IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Thread

Super

I get that but he had the wrong decision anyway, along with the terrible yellow card decsion. 

To be fair to Joubert, when it happened I immediately said "he's offside!" Obviously that doesn't excuse the rest of his performance, but I can understand why that final penalty was given

As with England against Wales though, the mistake was the throw into the line out rather than what happened afterwards

To be fair to Joubert, when it happened I immediately said "he's offside!" Obviously that doesn't excuse the rest of his performance, but I can understand why that final penalty was given

As with England against Wales though, the mistake was the throw into the line out rather than what happened afterwards

Also see how he sprinted down the tunnel as soon as the game finished. Like I said he should be struck off, his actions were a disgrace.

Also see how he sprinted down the tunnel as soon as the game finished. Like I said he should be struck off, his actions were a disgrace.

were you there? Was he blisteringly quick? I didn't see it as it was not caught on camera. Only heard Gavin Hastings calling him a disgrace for running.

I didn't see it, I've only heard the furore since. Pretty disgraceful if that's what he did and I don't think we'll be seeing Mr Joubert again in the tournament 

were you there? Was he blisteringly quick? I didn't see it as it was not caught on camera. Only heard Gavin Hastings calling him a disgrace for running.

No I don't like the ITV commentary so watch the game with 5 live on, they all said he just sprinted straight down the tunnel.

I didn't think it was Joubert's worst game by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that he's just not a very good ref, but apart from Nige I don't think there are many good ones now. Barnes can be ok on his day but he's not my cup of tea either.

Deliberate knock-ons are always debatable because it's hard to rule on what is or isn't deliberate, so I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt there, it's a tough call, and it was made it conjunction with the TMO.

I think that Logan was completely out of order to slate Joubert for his use of the TMO, given that, as Chipdawg pointed out, he couldn't go upstairs for the final penalty. 

I feel sorry for the Scots as they played really well and frightened the hell out of Aussie. But they were only in the game because of a charge-down try, Foley's erratic goal kicking, and a reserve prop throwing an intercept try. Fine, you make your own luck, but they'd have been lucky to get over the line if they had.

Some of the attacks on the referee since have been totally out of order. Yes, Joubert is a crap ref, and yes he was an idiot to leg down the tunnel, but some of the comments from former Scotland players (I know they're disappointed, but they should know better) have been really really poor. We don't want that in our game. Sure, question the decisions, sure, call for more accountability/freedom in using the TMO, but personal attacks? No thanks. 

Seeing Joubert peg it down the tunnel was a bit odd. The TMO rules don't seem overly consistent/helpful, as for something as important as that final decision, TMO could have easily cleared it up (not to say Australia wouldn't have scored/got a penalty from the resultant scrum). Scotland need to reflect (I'm a Scotland supporter btw) on the old adage of taking the referee out of the game by scoring enough points to allow for him making mistakes. As MichaelRobartes indicates, Australia were the better team and Scotland were comprehensively outplayed in the backs, forwards I thought were more evenly matched, although Australia were more successful at slowing the Scottish ball down. 

However, would still argue that a 3/1 South/North split of match officials for a Southern vs. Northern hemisphere game is difficult to justify and that generally (not exclusively) Australia got the rub of the green with decisions (no idea how Maitland got sinbinned with cover behind and a clear run at the line if he'd caught it, but Fardy (I think it was him) didn't when handling in the ruck a couple of metres out in the first half). 

Skill levels still not up to scratch in Northern hemisphere and that needs addressing before Japan 2019, just being muscular and good at set pieces ain't enough anymore. 

I didn't think it was Joubert's worst game by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that he's just not a very good ref, but apart from Nige I don't think there are many good ones now. Barnes can be ok on his day but he's not my cup of tea either.

Deliberate knock-ons are always debatable because it's hard to rule on what is or isn't deliberate, so I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt there, it's a tough call, and it was made it conjunction with the TMO.

I think that Logan was completely out of order to slate Joubert for his use of the TMO, given that, as Chipdawg pointed out, he couldn't go upstairs for the final penalty. 

I feel sorry for the Scots as they played really well and frightened the hell out of Aussie. But they were only in the game because of a charge-down try, Foley's erratic goal kicking, and a reserve prop throwing an intercept try. Fine, you make your own luck, but they'd have been lucky to get over the line if they had.

Some of the attacks on the referee since have been totally out of order. Yes, Joubert is a crap ref, and yes he was an idiot to leg down the tunnel, but some of the comments from former Scotland players (I know they're disappointed, but they should know better) have been really really poor. We don't want that in our game. Sure, question the decisions, sure, call for more accountability/freedom in using the TMO, but personal attacks? No thanks. 

It wasn't actually me who pointed out you can't use the TMO for a deliberate knock on- or for intentional offside, which is what I thought the penalty was given for? 

I agree with everything you say mind, bar one thing. Wayne Barnes is bloomin' awful, one of the worst in my opinion. A real 'Look At Me' ref who likes to make big showy calls early on to stamp his authority on the game. Winds me up no end

At the end of the day, Scotland were in the position they were in because of Australian profligacy and mistakes. That's not to say they didn't put in a titanic effort, but it wasn't the quality of their play that got them so close. Still, I can understand the bitterness- especially after Joubert ran off at the end. I wonder if he ran away because he knew he'd made a bad error? On the Itv commentary they did mention him looking up at the big screen. Doesn't make it less cowardly an act (perhaps it makes it more so) but I guess he didn't want to have to make a confession!

It wasn't actually me who pointed out you can't use the TMO for a deliberate knock on- or for intentional offside, which is what I thought the penalty was given for? 

I agree with everything you say mind, bar one thing. Wayne Barnes is bloomin' awful, one of the worst in my opinion. A real 'Look At Me' ref who likes to make big showy calls early on to stamp his authority on the game. Winds me up no end

At the end of the day, Scotland were in the position they were in because of Australian profligacy and mistakes. That's not to say they didn't put in a titanic effort, but it wasn't the quality of their play that got them so close. Still, I can understand the bitterness- especially after Joubert ran off at the end. I wonder if he ran away because he knew he'd made a bad error? On the Itv commentary they did mention him looking up at the big screen. Doesn't make it less cowardly an act (perhaps it makes it more so) but I guess he didn't want to have to make a confession!

Apologies chipdawg, it was Bill who pointed that out. I got my wires crossed!

I agree about Barnes, but I'd still say that he's better than Garces, Joubert or Poite. My rating him behind Nige says more about the others than Barnes himself. To be fair to Garces he had a good game on Sunday. I thought that he should have given the Puma tighthead a second yellow, but that was made in conjunction with the TMO and I don't recall any other contentious decisions. Funnily enough I desperately wanted us to avoid Joubert this weekend.

Scotland were great. I fully expected Australia to hockey them, but they rattled them and forced mistakes. I really don't think they could have played any better. Only Joubert knows why he ran down the tunnel at the end, but I'd like to think that it wasn't simply because he felt he'd ballsed up. Surely he's more professional than that? Can't think of a good reason for it, but hopefully it was nothing sinister.

Apologies chipdawg, it was Bill who pointed that out. I got my wires crossed!

I agree about Barnes, but I'd still say that he's better than Garces, Joubert or Poite. My rating him behind Nige says more about the others than Barnes himself. To be fair to Garces he had a good game on Sunday. I thought that he should have given the Puma tighthead a second yellow, but that was made in conjunction with the TMO and I don't recall any other contentious decisions. Funnily enough I desperately wanted us to avoid Joubert this weekend.

Scotland were great. I fully expected Australia to hockey them, but they rattled them and forced mistakes. I really don't think they could have played any better. Only Joubert knows why he ran down the tunnel at the end, but I'd like to think that it wasn't simply because he felt he'd ballsed up. Surely he's more professional than that? Can't think of a good reason for it, but hopefully it was nothing sinister.

As someone who grew up playing 13 man rugby, the influence a ref can have on a game is something that still grates on me in union. Obviously league referees still get things wrong, apply the rules incorrectly, etc., but a referees interpretation of the laws- even just their philosophy on the finer points of the game- can actually influence a close game of rugby union and while players can and should adapt, I don't think that should happen personally. One of the reasons Nigel is such a good referee is that while he has quite a big personality, he seems to leave it behind when he takes to the pitch- at least until someone needs a dressing down! Barnes, for example, tries to imprint that personality on the game and I dislike that. We're not here to watch you Barnsey, we're here to watch rugby! Strangely enough though, I think Wayne Barnes is a very good referee at domestic level. Perhaps it's because there aren't as many people to show off to

Woo hoo. The All Blacks are in the world rugby cup final.

That was tooooooo  close for comfort. Well done SA for an intense game.

Had 3 beers and on me second whiskey to celebrate. 

Now I have a dilemma. The final is the same time as City are home to Fulham.

Do i stay home and cheer on my country ?

Do I go to watch my beloved City ?

Or does Bristol City have the final on at the Gate , so I can see the first half of City and then go and watch the All Blacks play at the Gate ?

help please 

Woo hoo. The All Blacks are in the world rugby cup final.

That was tooooooo  close for comfort. Well done SA for an intense game.

Had 3 beers and on me second whiskey to celebrate. 

Now I have a dilemma. The final is the same time as City are home to Fulham.

Do i stay home and cheer on my country ?

Do I go to watch my beloved City ?

Or does Bristol City have the final on at the Gate , so I can see the first half of City and then go and watch the All Blacks play at the Gate ?

help please 

I really don't get why the final is at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon.. that is just weird.  I'm guessing it's a crap time for watching back in New Zealand?

I would have like to see the final (supporting the Kiwi's!) but I'll be in the Dolman backing the boys in Red.

I really don't get why the final is at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon.. that is just weird.  I'm guessing it's a crap time for watching back in New Zealand?

I would have like to see the final (supporting the Kiwi's!) but I'll be in the Dolman backing the boys in Red.

Yes , New Zealand will be watching the game in the early hours of the morning.

Wish it was played on the Sunday, then no dilemma.

it will be 5am Sunday morning in NZ!

I'll be running all 3 of my girls to different Halloween parties at 4pm on Saturday

So, if I do get chance to watch 10 mins at some point I'll not be able to have a beer anyway - unbe*******lievable

I'll be an honorary Kiwi on Saturday, if that ok with @kiwicolin and the good lady? I suspect I won't be alone :)

I'll be running all 3 of my girls to different Halloween parties at 4pm on Saturday

So, if I do get chance to watch 10 mins at some point I'll not be able to have a beer anyway - unbe*******lievable

I'll be an honorary Kiwi on Saturday, if that ok with @kiwicolin and the good lady? I suspect I won't be alone :)

All Blacks till I die this weekend! It's my father in laws birthday and we're taking him out for lunch, so I might have to feign illness or something to get home in time to watch! 

All Blacks till I die this weekend! It's my father in laws birthday and we're taking him out for lunch, so I might have to feign illness or something to get home in time to watch! 

Absolutely mate - I'm sure he'll understand!

I'm hoping I'll get to listen to the last 20 mins or so in the car, with no girls in there telling me to put 1D, Taylor Swift, Frozen etc on.....feigning illness would be a breeze compared to that!

Absolutely mate - I'm sure he'll understand!

I'm hoping I'll get to listen to the last 20 mins or so in the car, with no girls in there telling me to put 1D, Taylor Swift, Frozen etc on.....feigning illness would be a breeze compared to that!

It's not the inlaws who'll be bothered, it's the wife that I'll get the grief from!

Sounds like a nightmare, you need to put your foot down! It has made me think though, we're due our first kid in about 4 weeks so this is probably my last major sporting final without such impediments!

It's not the inlaws who'll be bothered, it's the wife that I'll get the grief from!

Sounds like a nightmare, you need to put your foot down! It has made me think though, we're due our first kid in about 4 weeks so this is probably my last major sporting final without such impediments!

Always the wife, isn't it!?

Good luck with it all mate, it's the best time of your life. Say goodbye to sleep and your money though - they don't belong to you anymore! All 3 of my girls, and the wife, hate sport, I'm outvoted for everything that I want to do, I listen to the most awful music, I watch tv that I'm sure is turning my brain to mush - and I wouldn't swap any of it, not for one second!

Archived