IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Thread

Super

It was always going to be tough to live up to expectations as hosts, playing an unfancied Fiji, but a Fiji side capable of doing damage. Did people really expect a 5 star performance this early?

i don't think England ever really looked threatened and I think England could up gone up a couple of gears.  Roll on the Welsh.

Have to admit I hope football never goes the same way as rugby. Far too many video replays hope this is not a sign of things to come in this World Cup.

The good thing with Rugby is the game would have been stopped in those situations anyway so it doesn't really stop the gameplay. I thought the TMO was used well apart from once (checking the Fiji try), for the disallowed try if neither the ref nor near side linesman could see it grounded they should have called for it on protocol just to say 'we didn't see it, can you confirm it was grounded'.

5 points, hopefully no injuries, job done. Need to finish like champions, no point sticking 50 on Fiji and losing to Wales and Australia

Can't remember the guys name now, but the outside toilet who played 11 for Fiji might just be my favourite player ever. Massive, stroked the ball on the penalties and a few times bollocked team mates for 'afters'. Played with a smile on his face, what a bloke 

Anyone who thought we'd just brush Fiji aside is deluded. They're big boys who are dangerous from broken play, but in the last couple of years they've added a set piece. I didn't watch the whole game, but it went as I'd expected- England were rusty and a little nervous, Fiji were fired up. Our scrum- magnificent for years- looks a little vulnerable (Australia have worked on there's recently and it looking decent) and the lack of discipline was a worry, but there were always going to be handling errors and mistakes. At the end of the day, we got a bonus point victory. I expect  Wales and Australia will also have to work hard for a bonus point too (could even see Wales losing) and Fiji are unfortunate to find themselves in this group- i could see them troubling a Scotland, Italy or Argentina which probably would have led to qualification

Good effort by Argentina, fancy them to be 2nd in that group.

Argentina are a class act. It was always going to be them and the AB's to go through.

Argentina are now one of the top sides in the World.

Good chance they will go to the semis. I think I'm right in saying they will probably play Ireland or France in the quarter finals.

That could go either way. 

I felt that Argentina should have gone for the scrum when Smith got binned and NZ were down to 13. They put up a super performance though, they're a damn good team.

Bill, you're right on the quarter final lineup. I'd rather play Argentina than NZ but we have to get through the group first.

Genuinely still buzzing from that Japan victory. One of the best things I've ever seen in sport. Absolutely magic. Will take some beating as the highlight of the tournament.

I really don't think Argentina are all that. They're very functional, plenty of muscle up front, but it would still be a shock if they beat England, Ireland, Australia or NZ. I would have said South Africa too, but after yesterday- who knows! 

One thing I really hate watching NZ is how they seem to be allowed to play to a totally different set of rules at the breakdown. Going off their feet, joining from all different, lying all over the ball... So many advantages seem to be given to them, it's like they have a 16th man

I really don't think Argentina are all that. They're very functional, plenty of muscle up front, but it would still be a shock if they beat England, Ireland, Australia or NZ. I would have said South Africa too, but after yesterday- who knows! 

One thing I really hate watching NZ is how they seem to be allowed to play to a totally different set of rules at the breakdown. Going off their feet, joining from all different, lying all over the ball... So many advantages seem to be given to them, it's like they have a 16th man

I love watching them because they remind me of the early years of the great Munster side of the 00s, playing on pure guts. They tend to fade a bit at the end of test matches but I think they're a fine team who have come a long way in a short enough space of time. They've already beaten RSA this year and they're more than capable of turning over us or France. 

In fairness to Barnes, he put McCaw and Conrad Smith in the bin...

I love watching them because they remind me of the early years of the great Munster side of the 00s, playing on pure guts. They tend to fade a bit at the end of test matches but I think they're a fine team who have come a long way in a short enough space of time. They've already beaten RSA this year and they're more than capable of turning over us or France. 

In fairness to Barnes, he put McCaw and Conrad Smith in the bin...

That's kind of my point though- they're a side playing a brand of rugby at least 10 years old. I agree there's much to admire in watching them, but I think they caught NZ a little cold (as Fiji did with England) and I can't see them beating anyone of note

Watching Wayne Barnes referee a rugby match is like watching a young child being upstaged by the arrival of a cute new baby sibling. He tries increasingly more ridiculous and outlandish things to be the centre of attention and when it doesn't work he has a tantrum about a minor incident and everyone has to go home. To be fair, I didn't see the Smith binning but he had no choice but to send McCaw for a little rest. One of NZ's great strengths is knowing when it's worth taking a penalty or a card to halt opposition momentum which is what McCaw blatantly did and he no doubt knew he'd get binned for it. What annoyed me was all the ruck infringements that followed with not so much as a penalty to the Argies. 

Had my little ones birthday party yesterday, so missed the AB game....I read that McCaw was getting booed in his post match interview, what did I miss, what did he get carded for?

An incredibly cynical trip on Lobbe (I think?) as he tried to take a quick tap. Really petulant and stupid, though he held his hands up afterwards and admitted such

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport/video-1215578/All-blacks-Richie-McCaw-receives-yellow-card-tripping.html

That's kind of my point though- they're a side playing a brand of rugby at least 10 years old. I agree there's much to admire in watching them, but I think they caught NZ a little cold (as Fiji did with England) and I can't see them beating anyone of note

Watching Wayne Barnes referee a rugby match is like watching a young child being upstaged by the arrival of a cute new baby sibling. He tries increasingly more ridiculous and outlandish things to be the centre of attention and when it doesn't work he has a tantrum about a minor incident and everyone has to go home. To be fair, I didn't see the Smith binning but he had no choice but to send McCaw for a little rest. One of NZ's great strengths is knowing when it's worth taking a penalty or a card to halt opposition momentum which is what McCaw blatantly did and he no doubt knew he'd get binned for it. What annoyed me was all the ruck infringements that followed with not so much as a penalty to the Argies. 

if us or France underestimate them then we'll get turned over. Surely NZ know all about them now from the Championship, but Argentina more than matched them for large parts of the game. I think it'd be close enough if we met them.

I agree about Barnes, though he's certainly not one of the worst. Poite is like a rubbish cartoon baddie who wears a blindfold for the whole match and just guesses, Garces isn't much better and the less said about Joubert the better. Smith had to go too. Cynically killing the ball under the shadow of his own posts. Argentina needed to be brave then and take the scrum. They needed to build up a decent lead to have any chance of getting something.

Archived