IGNORED

Enforced Changes A Positive

OldlandReddies

Whilst Little's injury and Freeman's suspension might at first looked to be a big disadvantage for City, the surprise inclusion and form of both Bobby Reid and Wes Burns has turned this into a huge positive for us and at the same time might have saved the club a few quid on signing 'replacements' and reinforced the belief that the money spent on the Academy is worth it. The future is rosy.      

Have been thinking the same recently. I remember SOD waxing lyrical about bobby Reid a few times, looks like things are looking up for the player at last. As for Wes? Looks strong, agile and quite settled in this league thus far. Has potential to be a very useful player for us. A midfield/starting line up that consists of three of our home grown players could be a real possibility as some point in the near future

Absolutely right. And it is vital that these young players get a chance and prove they have what it takes. Not only does it save the club financially, but it shows young players in the academy that they will be given a chance if they stay and show promise. It will make players like Andrews and morrell who was linked with liverpool a few years back, realise that it is better to stay where they will be given that chance. A long way to go for burns and Reid, but very optimistic with what I've seen so far this season. And looking forward to seeing more coming through.

Have been thinking the same recently. I remember SOD waxing lyrical about bobby Reid a few times, looks like things are looking up for the player at last. As for Wes? Looks strong, agile and quite settled in this league thus far. Has potential to be a very useful player for us. A midfield/starting line up that consists of three of our home grown players could be a real possibility as some point in the near future

I remember SO'D including Bobby in a few games at the end of the season we went down and he did OK, scoring at Charlton I believe. Joe Bryan was also in the team that season but struggled as he wasn't physically ready at that stage for Championship football but I'm sure he learnt a lot from the experience. In the past our most successful team ever which got promoted from this league was based on our youth team, these players want to play for the club unlike outsiders who sometimes see us as a football backwater. This may be the best way forward for us since we don't seem to be able to spend money on big signings even though we've got it.

When Reid played under SOD, it was in a struggling side....which is difficult for a young player.

During pre-season and now the season proper he is playing with a team of better players and often that helps.

Ditto Burns to some extent, although he is still raw at this level.

I was surprised that BR started over CR yesterday, but guessing (wasn't there) that BR is a midfielder and he SC wanted a proper three in there, and CR would be too attack minded formation-wise. Also, fully expect LF to cone back in after his suspension, but SC will no he's got BR on the bench should he need him.

Would Cotterill have selected both Reid and Burns had the cupboard not been so bare?

Nope. I still personally think Reid is going to have to do a hell of a lot more to convince the management team to be honest.. One game isn't going to be enough, he needs to perform over a consistent number of games IMO.

I remember SO'D including Bobby in a few games at the end of the season we went down and he did OK, scoring at Charlton I believe. Joe Bryan was also in the team that season but struggled as he wasn't physically ready at that stage for Championship football but I'm sure he learnt a lot from the experience. In the past our most successful team ever which got promoted from this league was based on our youth team, these players want to play for the club unlike outsiders who sometimes see us as a football backwater. This may be the best way forward for us since we don't seem to be able to spend money on big signings even though we've got it.

I assume you mean the team that was in the old division one from 1976 to 1980 when you mention our "most successful team ever"??

I'd say our "most successful team ever" was the one that finished second in the top division or the one that got to the FA Cup Final.

Or the one that won 14 league matches in a row, still a record.

But I did love the team of 1976...

Bobby Reid was always regarded as great hope and real prospect and when out on loan at Plymouth was really rated and regular mom displays. He now has an opportunity and chance for him to grasp it here.

Joe was also 'light weight' at one time and let's think how he has become our best asset for a long time?

I am sure Bobby Reid can follow in these footsteps. Wes as well

Bobby Reid was always regarded as great hope and real prospect and when out on loan at Plymouth was really rated and regular mom displays. He now has an opportunity and chance for him to grasp it here.

Joe was also 'light weight' at one time and let's think how he has become our best asset for a long time?

I am sure Bobby Reid can follow in these footsteps. Wes as well

if bobby comes back anything like Jo Bryan did from Plymouth were in for a good season.

Would Cotterill have selected both Reid and Burns had the cupboard not been so bare?

Not really the point.  The fact they have both come in and done really well is.  I am sure if SC didn't think they were good enough they would be gone, regardless of the size of squad.

They are part of this team on merit.  If they continue to play the way they have, then it gives SC a problem for selection.  As a fan that is all you can ask of any player.

Stevo

Whilst Little's injury and Freeman's suspension might at first looked to be a big disadvantage for City, the surprise inclusion and form of both Bobby Reid and Wes Burns has turned this into a huge positive for us and at the same time might have saved the club a few quid on signing 'replacements' and reinforced the belief that the money spent on the Academy is worth it. The future is rosy.

Agree entirely coupled with what I have written in the Andre Gray Debut thread. All relevant factors in our improved performances. Togetherness is the operative word here.

People over react when we lose and then over react when we win.

You can't really blame ppl being excited about Reid possibly breaking into the team and burns getting more game time.

Watching the highlights only great to see Reid making great attacking runs from the midfield and was unlucky not to score.

If it wasn't for cotterils insistence on play wilbs for his height in set pieces attack and defence I wouldn't be suprised to see Reid come in alongside Freeman on some away games in a 5 man midfield

Archived