IGNORED

Agard Up To The Challenge?

reddogkev

Now Agard has scored, and looked quite lively in his appearance against Leeds, I wonder if he's capable of filling the shoes of this expensive striker we seem to covet. True his name doesn't begin with the letter G, but I'm sure he won't mind if we all call him Kieran Garda instead?

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 15 this year (only 3 less than Gray last season), and saves us a massive chunk of money.

Do you think he has what it takes and could he score 15 or more?

Perhaps our move for the 2 unrealistic strikers, was actually a psychological ploy to motivate Agard to step up to this level.  Cotts may have even said something to him after the Leeds draw like, 'There you go, son, see if you can save the club over 6 million.'

Got to be a nice scoring bonus in it for him?

Time will tell, but I'd say we have to give Kieran the chance to show us.

I think he could be. We certainly lack his work rate from the front when he isn't in the side and whilst he will never be the most prolific of strikers because of everything else that he contributes, I can certainly see him being capable of chipping in with 15 goals as part of an effective front two with JK.

He's more than capable.

******* hate it when I read anything derogatory about him.

He is good enough and does the unfashionable work up front, plus scoring goals.

Not many strikers around like him and always does a great job for the team.

It's players like Agard who compliment their teammates, especially the likes of Freeman.

He keeps getting in to positions to score and so because of that, and as he has age very much on his side, I think he is absolutely worth persevering with. If he wasn't getting himself into positions to win chances then I'd be worried.

I think his performance v Brentford too gave cause for optimism.

All the talk about value for money, looking towards resale and giving younger players a chance would ring false if we didn't stick with KA who I think is showing much promise.

I don't think he'll be prolific but give him 35+ games and a good wind and I think he could get 12-15. I've always said that he relies a lot on confidence.

When he's not fully confident his touch and finishing is sometimes horrible to watch....but when he gets a goal, he's a different beast.

As Scrumpy says, he also gets through a shed load of work too. Him and Wilbs have a good understanding too.

Agard seemed to be getting better and better towards the end of last season, he added a bit more of goal threat to the tireless workrate he had all last year. I guess the injury in pre-season has set him back a bit but I think he can score goals at this level and he can certainly help Kodjia find a bit more space with his running

Infact, let's be honest, if KA was currently at another L1 club he would probably be on peoples wish lists as the type of player we should be looking at signing!

Too right.

Interestingly both Agard and Kodjia were born in the same month, so are 26 in October, approaching their peak ages for front men...

I think he's good enough in a 433 for sure, as he played on the wing when he had that amazing season at Rotherham. He will still do well in our system though. He has that ability to get on the end of things, something that wilbs and maybe kodj haven't so much.

I was one of Agards critics last year but when I look at what we wanted to spend on strikers, I am rapidly changing my mind. Given time ( what at Bristol City !!!) he could prove us all wrong, his work rate is excellent when he comes on and I now believe we have to get behind him. Working with Monsieur Kodjia could pay off in time and we still have time and after the last 5 minutes on Wednesday I dont believe we have lost anything except confidence and we can quickly regain that. Even pleased to see Flinty score, he still is a big danger in the opposition box :worship2:

I was one of Agards critics last year but when I look at what we wanted to spend on strikers, I am rapidly changing my mind. Given time ( what at Bristol City !!!) he could prove us all wrong, his work rate is excellent when he comes on and I now believe we have to get behind him. Working with Monsieur Kodjia could pay off in time and we still have time and after the last 5 minutes on Wednesday I dont believe we have lost anything except confidence and we can quickly regain that. Even pleased to see Flinty score, he still is a big danger in the opposition box :worship2:

Flint will score, but so far our delivery at set plays hasn't been good enough apart in 95 min. Against Leeds

We scored so many goals from different positions and different players last season in part due to the running Asgard does. He was tasked to pressure and stretch defenses allowing others space, this in turn led to a lower return from the player himself

His return will be based upon the role he is asked to play. The guy came on and scored you can't ask for much more from him (or Reid and Burns who played well, Burns also did well at Wednesday)

My feeling is that perhaps hanging on to our money and getting these three more involved may be a better plan and perhaps add a forward on loan.

Still we shall see!

Archived