payments on wages because it's part of their income. Whereas you can't spend the money sat in your owners bank account because it's his and not Bristol City's.

Just an outsiders perspective

Now I'm not entirely sure about the differences between FFP in the football league as opposed to the Premier League, but for me, the fact that you have a shed load of fairweather fans just waiting to throw some money at the club is one of your biggest assets. How nuts would Bristol go if you got to another FA cup final for instance? Swansea are a great blueprint for you guys, not least for the decent football, but because they have a battle for supporters with the Rugby, yet very little competition for miles and miles around. Obviously you live in a fairly affluent place compared to the ****hole that is Swansea, but my point is if you followed their trajectory then when you got to where they are, with your potential fan base, you wouldn't be stalling. And of all the clubs in or around the championship the FFP rulings would make you a really good bet for being able to consolidate yourselves as a top 15 club. If you did it right you shouldn't have to go through the process of being a yo yo club. Id say Middlesboro, Wednesday, Forest, Leeds and maybe QPR if they sorted themselves out could have the same aspirations as you in that regard. Based on the size of the potential fan base and the clubs historys.

As a Villa fan I have to conceed the horrible reality that Stoke, Swansea and Southampton are better run, more stable clubs than my own. Are they bigger? not in my eyes. But are they a more attractive proposition for any potential transfer targets? you bet they are. I feel a bit sorry for you all that all the ridiculous FFP regulations are holding you back from just splashing the cash tbh. I am not a fan of the closed shop mentality and know alot of Man City fans and Chelsea fans who have tasted alot more relegation than me in their lifetimes and I dont begrudge them their moments in the sun. But seeing as you are constrained that means the hard battle for more income to allow you to increase spending "within your means" has truly begun, and THAT is what might mean it will take a little time to get to the promised land.

Looking in I think the whole thing with Gayle was because they recognise the need for a marquee signing to really kick start something positive. For you, like us at the moment, in order to beat away the competition you may very well have to pay a little over the odds in transfer fee's, Agent/signing on fees and most importantly wages. And wages really is the key thing here imo. Was it Ranieri yesterday saying Inler would be Leicester's Maradona (no pressure lad!), well I think something like that. I almost hate to use him as an example, but the polarising nature of Joey Barton could illustrate my point perfectly. Is he a ****? obviously. Would at least 50% of you want him anywhere near your club? probably not. Would other players want to come and play in a team with him? probably. Would it make the rest of the armchair fans sit up and take notice? get you in the media spotlight? Yup. Now I'm not suggesting he's going to Bristol or anything but the point is one big signing could really make all the difference for you guys at this stage. Whether you'll be "allowed" by the rules to offer them the wages they want though is completely a different problem.

Bristol is a great city though. Close to major transport networks. 2 hours from London, Airport, Great nightlife and importantly lots of nice green bits around it with big expensive houses that footballer types like living in. It's all there. I dont think you have an image problem at all. (mind you 4 stands would help a bit ;) ). I just doubt you can compete with Hull, Burnley et al in the transfer market because they can spend their parachute payments on wages because it's part of their income. Whereas you can't spend the money sat in your owners bank account because it's his and not Bristol City's.

Just an outsiders perspective

Thanks for that Sir.

Really? I get the opposite. Most people I speak to acknowledge that we are a big club, but just massive underachievers.

Its not rocket science when you think about it. Bristol is a big City, we have a decent away following and despite years of shite we still get fairly decent home attendances.

I think it depends on who they support. Most premiership fans know very little about us.

Archived