IGNORED

Rugby World Cup Thread

Super

Biggar is an excellent goal kicker,  it's just that he's hardly had much of a chance to kick goals for Wales with Halfpenny around.

If Farrell had a brain he'd be a super player. That late hit a few minutes back surrendered a great position and was unbelievably stupid. His goal kicking has never been in question. 

England have been the better side and need to put this to bed asap.

How on earth did England contrive to lose that?

Not taking the piss guys and girls but that was an absolute disaster.

Just stopped playing and going through the motions in the last 20, and a lack of discipline when on top. Hate to say it, but some bottle from Wales, losing players all over the place, seemingly nowhere in the set pieces, and somehow found a way.

Aussies to beat Wales, England to beat the Aussies, down to bonus points.

Touch of Bristol kicking it to the corner. There was still 3 minutes left though I think? Could have easily slotted it over and then more than likely gained possession from the restart and gone for it

Touch of Bristol kicking it to the corner. There was still 3 minutes left though I think? Could have easily slotted it over and then more than likely gained possession from the restart and gone for it

Yes, total brainfart from Robshaw. If it's true that he spoke to Narky and Ford and they decided to kick for the corner together then it's a disgrace. One of them has to step up to kick the goal, then Wales have to kick the ball back to them. Even the draw would have seen England live to fight another day, a Welsh defeat to Oz and a big England win over Uruguay would have seen them through. As it is, they're now hanging on by a thread. For me, Robshaw is not a good captain, but it's not really his fault that his team threw it away. Interesting that Lancaster threw his captain under the bus afterwards, has he entered job-saving mode?

Let's face it, turn down the sound, obliterate the atmosphere and you have a pretty poor game of rugby dominated, as so often is the case, by the kickers. They all run around for a couple of minutes like brainless idiots knocking hell out of one another most of them getting nowhere near the ball then a minor technical infringement gives them all a jolly good rest while the kicker takes forever executing the kick.....and so on.

So boring I very rarely can be bothered to watch it although they do sing up for the anthem I'll give them that.

Just a couple of suggestions to improve the game.

1). Obviously incentivise try scoring by awarding more points, I'm sure that must have been said before, and

2). Put a limit on the amount of time taken to execute a penalty kick with the attempt disqualified if taking too long. This would speed the game up a bit.

I'd also like to see the defending team allowed to stand much closer to the kicker and attempt to put him off using whatever means they see fit as in Bhutan archery. Farting noises, performing the haka, questioning parentage etc.This would considerably enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Let's face it, turn down the sound, obliterate the atmosphere and you have a pretty poor game of rugby dominated, as so often is the case, by the kickers. They all run around for a couple of minutes like brainless idiots knocking hell out of one another most of them getting nowhere near the ball then a minor technical infringement gives them all a jolly good rest while the kicker takes forever executing the kick.....and so on.

So boring I very rarely can be bothered to watch it although they do sing up for the anthem I'll give them that.

1). Obviously incentivise try scoring by awarding more points, I'm sure that must have been said before, and

2). Put a limit on the amount of time taken to execute a penalty kick with the attempt disqualified if taking too long. This would speed the game up a bit.

I'd also like to see the defending team allowed to stand much closer to the kicker and attempt to put him off using whatever means they see fit as in Bhutan archery. Farting noises, performing the haka, questioning parentage etc.This would considerably enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Philistine...

1). Obviously incentivise try scoring by awarding more points, I'm sure that must have been said before, and 4 trys gets you an extra point

2). Put a limit on the amount of time taken to execute a penalty kick with the attempt disqualified if taking too long. This would speed the game up a bit. You have one minute

So many ifs and buts about the choice last game, England have been criticized for going for 3 points in similar situations before. If England had taken the 3 and Wales got another penalty before the end England would probably have been slammed for not going for the kill and getting a try. It was a brave call and anyone would have praised England had it come off. Still in this tournament though, beat Australia and then we go into the last weekend where Wales play Australia before us leaving us to know exactly what we will need from the game against Uruguay. 

8 hours ago, marshy said:

1). Obviously incentivise try scoring by awarding more points, I'm sure that must have been said before, and 4 trys gets you an extra point

2). Put a limit on the amount of time taken to execute a penalty kick with the attempt disqualified if taking too long. This would speed the game up a bit.You have one minute

1). That's hardly much of an incentive, it's more like an afterthought.  Anyway I was thinking in general terms rather than just for this tournament.

2). Unaware of that, never heard it mentioned in commentary. If it is indeed the case it is a law that is constantly flouted, unless of course they mean a minute from when the run-up commences. They should hang a big clock between the topmost points of the posts and start the clock the second the whistle blows for the technical infringement. A bonus point if you hit the clock.

Also they need to clamp down on forward passes, they get away with far too many.

One thing I do like about rugby is the use of the video referee, needs to be introduced in some form into our own game.

1). That's hardly much of an incentive, it's more like an afterthought.  Anyway I was thinking in general terms rather than just for this tournament.

2). Unaware of that, never heard it mentioned in commentary. If it is indeed the case it is a law that is constantly flouted, unless of course they mean a minute from when the run-up commences. They should hang a big clock between the topmost points of the posts and start the clock the second the whistle blows for the technical infringement. A bonus point if you hit the clock.

Also they need to clamp down on forward passes, they get away with far too many.

One thing I do like about rugby is the use of the video referee, needs to be introduced in some form into our own game.

In the Canada v Italy game, the Italians were penalised for taking too long over a penalty on Saturday

I attended the above match yesterday and the USA v Scotland one today. Had such a great time, really good atmosphere and the game on Saturday was fantastic. I especially enjoyed that game- the van de Merwye try was brilliant and the Leafs were robbed as it was never a forward pass for the disallowed try (I'm part Canadian so biased!). We also had really good seats considering they were £20 cheapies. The atmosphere all around Leeds on Saturday was great, though the result in the evening game put somewhat of  a damper on things! 

The England game was beyond belief. Completely in control, Wales decimated by injuries, half-fit front row, scrum half on the wing and fly half at full back and somehow England lost. Massive credit to Wales for sticking at it though, heads could easily have dropped with those bad injuries

Oh well, we'll just have to beat Australia 

So many ifs and buts about the choice last game, England have been criticized for going for 3 points in similar situations before. If England had taken the 3 and Wales got another penalty before the end England would probably have been slammed for not going for the kill and getting a try. It was a brave call and anyone would have praised England had it come off. Still in this tournament though, beat Australia and then we go into the last weekend where Wales play Australia before us leaving us to know exactly what we will need from the game against Uruguay. 

It was a brave shout going for the line out, but throwing to the front of the line out was ridiculous, and that's why Wales were able to push England into touch.

Every other team in World rugby would have thrown the ball to the back of the line out, it's not rocket science!

It was a brave shout going for the line out, but throwing to the front of the line out was ridiculous, and that's why Wales were able to push England into touch.

Every other team in World rugby would have thrown the ball to the back of the line out, it's not rocket science!

Any pack worth their salt should be able to not be pushed into touch from 5 meters away. The ball got stuck in the middle of the maul and they cocked it up. 

Archived