IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Thread

Super

It was a brave shout going for the line out, but throwing to the front of the line out was ridiculous, and that's why Wales were able to push England into touch.

Every other team in World rugby would have thrown the ball to the back of the line out, it's not rocket science!

still think it was madness. The one thing we couldn't afford to do was lose that game.

Any pack worth their salt should be able to not be pushed into touch from 5 meters away. The ball got stuck in the middle of the maul and they cocked it up. 

throwing it to the front just made it more difficult for England to form the maul.

Wales were given an 'easier' task, by going to the middle or back you stop any risk of being pushed towards the touch line.Personally I would have gone for the posts, but hey ho!!

In other news, Springboks captain Jean de Villiers has announced his international retirement after breaking his jaw (again) in the win over Samoa. I don't know exactly when the injury occurred, but he played 74 minutes and then spoke to the media after the game, and must have been in absolute agony.

I'm really gutted about this, not just for his contribution to Munster Rugby during his short stay with us, or the injuries he's battled back from to make this World Cup, but also the fact that he's an absolute gentleman and has been a great ambassador for the sport. It's very sad that he hasn't been allowed to go out on his own terms.

All the best Jean. You'll be remembered as one of the good guys, and as a warrior.

In other news, Springboks captain Jean de Villiers has announced his international retirement after breaking his jaw (again) in the win over Samoa. I don't know exactly when the injury occurred, but he played 74 minutes and then spoke to the media after the game, and must have been in absolute agony.

I'm really gutted about this, not just for his contribution to Munster Rugby during his short stay with us, or the injuries he's battled back from to make this World Cup, but also the fact that he's an absolute gentleman and has been a great ambassador for the sport. It's very sad that he hasn't been allowed to go out on his own terms.

All the best Jean. You'll be remembered as one of the good guys, and as a warrior.

Hi Michael,

I wanted to give you a like, but our new system forbids me from doing so.

JdeV was, indeed, a warrior and a very fine player.

A shame that he was not able to bow out in the (losing) final against England

Hi Michael,

I wanted to give you a like, but our new system forbids me from doing so.

JdeV was, indeed, a warrior and a very fine player.

A shame that he was not able to bow out in the (losing) final against England

Hi Phil, it seems to have worked.

I forgot to mention that he had to withdraw from the two previous World Cups through injury as well. He's had no luck. I'd love to see him back at Munster now but suspect that he'll be off to cartoonland in the South of France. Nobody should begrudge him the pay day. I don't think I've ever felt so deflated over a non-Munster retirement.

I certainly wouldn't have begrudged him a World Cup final appearance/winners medal, but it's not to be. I don't think the current Springbok squad has what it takes anyway, but stranger things have happened.

How on earth did England contrive to lose that?

Not taking the piss guys and girls but that was an absolute disaster.

I watched some of the game back today, interesting thought, the top coaches say nowadays that International rugby comes down to the last 20/30 minutes.

Fitness and how you use the bench, well, Wales won the last 30 minutes 16-3!

I watched some of the game back today, interesting thought, the top coaches say nowadays that International rugby comes down to the last 20/30 minutes.

Fitness and how you use the bench, well, Wales won the last 30 minutes 16-3!

That's amazing when you consider how the game went up to then. I noted Woodward said that some of England's replacements killed their momentum, which was probably true, I think that making rolling changed from 60 minutes on is very fashionable now. But also some of Wales' replacements actually gave them the lift. Obviously Lee is their best tighthead but I think Owens is a better hooker than Baldwin, then you had Tipuric and Charteris, both of whom I'd have started. What do I know?

Well I got that wrong! No bonus point and hardly a handsome win. Good game though, Wales will be pleased enough to have gotten out of there intact.

Yes, given that their last game is Uruguay, England are very likely to progress with victory over Australia. It would require an incredibly freaky bonus point/points difference situation for 15 points to be insufficient.

If England beat the Aussies without a bonus point it'll leave them on 15 (after the inevitable hockeying of Uruguay). Then it'd be a straight shootout between Wales and the Wallabies. The former would top the group with a win and the latter would be playing to snatch second place from Wales.

Of course England will get the 5 points against Uruguay but I think that the Aussies will beat them, and then even if England get a losing bonus point it'd leave them stranded on 12 points and unable to progress as Wales would be on 13 and Australia on 13 (without a 4 try bonus point). But who knows. Shame that one of these teams is going home, but it's quite compelling.

Happy with that today. No bonus point means a win Sat and England will be near certain to go through. Funny feeling Wales will miss out. Fingers crossed anyway.

A win v Aussie should see England through, but, if Australia score 4 tries and lose by less than a score they would get 2 points.

If!!! Aussie and Wales both score 4 tries and end up within a score when they play each other with Aussie winning! I think Aussie would end up with 16 and England and Wales 15 points.

I think I've worked that out correctly!!!!

But I do stand to be corrected ;)

A win v Aussie should see England through, but, if Australia score 4 tries and lose by less than a score they would get 2 points.

If!!! Aussie and Wales both score 4 tries and end up within a score when they play each other with Aussie winning! I think Aussie would end up with 16 and England and Wales 15 points.

I think I've worked that out correctly!!!!

But I do stand to be corrected ;)

I think you're right Bill. If the situation that you outline comes to pass then Wales would finish above England because it then goes on head to head. Nonetheless, I think we can feel pretty confident that two wins will see England to a quarter final.

The game tomorrow is almost like a three way knock out match. England need to win to go through, no question of that after Wales beat Fiji. If England lose then essentially Wales and Australia are playing off for first and second. If England win, then Australia and Wales are in effect in a shoot out to qualify and given Wales' record against the big Southern Hemisphere teams- especially away from Cardiff and with the injuries they have- they could be up against it

Heart says England will do enough to beat Australia on Saturday. Head says we'll really struggle. Lancaster's England has much to admire about it, but mentally they seem to choke when the pressure is on and my word is the pressure on 

The nerves are kicking in already for tomorrow. I'm not sure we're going to beat them, Hooper and Pocock are machines, Morgan is going to have his hands full

One choice City win or England win tomorrow??!

Bloody hell, Super!

Tough one, City have got time to get out of it, England can't slip up

I'll not be having a fiver on the double, I'm not that lucky!

I know, someone asked me earlier and I couldn't answer it

I'm in Cardiff today for the NZ v Georgia game, NZ may be 12 thousand miles away but they have certainly travelled in numbers.

Kiwis everywhere here!

Not jealous at all

Who would want to be in Cardiff, blowing the froth of a few cold ones, in the sun, before watching the ABs....

Archived