IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Final

Dave

I don't get all this antagonism towards rugby.

It may not be as popular as football, but surely people can see that a Rugby World Cup final would be a major sporting event in this country.

All these comments calling it a minority sport and rugger buggers only serve to annoy people who do enjoy both sports. I would expect that more people enjoy both sports than don't.

I love football, but I'm a fan of most sports. I watch football, cricket, tennis, NFL, pretty much any sport with a ball* and I'm sure there are many others like me. If England got to the final, the FA should move the games to an earlier kick off to allow people to watch and I'm sure this would be the common sense outcome.

But for now, can't we all just get along ;)

*Apart from golf, that's carp :)

I would be concerned if City started shifting games around and inconveniencing fans for a minority sport that might be on TV at the same time.

They didn't move the game when there was an Ashes test being played, why would they move it for this?

There has been some shite on here this summer, but this is up there

Minority sport?

Move The Ashes?

There is more to life than football / City - you really should try it out sometime

• Admin

It will only be a problem for me if City are home and Wales are in the final!

Good to see people on here have a sense of humour, expect the Welsh side will be on a beach in Barbados by the time the knockout games start

I did find it odd that the final is at 4pm - all the other England games are 8pm (one of a Friday, all the others on a Saturday), so would assume that is the peak TV audience time.

I think if the World Cup was being played in another country then no issue whatsoever, but the fact that it is being hosted in the UK more people will want to watch it or at least be more interested in it than before, especially if England are in the latter stages.

There has been some shite on here this summer, but this is up there

Minority sport?

Move The Ashes?

There is more to life than football / City - you really should try it out sometime

It most certainly is a minority sport compared to football and the term was maybe used a little tongue in cheek.

I wasn't suggesting they move the Ashes, merely pointing out that they didn't move football matches for the Ashes, with at least an equal public interest to Rugby, so why should they move for the Rugby? Let the Rugby arrange itself around the football if there are fears of clashing.

As for more to life than football, my match attending has almost disappeared recently due to life other than football. I also have an interest in most major sports except Rugby and american ones. Thinking about it, sports that involve holding a ball and throwing it to each other with nothing else involved pretty much don't get my interest.

It most certainly is a minority sport compared to football and the term was maybe used a little tongue in cheek.

I wasn't suggesting they move the Ashes, merely pointing out that they didn't move football matches for the Ashes, with at least an equal public interest to Rugby, so why should they move for the Rugby? Let the Rugby arrange itself around the football if there are fears of clashing.

As for more to life than football, my match attending has almost disappeared recently due to life other than football. I also have an interest in most major sports except Rugby and american ones. Thinking about it, sports that involve holding a ball and throwing it to each other with nothing else involved pretty much don't get my interest.

Pretty much every sport is a minority compared to football, and if it was tongue in cheek it's still a daft word to use. Read somewhere the other day that there are around 7m people in the UK actively involved in rugby, that's a lot of people. And this was just union, not league

The Ashes is played mainly out of the football season, and as they are a 5 day affair and been around longer than many football clubs I think it's safe to say it's earned the right to be played whenever it wants

Maybe the people who don't enjoy or appreciate rugby should steer clear of threads that include the word 'rugby' in the title - it always ends up in conversations like this

Pretty much every sport is a minority compared to football, and if it was tongue in cheek it's still a daft word to use. Read somewhere the other day that there are around 7m people in the UK actively involved in rugby, that's a lot of people. And this was just union, not league

The Ashes is played mainly out of the football season, and as they are a 5 day affair and been around longer than many football clubs I think it's safe to say it's earned the right to be played whenever it wants

Maybe the people who don't enjoy or appreciate rugby should steer clear of threads that include the word 'rugby' in the title - it always ends up in conversations like this

In all seriousness Woodsy, I don't believe any genuine sports fan truly considers rugby, whether Union or League, to be a minority sport - less popular than football, certainly, but with equal certainty most definitely not a minority sport.

The Ashes, now played every two years, have perhaps lost some of their allure - I well recall as a teenager listening to the radio under the bedcovers at silly o'clock in the morning, but would not do so nowadays unless it was the final day of the deciding test when I would watch on TV.

The rugby World Cup final comes along once every four years and, especially if England are playing, would attract a massive TV audience: in my opinion, this would very likely drag people away from Ashton Gate and the possibility of changing the KO time (but not postponement) should be considered. 

In all seriousness Woodsy, I don't believe any genuine sports fan truly considers rugby, whether Union or League, to be a minority sport - less popular than football, certainly, but with equal certainty most definitely not a minority sport.

The Ashes, now played every two years, have perhaps lost some of their allure - I well recall as a teenager listening to the radio under the bedcovers at silly o'clock in the morning, but would not do so nowadays unless it was the final day of the deciding test when I would watch on TV.

The rugby World Cup final comes along once every four years and, especially if England are playing, would attract a massive TV audience: in my opinion, this would very likely drag people away from Ashton Gate and the possibility of changing the KO time (but not postponement) should be considered. 

Yeah, The Ashes are a problem nowadays, seemed really special when it finally came around again

And if England do make the final, make no mistake - unless times are changed there will be plenty of people missing from grounds around certain areas of the country

Do France fancy their chances at all? Brilliant on their day, but if it's an off day - wow!

Your're wrong there.

Just look how many City fans are checking their phones during City matches at AG for the rugby latest during the 5 nations every year

Probably checking their phones for the other football results, personally I know of no-one who checks their phones for rugby results, whether it's Bristol, England or the 5 nations

• Admin

Probably checking their phones for the other football results, personally I know of no-one who checks their phones for rugby results, whether it's Bristol, England or the 5 nations

Just look how many City fans are checking their phones during City matches at AG for the rugby latest during the 5 nations every year

Cough, cough !

What year are you two living in?

It's been the SIX nations since 2000, when Italy tagged along !

We'd only know if England were in the final about a week before the City game so we could only move it at late notice.

It wouldn't be fair on visiting supporters or our own supporters who would already have made transport arrangements by then to suddenly change the kick off time.

Didn't City do this the other season though when they moved the Notts County game to Good Friday from the Saturday!. Must have been about a weeks notice then

I think if the World Cup was being played in another country then no issue whatsoever, but the fact that it is being hosted in the UK more people will want to watch it or at least be more interested in it than before, especially if England are in the latter stages.

It's in England? Oh good grief.

Archived