IGNORED

Video Technology

TNBT

Was wondering what other peoples views on this are after what has happened in a couple of the games so far this season regarding Beneteke goal in the Liverfool game the other week and last night with Ramsey getting ruled offside when on or is it just Liverfool are paying officials off ?

Do people think it will add to much time or is it just the next progression after goal line technology?

If someone can set out a fool-proof, immediate way for it to be introduced then yes, but I've not seen one.

What if someone is flagged offside from a pass, the referee blows and they then challenge the decision, being later proved right. Short of playing the exact same pass, with the defenders in the exact same position, you aren't going to be able to give a fair 'advantage' back to the attacking team, without penalising either them or the defending team for a mistake made by the officials.

Football would lose something without the debate from decisions, too. If players didn't make mistakes we'd have nothing to talk about and football would be sanitised and boring. This would be part-way towards that, IMO.

What distinguishes the rest of it from goal-line technology is there is no grey area. The ball is either in or out, the decision is split-second and fool proof. It's a no brainer.

Was wondering what other peoples views on this are after what has happened in a couple of the games so far this season regarding Beneteke goal in the Liverfool game the other week and last night with Ramsey getting ruled offside when on or is it just Liverfool are paying officials off

Do people think it will add to much time or is it just the next progression after goal line technology?

It's the next progression. It's inevitable that with all the fuss over the ball being over the line or not led eventually to goal line technology.

It's a given that should a goal be either scored or disallowed with a question of offside in the build up that technology will be introduced. The mechanics are already available. It's just a matter of honing it so the linesman and referee know almost immediately.

Similar in some ways to the third umpire checking the front line when a wicket falls.

The trouble is they keep changing the offside rule & those that need to know what's going on, sadly don't know their ass from their elbow!!

It's starting to get to the stage where we'll end up with no refs or linesmen!!

As with cricket, the umpires no longer call no balls unless there's a wicket & the 3rd umpire takes a look at it, the amount of runs it's costing the batting team is ridiculous but because the technology is there, they are leaving it to the technology & I think that is sadly where we are heading with football!!

It never used to be a problem from about 5-10 years ago & the previous hundred or so years before that.

The day they start stopping games to review decisions is the day i walk away from watching professional football!!

I thought the same when goal line technology was first introduced but I was wrong to be concerned. It's almost instantaneous in today's game. I'm sure the technology could be adapted to do the same with the offside decisions.

Not sure on my view on it personally can see the benefits and the cons. The thing I worry about is where does it stop, fair enough for maybe offside and goals but when will they try bringing it in for every tackle that a player rolls around play acting or would they do it like cricket where you get 3 reviews and would it end up like American soccer like has been suggested.

What does my head in more is the fact that the lines man or the bloke near the goal not stamping their authority when the decision is different to the ref, also think the official near the goal should be the other side to the lines man.

I dont think you can be that harsh on the lino yesterday, it was a very tight call, however i think the strikers should get the benefit of the doubt

The problem is, tv cameras freeze the replay just as the player is about to pass the ball.

In reality, the Lino watches the ball get played then looks across the line, in that split second the forward player will have run about 3-4 yards making him look offside.

The real view the Lino gets is when the ball has travelled about 5 yards from ( let's say) the midfielders pass.

It's easy for the pundits and viewers to make the decision from a replay, but not for the Lino or these same people in ' real time'

The game is played by and officiated by humans, let's keep it that way,

As a side note, I'm running the line in a game this evening, I may make a mistake, but I guarantee the players will make a lot more than I do!

About time it was bought in and with so much money in the game now it also stops the ability of certain people to have an influence or change match outcomes. It has to be used correctly and not for every decision , like last night it took all of a couple of seconds and we all knew it wasn't offside and the goal the other day it only took a few seconds.

I think some of the time could be gotten back by not stopping the game when someone is rolling round like they have been shot and pretending to be injured and just let the physio on like they do in the rugger.

The problem is, tv cameras freeze the replay just as the player is about to pass the ball.

In reality, the Lino watches the ball get played then looks across the line, in that split second the forward player will have run about 3-4 yards making him look offside.

The real view the Lino gets is when the ball has travelled about 5 yards from ( let's say) the midfielders pass.

It's easy for the pundits and viewers to make the decision from a replay, but not for the Lino or these same people in ' real time'

The game is played by and officiated by humans, let's keep it that way,

As a side note, I'm running the line in a game this evening, I may make a mistake, but I guarantee the players will make a lot more than I do!

i agree with you, would not be keen on the technology coming in and you made the point I was trying to, only better worded.

No for me. Football needs the human element of calls. It's what makes it. I hate it when we get a horrid ref but makes it more passionate. They've done the right thing in terms of goals over the line. Leave it at that I think. I like that a ref can make a bad call and don't think we should crucify them when they do.

But.....as in cricket and rugby everyone wants to see the right decisions being made. Football is exactly the same.

Wrong decisions have a huge effect on results. We've already see two wrong decisions in PL already this season and it's cost clubs valuable points. If I was B'muff fan id still be pissed off.

agreed but I'm a big believer in decisions evening themselves out over a season. Plus what would we all talk about on here!

I'd rather bring in another two linesman who watch from the ends.

I don't think bringing in technology is the most important thing right now....for me...the Penalty rule needs to be changed.

Too many teams win penalty's and play for penalty's, often when there is no chance they would have scored a goal.

A penalty is far too much reward for many fouls inside the box.

Was wondering what other peoples views on this are after what has happened in a couple of the games so far this season regarding Beneteke goal in the Liverfool game the other week and last night with Ramsey getting ruled offside when on or is it just Liverfool are paying officials off

Just get yourself down the gate to watch Bristol rugby. The replays are just about the worst thing to happen in rugby for a long time. The game no longer flows and it gives the referee the opportunity to go to the replay and not make a decision. My first live rugby match for a decade was ruined by the "technology". 

I wouldn't use it during the game, but I'd like to see it used extensively to punish players for cheating afterwards. Obviously this wouldn't cover all the issues but it would cut down on the ridiculous amount of cheating in the game and make the officials job easier. Would you be so likely to dive in the box if you knew you'd get a 3 game ban, would you roll around on the floor holding your face when clearly nobody touched you if it could be looked at afterwards and you'd receive a ban?

Just get yourself down the gate to watch Bristol rugby. The replays are just about the worst thing to happen in rugby for a long time. The game no longer flows and it gives the referee the opportunity to go to the replay and not make a decision. My first live rugby match for a decade was ruined by the "technology". 

I quiet like it in Rugger...gives you more time to get a pint and get back to your seat with it ;-)

With the amounts of money now at stake I sadly see it as inevitable that the authorities will cave in to pressure from clubs and will allow breaks in the game so that technology can decide contentious decisions like offside.

However, if they do then should also allow the same breaks and technology to review cheating by players, and if a player has dived, feigned injury, or cheated in any way then the ref should be able to issue the appropriate card on the spot, so teams suffer an immediate penalty for transgression. It will also enable refs to reverse decisions that would otherwise have penalised an innocent team.

The same with shirt pulling and the like at corners - the sooner they stop all that nonsense the better by awarding penalties when defenders are blatantly holding players!

After the incident with Wade last year at Swindon, I was chatting to a well known former Bristol City double winning player (Not Wade ) on the Tuesday following. This issue of video technology came up and he said that he didn't want it as, as many of you have suggested, it stops the flow of the game and it would lose its appeal as a sport with all the stop start.

Maybe this the view of a lot of players not just this one...

Archived