IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Thread

Super

if us or France underestimate them then we'll get turned over. Surely NZ know all about them now from the Championship, but Argentina more than matched them for large parts of the game. I think it'd be close enough if we met them.

I agree about Barnes, though he's certainly not one of the worst. Poite is like a rubbish cartoon baddie who wears a blindfold for the whole match and just guesses, Garces isn't much better and the less said about Joubert the better. Smith had to go too. Cynically killing the ball under the shadow of his own posts. Argentina needed to be brave then and take the scrum. They needed to build up a decent lead to have any chance of getting something.

I certainly don't think they can be underestimated, but it would still be a shock if they beat Ireland. Perhaps less so France because they're so unpredictable. I'm not criticising Argentina by the way, they were great for most of the first hour against the All Blacks, just think they're playing in a way that is a little retrograde and will get found out

I really dislike Barnes, for his on-field persona as much as his crap decisions. Seems to want to make every match he officiates all about 'him'. I agree Poite is worse though. Don't mind Joubert and Garces though. As someone who grew up playing 13 man rugby rather than 15 man, one of my bugbears about the latter is the mere fact that we're having a conversation about the foibles in the personality of referees and their interpretions of the 'laws'. Referees should be part of the furniture in a sporting occasion in my opinion

PS I think we can all agree that Nigel Owens is the best ref though 

I certainly don't think they can be underestimated, but it would still be a shock if they beat Ireland. Perhaps less so France because they're so unpredictable. I'm not criticising Argentina by the way, they were great for most of the first hour against the All Blacks, just think they're playing in a way that is a little retrograde and will get found out

I really dislike Barnes, for his on-field persona as much as his crap decisions. Seems to want to make every match he officiates all about 'him'. I agree Poite is worse though. Don't mind Joubert and Garces though. As someone who grew up playing 13 man rugby rather than 15 man, one of my bugbears about the latter is the mere fact that we're having a conversation about the foibles in the personality of referees and their interpretions of the 'laws'. Referees should be part of the furniture in a sporting occasion in my opinion

PS I think we can all agree that Nigel Owens is the best ref though 

I think that's fair. Though I wouldn't be that surprised given our propensity for underperforming at World Cups!

He used to be public enemy number two in my eyes (after Poite) but I genuinely think that he's more consistent now, if still somewhat irksome. We;ll have to agree to disagree on Joubert and Garces as I think both are poor. You're 100% right about referees being part of the furniture, and about Nige. I think that his "catchphrases" can put people's noses out of joint, but he's the most consistent ref around at the moment. He's also a very good communicator on the pitch, which must be great for the captains.

The NZ press predicted a very tight first 60 mins and then an All Black win by 10 points. They were spot on.

They are well aware how good a side Argentina are.

Argentina are a real force now, they have beaten Australia and South Africa in the last 12 months.

Next season they will have a side ( basically the international team) in the super 15.

They are now becoming serious contenders in World rugby.

An incredibly cynical trip on Lobbe (I think?) as he tried to take a quick tap. Really petulant and stupid, though he held his hands up afterwards and admitted such

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport/video-1215578/All-blacks-Richie-McCaw-receives-yellow-card-tripping.html

Thanks Chip - I've seen him do far worse, but that is pretty poor from him

I find it staggering that he's only had 3 yellow cards in 140 odd tests. That's a poor strike rate for a flanker, I'm not sure whether he's protected or he's just damn good at hiding it all.....I'll go with protected I think

Thanks Chip - I've seen him do far worse, but that is pretty poor from him

I find it staggering that he's only had 3 yellow cards in 140 odd tests. That's a poor strike rate for a flanker, I'm not sure whether he's protected or he's just damn good at hiding it all.....I'll go with protected I think

McCaw gets a terrible press up here in Britain, probably because he's someone who is so good at what he does.

Hes now played something like 140 test matches and his work rate is still second to none. Yes, he plays on the edge but I've lost count of the amount of times that he's the tackler, first to the ball ( before the ruck is formed ) and then gets booed by an un knowledgable crowd for going for the ball. He's respected all over the World as a rugby great, but the British press want to get their teeth into him at every opportunity.

Tell you what, if there was one person I had to go into the trenches with, it would be him, he's fearless to the extreme.

It seems pretty certain that he will retire after this WC, he will go down as one of the greats of all time. I also read that he has turned down a knighthood once, apparently the NZ PM wants to try again to name him a sir. But it seems he doesn't want it and is happy to be just a normal kiwi bloke.

McCaw gets a terrible press up here in Britain, probably because he's someone who is so good at what he does.

Hes now played something like 140 test matches and his work rate is still second to none. Yes, he plays on the edge but I've lost count of the amount of times that he's the tackler, first to the ball ( before the ruck is formed ) and then gets booed by an un knowledgable crowd for going for the ball. He's respected all over the World as a rugby great, but the British press want to get their teeth into him at every opportunity.

Tell you what, if there was one person I had to go into the trenches with, it would be him, he's fearless to the extreme.

It seems pretty certain that he will retire after this WC, he will go down as one of the greats of all time. I also read that he has turned down a knighthood once, apparently the NZ PM wants to try again to name him a sir. But it seems he doesn't want it and is happy to be just a normal kiwi bloke.

Don't get me wrong, Bill - he's a tremendous player. I've seen enough Kiwi's call him the best AB ever, who am I to argue with that!?

I think the difference between northern / southern hemisphere refs makes a difference, I've seen him get away with things that he wouldn't week in, week out if he was playing here or France, but if that's the way he's been brought up playing the game then you're not going to stop him now

As for the Knighthood, hadn't heard that - but doesn't surprise me. He seems like the kind of bloke that will just walk away from it all in a couple of weeks, buy a farm and be happy living his life away from the spotlight

Don't get me wrong, Bill - he's a tremendous player. I've seen enough Kiwi's call him the best AB ever, who am I to argue with that!?

I think the difference between northern / southern hemisphere refs makes a difference, I've seen him get away with things that he wouldn't week in, week out if he was playing here or France, but if that's the way he's been brought up playing the game then you're not going to stop him now

As for the Knighthood, hadn't heard that - but doesn't surprise me. He seems like the kind of bloke that will just walk away from it all in a couple of weeks, buy a farm and be happy living his life away from the spotlight

I think your spot on, my son met someone recently that knows RM every well ( long story!) He used to live close by RM when he was an up and coming player, RM had no money, couldn't afford sky tv NZ, and used to come round this blokes house to watch all the sport on his tv.

My son was told that RM is just a normal down to earth bloke who enjoys a beer and just wants to play rugby, he's the complete opposite to a big time Charlie!

After my previous post I did look up the Knighthood stuff and it says that he felt it was wrong to get one while he was still playing the game.

So it may be a case that he will become a sir after he retires.

I think your spot on, my son met someone recently that knows RM every well ( long story!) He used to live close by RM when he was an up and coming player, RM had no money, couldn't afford sky tv NZ, and used to come round this blokes house to watch all the sport on his tv.

My son was told that RM is just a normal down to earth bloke who enjoys a beer and just wants to play rugby, he's the complete opposite to a big time Charlie!

After my previous post I did look up the Knighthood stuff and it says that he felt it was wrong to get one while he was still playing the game.

So it may be a case that he will become a sir after he retires.

Anyone who plays 140+ tests deserves a medal of some sort. Was reading about how he played the last World Cup with a screw in his foot to fix a metatarsal problem......which then caused some kind of fracture in there. He just kept going. Legend

Oh, I'm not suggesting for a second he isn't a fabulous player- one of the all-time great back row forwards in my opinion. But the All Blacks have always played right on- if not slightly over- the line of the laws of the game and I think they are often allowed to get away with it because of the legend of the All Blacks. But that shouldn't take away from the fact they're also bloody good at the sport and McCaw is one of the finest exponents in his generation

Love seeing all this rugby talk on here. Nice to see some of the otib crowd follow it and actually know what they're talking about, as opposed to bandwagon jumping.

No danger of me knowing what I'm on about, speak for yourself! Seriously, I think bandwagon-jumpers are good for the game. Some of those whose interest is captured by this tournament will retain their interest after it's all finished. That's the beauty of having a World Cup. I can't wait for tomorrow's matches. I'll be digging out my Japan, Fiji and Romania jerseys!

yeh maybe I am being harsh mate.

I know what you mean, he's had a few lengthy periods out, but he's certainly the best stand off I've seen barring ROG (I reserve the right to make absolutely no effort whatsoever to be objective).

Surely the all-time record points scorer in test matches is worthy of all-time great status, Super?

I always kind of feel that Carter never quite fulfilled his potential though. He's achieved so much and statistically is out on his own, but given his talent and the team he played in that anyone would ever debate his greatness is perhaps an indication he fell short in some measure. I can't really think of a better 10 in my lifetime (I'm 34), but I'd say the likes of Wilkinson, Lynagh and O'Gara are more iconic. Perhaps icon status comes with retirement

I always kind of feel that Carter never quite fulfilled his potential though. He's achieved so much and statistically is out on his own, but given his talent and the team he played in that anyone would ever debate his greatness is perhaps an indication he fell short in some measure. I can't really think of a better 10 in my lifetime (I'm 34), but I'd say the likes of Wilkinson, Lynagh and O'Gara are more iconic. Perhaps icon status comes with retirement

I think there's a lot to be said for that argument, and I can see where Super is coming from on this too. It's terrifying how good he could have been without all the injuries given how exceptional he has become with them. 

It was a travesty that he was robbed of his defining moment at the last World Cup. Wilkinson had his in 2003, Lynagh in 1991, ROG had the drop goal to win a Grand Slam (ok, not on the same scale, but certainly a defining moment, especially after waiting 61 ****in' years!) in 2009... Maybe if NZ finally win a World Cup outside of NZ he'll get his moment.

Don't try and palm your negative comments off on others, Woodsy! You've let down the whole shed there mate... :P

Ha - was more the point that my comment ended up looking like it came from 'Batman' as opposed to me!

In 20 years time, when Gloucester are good enough for the top table in Europe, we'll have an afternoon in The Shed. I think you'll feel at home there!

I think there's a lot to be said for that argument, and I can see where Super is coming from on this too. It's terrifying how good he could have been without all the injuries given how exceptional he has become with them. 

It was a travesty that he was robbed of his defining moment at the last World Cup. Wilkinson had his in 2003, Lynagh in 1991, ROG had the drop goal to win a Grand Slam (ok, not on the same scale, but certainly a defining moment, especially after waiting 61 ****in' years!) in 2009... Maybe if NZ finally win a World Cup outside of NZ he'll get his moment.

yeah, fate and bad luck is certainly part of it. As much as I admire Carter though, I hope he doesn't have too good a World Cup!

Ha - was more the point that my comment ended up looking like it came from 'Batman' as opposed to me!

In 20 years time, when Gloucester are good enough for the top table in Europe, we'll have an afternoon in The Shed. I think you'll feel at home there!

Last time I was there was for Ireland v the Baa Baas a few years back. A friend of mine let them know what he thought of the Baa Baas kicking a goal at the end to win the game "you're not here to kick the ball!" suffice to say they all loved it. I can't wait until we draw Glaws again, nice to be able to make a Super Duper Cup game.

yeah, fate and bad luck is certainly part of it. As much as I admire Carter though, I hope he doesn't have too good a World Cup!

Amen. I wouldn't begrudge him the glory though, in my heart of hearts.

Funnily enough, I was talking with a welsh friend of mine (don't judge me, he's alright really!) who was decrying the fact that Wales couldn't play Australia in Cardiff and that it was no advantage because they would almost certainly beat Uruguay and Fiji anyway (the latter being questionable but probable) and that making Wales play Australia at Twickenham was part of a ruse to ensure England get through the group 

I take the point the author is making, but it's surely a financial decision more than a sporting one? They sold 90,000 not particularly cheap tickets to see Wales play Uruguay- where else would they be able to do that? It is a bit shitty on Fiji though, who must feel they have a chance against Wales, even if it's a small one

BBC reporting this morning that Farrell will replace Ford and Burgess will replace Joseph for England on Saturday. Perhaps looking to grind Wales down rather than outplay them? Ford is very unlucky to be scapegoated given how shakey the pack was on Friday and as a former Rugby League player I'm a massive fan of Burgess, but surely Slade would be a more direct replacement for Joseph? I worry we've stripped a serious chunk of the creativity and spontaneity out of the back line

England are clearly worried by Wales' midfield and have picked their biggest possible midfield and Farrell rather than Ford to try and negate it. Strange from Lancaster as I think Ford is a far better stand off than Farrell.

I think everyone agrees Ford is better than Farrell. I find it odd, let them worry about us

My thought exactly. Apart from anything else, you beat them  with a midfield of Burrell and Joseph when they had two of their best players (Webb and Halfpenny) starting. That said, if England win nobody will care!

Very true, Lancaster made it clear a week or so ago it's very much horses for courses during the tournament. Best fit for each opponent

Regretting my decision to not get tickets for Sco - Jap, could be on the piss right now....

I'm not entirely surprised that Farrell is starting- the Welsh are physical and it might be more important to have someone who can stand up to that in the first 60 than someone like Ford who can create gaps. The Burgess one is stranger- I'm not sure quite where they think he's going to punch the holes. I would still say England are favourites, providing the scrum sorts itself our

I'm going to Italy v Canada and Scotland v USA in Leeds this weekend, can't frigging wait 

Archived