IGNORED

Video Technology

TNBT

After the incident with Wade last year at Swindon, I was chatting to a well known former Bristol City double winning player (Not Wade ) on the Tuesday following. This issue of video technology came up and he said that he didn't want it as, as many of you have suggested, it stops the flow of the game and it would lose its appeal as a sport with all the stop start.

Maybe this the view of a lot of players not just this one...

There are people on here that don't want it either and they're not professional footballers.

Opinions are just opinions.....

For all those who are against technology how would you feel if we lost to an offside goal which costs us promotion or relegation? Or is it just still part of football? What if we lost a play off final to an offside goal costing us a place in the prem and 100 million?

Do people really think the founders of football would not have used this technology if it was available to them? They may aswell have just used jumpers for goal posts and stuck with kicking around pigs.

Offsides would be very easy to implement and so it should be to ensure the correct results.

For all those who are against technology how would you feel if we lost to an offside goal which costs us promotion or relegation? Or is it just still part of football? What if we lost a play off final to an offside goal costing us a place in the prem and 100 million?

Do people really think the founders of football would not have used this technology if it was available to them? They may aswell have just used jumpers for goal posts and stuck with kicking around pigs.

Offsides would be very easy to implement and so it should be to ensure the correct results.

Still part of football, leave it alone I say.

The technology will become faster and less obtrusive, I can see the services of a ref being dispensed with. As money invades the game more and more, it will happen.

It's not a matter of if, it will be when.

The technology will become faster and less obtrusive, I can see the services of a ref being dispensed with. As money invades the game more and more, it will happen.

It's not a matter of if, it will be when.

If you follow this logic though you may as well get rid of the players as they make errors, did you see the miss from the Man U player tonight? Honda could have probably programmed a civic to score that.

The problem is, tv cameras freeze the replay just as the player is about to pass the ball.

In reality, the Lino watches the ball get played then looks across the line, in that split second the forward player will have run about 3-4 yards making him look offside.

The real view the Lino gets is when the ball has travelled about 5 yards from ( let's say) the midfielders pass.

It's easy for the pundits and viewers to make the decision from a replay, but not for the Lino or these same people in ' real time'

The game is played by and officiated by humans, let's keep it that way,

As a side note, I'm running the line in a game this evening, I may make a mistake, but I guarantee the players will make a lot more than I do!

100% in agreement.

its part and parcel of this beautiful game.

Goal line technology is more of a digital, did it cross the line or not, quick review that does not disrupt the flow of the game.

If the ref gets it wrong, it keeps the ex-pros in business in the football studios and also adds to the madness and banter in the local pubs.

Love the game - don't turn it into television drama.

How about four linesman though, and to stop the game for offside it needs both flags up.

Same logic to award a penalty.

/ Genius.

When this becomes true, remember where you heard it.

Technology can only work for me on matters of 'fact' not matters of 'opinion'. 'Did the ball cross the line?' It's a simple yes or no. 'Was contact in or out of the box?' again it is a fact, yes or no.

But offsides and fouls and even handballs are still matters of opinion due to the current 'laws' of the game. If they tweak the laws for offside so that there's none of this not interfering with play interpretation or players being or not being in keepers eyeline etc etc and just say you are offside, then I can see the technology working well, much as it does for goal line, as it will be quick. For me, having another load of ref's sat infront of screens giving their opinion will just be a case of too many chiefs. What happens when they disagree.

The biggest problem currently at the top level of the game is players feigning injury. I getting fed up of trying to justify to my rugby loving friends that Football players arnt weak and feeble, they are doing it deliberately to break up play or get a decision, but then I think, what has football become when we are accepting this sort of behaviour as 'part of the game'?

I'm opposed to it.

Referees and umpires are as much a part of the game as players and their decisions add to the narrative. They may occasionally make the wrong decision but

so be it. Players make wrong decisions all the time. If everybody got everything right it would be a very dull game indeed.

I also wouldn't change my mind if City were cost promotion or condemned to relegation by an incorrect decision. It's just one small incident in a long season, and blaming the ref for one mistake would be like blaming Lee Miller for hitting the post against Swindon in 2004. Plenty do, but in reality the team should have just been better in other games.

All the technology does is make it less of a sport and more like a computer game. I'd rather keep those two things separate.

Let each side challenge one decision each half. If they are proved right, they get an indirect free kick where the offence was (or wasn't), and they keep their right to challenge another decision.

Hopefully this would keep the amount of stoppages in each game to a minimum, and teams would only challenge big decisions and where they are confident that a mistake has been made.

Let each side challenge one decision each half. If they are proved right, they get an indirect free kick where the offence was (or wasn't), and they keep their right to challenge another decision.

Hopefully this would keep the amount of stoppages in each game to a minimum, and teams would only challenge big decisions and where they are confident that a mistake has been made.

Is there a time out where they consider whether its worth an appeal, can the ref counter appeal, can the opposition appeal against the appeal or appeal the revised decision?

I like football the way it is. Leave it alone.

Personally that sounds horrible.

People say it will disrupt the flow of the game but with all the time wasting that happens already it wouldn't be any different. The time would just be added on at the end.

What will that add up to?.  I like to know what time a game is going to finish, barring a serious injury etc, as I have other interests outside of football that are planned around it. All time wasting certainly does not get added on at the end of the game.

Archived