IGNORED

Options Limited

John Galley

Goals win games, defences win you titles is an age old saying.  Not suggesting the later, but its clear we need to stop the problem at the back more than address the issue at the front.

However.. I'd image the last loan will be - if use - for a striker..

I'm pretty sure the rules are the same, something like....

* You can only loan 4 players on season-long loans.

* You can loan as many players on a short-term basis as you like.

* Emergency loans come with their own rules and require an application.

* You are only allowed 5 loan players in your matchday squad OR playing on the field of XI.

I would guess that Liam Moore has signed on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

If it doesn't work out with LM, then we can sign someone else from January until the end of the season.

Win win for all involved.

Having two extra additions means that at least now Cotterill has greater flexibility in strengthening both the defence and the midfield. 

Whether Ayling moves into midfield or someone else doesn't really matter. It's the fact of having greater options that makes the difference.

It looks to me:

1) Moore and Baker will very likely have been enticed here by being told the plan is for them to be first team players.

2) 2 of the current 3 centre backs will be displaced either immediately, or - depending on match fitness - over the next couple of weeks.

3) Flint will not lose his place.

4) Ayling will be switched to elsewhere in the team -  probably right back so Little can fully recover, or possibly midfield.

5) Williams will lose his place.

6) El Abd will be at another club very shortly.

Likely first 11: Hamer (Fielding) Ayling, Baker, Flint, Moore, Bryan, Freeman, Smith ,Pack, Wilbraham, Kodjia

Bench 7 from 8: Fielding (Hamer) Little, Williams, Wagstaff, Reid, Burns, Robinson, Agard.

2 great signings i think , but do you all feel a bit of an anti climax after the events of the previous weeks ? I do , some good players have been snapped up by other clubs , how many good strikers do Preston have now ? I do hope we have at least 1 striker and a experienced midfielder lined up as our squad is still mighty thin .

Anyone have a list of free agents? Used to be available on PFA website, but now restricted to clubs. Can only think of Sordell, Carlton Cole and Ameobi off the top of my head and out of those only Sordell appeals. Can see us waiting to Jan for a new striker. Only worth bringing someone in if they are a big improvement on what we have. 

It looks to me:

1) Moore and Baker will very likely have been enticed here by being told the plan is for them to be first team players.

2) 2 of the current 3 centre backs will be displaced either immediately, or - depending on match fitness - over the next couple of weeks.

4) Ayling will be switched to elsewhere in the team -  probably right back so Little can fully recover, or possibly midfield.

Likely first 11: Hamer (Fielding) Ayling, Baker, Flint, Moore, Bryan, Freeman, Smith ,Pack, Wilbraham, Kodjia

Bench 7 from 8: Fielding (Hamer) Little, Williams, Wagstaff, Reid, Burns, Robinson, Agard.

As Baker is left footed should be Moore, Flint, Baker 

All I know is that Baker and Moore are now our best CBs. This should displace Williams to cover. In my opinion we should push Ayling up to Packs spot. Ayling would get burned at RWB I think but he's played RB before. Pretty sure Moore is quite quick though. 

At the end of the day we now have a few more options which is great. I imagine we will bring in another striker. There are still a few free agents out there on top of our 1 more loan. 

Liam Moore's interview seemed to indicate that if things go well that it could become permanent.  Anyone else read the same into as me?

Not seen much apart from U21 games, but positive he will be astute signing.

As for Baker, a bit of an old fashioned defender who despite playing 80 odd games for Villa, I didn't think was Prem class.  But as for Championship - a good signing on paper, with the added benefit of being left sided.  I'm still a fan of DW, so let's not write him off yet!!!

All I know is that Baker and Moore are now our best CBs. This should displace Williams to cover. In my opinion we should push Ayling up to Packs spot. Ayling would get burned at RWB I think but he's played RB before. Pretty sure Moore is quite quick though. 

At the end of the day we now have a few more options which is great. I imagine we will bring in another striker. There are still a few free agents out there on top of our 1 more loan. 

why would ailing struggle at RWB?  he played right back for Yeovil in the championship and was by far there best player.

I can only go on what I have seen so far this season on Player plus a number of mainly away games last season, have to say Ayling is very very good coming forward with the ball and picks out a pass superbly, have thought for some time he is wasted in the back three, his strength is going forward and using the ball intelligently.

In fairness the manager wants 4 strikers and we have them if you count Burns (who it seems SC doesn't count as a striker more a utility player wing/striker), so if we don't sign a new player its up to Agard and Burns to prove why we don't need one.

I think we have plenty of flexibility in defence now, its not a big squad but a flexible one.

Probably need a defensive midfielder more than a striker, Reid has so far proved he can do as good a job as Freeman has this season in an attacking role but I'm not sure Waggy is the answer for def mid which possibly only leaves Ayling if we lose Smith or Pack.

I didn't get the feeling that if all goes well with Moore that he could be signed permanently in January, I thought it was more 'here for a couple of months, play some games, get back'. Highly rated though, happy to be proved wrong

Anyone else think he looks like Ronaldo, with a slightly chubbier face?

It looks to me:

Agree on the first 11 with possibly one exception; Reid for Freeman; only because I think the guy deserves to keep his place. he has been MOM at least once since coming in. He's ready. Could Reid and Freeman play in the same midfield with Pack dropping to the bench? 

Bringing those two defenders in has certainly given us more flexibility.

• Admin

I didn't get the feeling that if all goes well with Moore that he could be signed permanently in January, I thought it was more 'here for a couple of months, play some games, get back'. Highly rated though, happy to be proved wrong

Anyone else think he looks like Ronaldo, with a slightly chubbier face?

I got the impression that it could become permanent in January but that would only happen if we have become a challenger at the top end of the table.

Agree on the first 11 with possibly one exception; Reid for Freeman; only because I think the guy deserves to keep his place. he has been MOM at least once since coming in. He's ready. Could Reid and Freeman play in the same midfield with Pack dropping to the bench? 

Bringing those two defenders in has certainly given us more flexibility.

Bobby's done well, and indeed very well for 25 mins. or so against Burnley.

His MOTM award was partly based on sentiment for a local player fans want to encourage, and want to do well, and wasn't actually justified though imo., and he's certainly nowhere near ready to depose a proven classy player like Freeman.

What Bobby has done is put himself genuinely in the frame for the future. He now has to increase his stamina and impress for longer periods because despite that very impressive spell he also disappeared for long periods of the match.

He won't displace Pack, they offer completely different things to the team, and in fact Pack should have been MOTM imo.

I got the impression that it could become permanent in January but that would only happen if we have become a challenger at the top end of the table.

Fair enough, lets hope Moore plays his part in getting us up there then....in his hands, and the others, of course!

• Admin

Bobby's done well, and indeed very well for 25 mins. or so against Burnley.

His MOTM award was partly based on sentiment for a local player fans want to encourage, and want to do well, and wasn't actually justified though imo., and he's certainly nowhere near ready to depose a proven classy player like Freeman.

What Bobby has done is put himself genuinely in the frame for the future. He now has to increase his stamina and impress for longer periods because despite that very impressive spell he also disappeared for long periods of the match.

He won't displace Pack, they offer completely different things to the team, and in fact Pack should have been MOTM imo.

I tend to agree with this, especially that the main thing Bobby has done is put himself in the picture. A couple of games ago, Bobby was the odd one out when Cotts came to selecting his bench and he found himself kicking his heels in the stands. What he did during Freeman's absence is (presumably) convince Cotts that he is capable of affecting a game and will now feature on the bench more certainly as Luke's replacement. 

Also worth mentioning that neither Luke or Bobby will drop back to take Pack's role in midfield as it will leave us woefully short (in stature) in the middle of the park. Pack is very good aerially.

• Admin

Fair enough, lets hope Moore plays his part in getting us up there then....in his hands, and the others, of course!

We certainly look more solid (no pun intended) with a backline of Moore Flint Baker. We do look decent going forward so would back us to score most games, start keeping a few clean sheets and we will soon put a run together.

As the adage goes, strikers win matches, defences win titles. (I'm not saying we're gonna win the league in this post, but improving our defence will certainly help send us up to the right end of the table if we have got the blend right)

We certainly look more solid (no pun intended) with a backline of Moore Flint Baker. We do look decent going forward so would back us to score most games, start keeping a few clean sheets and we will soon put a run together.

As the adage goes, strikers win matches, defences win titles. (I'm not saying we're gonna win the league in this post, but improving our defence will certainly help send us up to the right end of the table if we have got the blend right)

I agree. Said in another thread that if Moore and Baker play to the standard they have done then those two alongside Flint look pretty solid

I also think Codger will back a few this season, just waiting for it all to click into place. I would hope the pursestrings may be loosened in January if things are going well - that's the time to get people in

• Admin

I agree. Said in another thread that if Moore and Baker play to the standard they have done then those two alongside Flint look pretty solid

I also think Codger will back a few this season, just waiting for it all to click into place. I would hope the pursestrings may be loosened in January if things are going well - that's the time to get people in

Now you're just posting my whole thought pattern. How do I evict you from my head before you find the dodgy stuff?

Now you're just posting my whole thought pattern. How do I evict you from my head before you find the dodgy stuff?

Blimey - not sure what I've done here.....!!

Anyway, way too late mate, dodgy stuff found - I think a new subforum is needed, Ian M and his mucky mind. You should share this thoughts with people.....!

Archived