IGNORED

Options Limited

John Galley

Bobby's done well, and indeed very well for 25 mins. or so against Burnley.

His MOTM award was partly based on sentiment for a local player fans want to encourage, and want to do well, and wasn't actually justified though imo., and he's certainly nowhere near ready to depose a proven classy player like Freeman.

What Bobby has done is put himself genuinely in the frame for the future. He now has to increase his stamina and impress for longer periods because despite that very impressive spell he also disappeared for long periods of the match.

He won't displace Pack, they offer completely different things to the team, and in fact Pack should have been MOTM imo.

OK thanks for that summary; certainly puts me a little more in the picture.

Imho, Ayling wouldn't be able to play RWB....he doesn't have the speed, stamina or strength to play that position.

As a defender or defensive midfielder yes...but not wing back.

Think we still need a defensive playmaker for Competition for Pack.

Someone who can spray the ball about like him and pick a pass. Smith does all the tidying up and 'simple' stuff very well.

The whole point of playing with Wing backs is to widen the game,  attack fast and create space. Pack will be under Instruction to pass like he does...we need someone who can do that well, consistently.

Surly burns is our rwb cover now after playing well there a few times, plus I don't see ayling being too useful there, it's a different position to a normal rb. Pack in my view is the weakest link and ayling needs to replace him. With Williams and pack covering cb and cdm, that leaves us with enough options. Could of done with 1 more striker and maybe cover for joe but baring that were fine now I'd say. 

Imho, Ayling wouldn't be able to play RWB....he doesn't have the speed, stamina or strength to play that position.

As a defender or defensive midfielder yes...but not wing back.

Think we still need a defensive playmaker for Competition for Pack.

Someone who can spray the ball about like him and pick a pass. Smith does all the tidying up and 'simple' stuff very well.

The whole point of playing with Wing backs is to widen the game,  attack fast and create space. Pack will be under Instruction to pass like he does...we need someone who can do that well, consistently.

As much as I like Luke Ayling he is shockingly exposed when one on one with a fast winger, particularly if the winger goes outside of him. Defensive midfield beckons I think.

As much as I like Luke Ayling he is shockingly exposed when one on one with a fast winger, particularly if the winger goes outside of him. Defensive midfield beckons I think.

Yes but Little is defensively worse IMO, he has pace but even last season got turned inside out by any player with some ability.

We certainly look more solid (no pun intended) with a backline of Moore Flint Baker. We do look decent going forward so would back us to score most games, start keeping a few clean sheets and we will soon put a run together.

As the adage goes, strikers win matches, defences win titles. (I'm not saying we're gonna win the league in this post, but improving our defence will certainly help send us up to the right end of the table if we have got the blend right)

We haven't seen them player together yet. I'd be wary of changing both Williams and Ayling for them. I'd rather Flinty had someone next to him who knows the role, just for communication purposes.

Agree with the first sentence AB...but i'm not sure Ayling could do Packs job. Pack has his weaknesses...but he does have the ability to pick a pass to the wide players. Not sure Ayling has that ability needed at this level.

Tbh...that's where i'd be looking to improve the team. We need a defensive playmaker of quality. Someone to play alongside Smith.

We have the makings of a quality Championship side.

On paper, if this team played to it's potential consistently, it could do well.

-------------------------------------------------------------- Hamer/FF--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------Ayling/Moore ----------------------Flint/Baker----------------------Williams/Baker--------------------------

---------------------------------------- Pack/ Another-----------------------Smith-------------------------------------------------------

Little/Another-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan/Robinson

-------------------------------------------------------------Freeman/Reid------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Codger/Another----------------------------Wilbs/Agard--------------------------------------------

Archived