IGNORED

New Signings....

barney999

He did. We shouldn't ignore the excellent job Flint did on him this afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a poor player, but Flint took him out of the game not a lack of support. I can recall two last ditch tackles by Flint and him bullying him at the Ateyo end all first half. It was a rather impressive defensive performance which may not have gone unnoticed if Burnley's reported interest is true.

He was brilliant... Flint that is.

But while flint did a great job on grey, grey didn't really have any clear chances.... Surely he would have scored 1-2 in our side today?

He was brilliant... Flint that is.

But while flint did a great job on grey, grey didn't really have any clear chances.... Surely he would have scored 1-2 in our side today?

Yeah I'd certainly agree had some of our chances fallen his way he'd have buried them, but I'm not sure lack of support was even the main reason he didn't have those chances today.

If they get him in sync with their creative players I think he'll be a very good buy indeed. Still not convinced he'd have resched his potential here mind.

To be honest I think the type of player we were in for cannot take to the Cotts way, he is an old fashioned task master, remember that clip when he berated a Forest jnr player on camera?

Personally I like that in him, but the current crop of average players that think they are better than us, and better than they actually are can do one, valuation on players have gone crazy with the extra rights money, and clubs like us will pay the price.

Yep modern football, stuff it.

One team in the league has conceded more than us.

Only ten teams have scored more.

It's keeping goals out that's the problem.

Looking to win every game 5-4 ain't the answer.

Maybe not, but it is still to our players' strengths and in my opinion our best bet even if a very high risk strategy. If the bet comes off the plaudits could be the injection we need to become more attractive.

For me, it is the way to go but I acknowledge it could leave us in trouble. I don't think tightening and lowering the tempo would be conducive to good performances for our first eleven anyway so hey, if we struggle let's struggle fighting.

We might have a poor defensive record relatively but it was a tough opening five, in difficult circumstances (Hamer, Little etc), we played a playoff team from last year with 10 men for an age injury time considered and a well drilled ex prem outfit.

I think we've come out relatively unscathed with a decent return. I think many other teams in the equivalent fixtures may only have a similar record.

Absolutely correct. Sure we need an extra striker. But top priority is a decent Centre Back and another Midfielder, at least. Perhaps a young striker on loan after the loan market finishes..

Absolutely correct. Sure we need an extra striker. But top priority is a decent Centre Back and another Midfielder, at least. Perhaps a young striker on loan after the loan market finishes..

But we can't put away the bloody chances so how are we gonna score 5!!

I swear reading your posts that your not attending games

Have you watched any games? If we were able to put away half the chances we create we'd have won yesterday, against Leeds and Brentford. Yes we need to strengthen at the back, but we also need a sticker that can finish.

Have you watched any games? If we were able to put away half the chances we create we'd have won yesterday, against Leeds and Brentford. Yes we need to strengthen at the back, but we also need a sticker that can finish.

Yes I've watched all three home games. We scored in all three of them.

But between the three games we conceded 8 goals.

If you think we lost/drew those games because of attacking problems then I disagree, we need to stop shipping so many. You shouldn't have to score 3 or 4 to win the game.

Yes I've watched all three home games. We scored in all three of them.

But between the three games we conceded 8 goals.

If you think we lost/drew those games because of attacking problems then I disagree, we need to stop shipping so many. You shouldn't have to score 3 or 4 to win the game.

Im not saying we should have to, I'm saying if we could finish we would have won those games. And that's a fact if you look at the stats and the number of clear cut chances we created.

Im not saying we should have to, I'm saying if we could finish we would have won those games. And that's a fact if you look at the stats and the number of clear cut chances we created.

If we could defend we'd have won two of the three as we gifted Leeds and Brentford incredibly soft goals. We scored enough in both to have won the games if we knew how to defend. To score two goals in two home games and come away with one point is a clear indicator of where the issue is.

Yesterday better finishing would have made the difference but you have to credit Burnley. Too many individuals in our team had off days yesterday.

Like I said look at the goals shipped in 5 games. 10 goals. Means we have to score 3 per game to get a win, that's not sustainable.

If we'd have had strikers who could of finished the games would have been won..

Goals change the complexion of games and our poor finishing in all 3 games totally changed the complexion of am these games..

If we could defend we'd have won two of the three as we gifted Leeds and Brentford incredibly soft goals. We scored enough in both to have won the games if we knew how to defend. To score two goals in two home games and come away with one point is a clear indicator of where the issue is.

Yesterday better finishing would have made the difference but you have to credit Burnley. Too many individuals in our team had off days yesterday.

Like I said look at the goals shipped in 5 games. 10 goals. Means we have to score 3 per game to get a win, that's not sustainable.

I wouldn't say any individual in our team had an off day yesterday. No one played badly. We were undone at two set pieces, very unlike us, and we should have been aware that Burnley have scored most of their goals this season from set pieces. If Kodjia, Reid or Wilbs had put away some of the easy chances they were presented with we would have won.

Two of our four best chances yesterday felt to Flint, so not sure what adding a fifth striker to the squad would do about that.

However our three centre backs (in a side that has let in 8 in 3 home games) have Adam El-Abd for competition.

Anyone see where the weakness lies?

Do we need another central defender, wingback, midfield player or forward? Yes - we need one of each. Wilbraham isn't looking sharpe at this level, the midfield players have some nice touches but needs strengthening and there is no competition for the wing back or central defender positions. This isn't rocket science, as Cotts has been saying he wants to sign this type of player for months. Unfortunately he's failed for whatever reason.

Do we need another central defender, wingback, midfield player or forward? Yes - we need one of each. Wilbraham isn't looking sharpe at this level, the midfield players have some nice touches but needs strengthening and there is no competition for the wing back or central defender positions. This isn't rocket science, as Cotts has been saying he wants to sign this type of player for months. Unfortunately he's failed for whatever reason.

The whole situation Pongo is totally unacceptable, why is it that this club bounces from crisis to crisis?

We have a weaker squad than last season. In retrospect we should have offered JET a new deal, could really have done with him as another option (he may not have taken it but we should have tried), also shouldn't have let Cunningham go until a replacement had been signed and sealed.

With the system we play have the outfield players are primarily defenders yet we only have six on the books if you include El-Abd, this should have been the area for spending big money if any. Midfield we're OK with the emergence of Reid but as others have said Wilbs is struggling a bit so far and can'y be expected to play in more than about 3/4 of the games so we need at least one more. Looks like it will have to be loans, let's hope we don't have the same problems as last time in the Championship with emergency loan defenders.

It's going to be a relegation struggle this season for sure, the good thing is that there are others in the same boat. PNE and MKD have struggled to recruit the same as us and won't be far away from us at the end of the season. Also Rotherham already look doomed and Bolton, Blackburn and Huddersfield are going to struggle so it's vital we take points off those teams when we play them.

If we can survive this season hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and have a better squad for next year.

If we're struggling near the bottom at Christmas and Cotts has fallen out with the management he could be in a difficult position given how our Board has behaved in the past.

How are we ok in midfield with the emergence of Reid?

One injury and who is on the bench?

At present Smith (brilliant) and Pack are certainties, imagine an away game where one of these two isn't available.

Pack's height is vital, whereas Smith is a superb defensive midfielder, good as they are Freeman and Reid in a midfield three away from AG doesn't bear thinking about.

The whole situation Pongo is totally unacceptable, why is it that this club bounces from crisis to crisis?

It really is incomprehensible for so many reasons;

We have known since around March time that we were likely to get promoted so we've had the luxury of planning for much longer than most clubs for the new season.

Burt and Cotterill are not strangers to the Championship so should know what's needed .

Budget: even allowing for the fact that we have n't a big wage budget ,i thought the idea was to run with a smaller squad of quality players to whom we could pay the going rate.

Now we are gambling on finding loan players to supplement the team ,

i am disappointed because i believed that the club had moved forwards and had finally become the professional outfit that it needs to be to compete with the best but at the moment we look like a laughing stock.

Won't quote you Ashton_fan but imagine JET and Kodjia up front, most unpredictable forward line in the league!

I'm not sure if this would be a dream combination or my worst nightmare. On a good day they would destroy any defence in the league. On a bad day.........aghhhhh

How are we ok in midfield with the emergence of Reid?

One injury and who is on the bench?

At present Smith (brilliant) and Pack are certainties, imagine an away game where one of these two isn't available.

Pack's height is vital, whereas Smith is a superb defensive midfielder, good as they are Freeman and Reid in a midfield three away from AG doesn't bear thinking about.

Agree that it either Freeman or Reid, cannot envisage both playing in the same starting XI. Also agree with most posts on here that we need at least one defender, one midfielder and one striker.

I'd say we could do with two in defence, one big centre back in the Flint mould and one left sided who can fill in at wing back much like Ayling could on the right.

Following on from there we could do with another two in midfield, one defensive minded who is going to cut the ball out and manage the midfield and one more creative.

Then finally a striker. We clearly had issues yesterday putting the ball away. Wilbraham only has so long left so would be nice to see a big, strong finisher come in... i.e. not Dwight Gayle.

Archived