IGNORED

Article on Jonathan Kodjia

devoncider

As well as being featured in l'equipe this week, Kodjia also featured in a piece I wrote.

I felt the need to write this as some fans (at least those around me in the Dolman) seem very quick to critise him. Give the man time!

http://tbrfootball.com/jonathan-kodjia-bristol-citys-dangers-man/

Would love to see both new cb start with Flint and ayling slot in at rwb. Hopefully this international break will give them a bit more time to settle.

hopefully pick a decent striker and midfielder on loan or out of contract and I will be very happy indeed.

i really do believe we will have a good season. We're dominating large parts of games and we've not even started playing the football we know they can. Hopefully these two new signings will strengthen us at the back.

As well as being featured in l'equipe this week, Kodjia also featured in a piece I wrote.

I felt the need to write this as some fans (at least those around me in the Dolman) seem very quick to critise him. Give the man time!

http://tbrfootball.com/jonathan-kodjia-bristol-citys-dangers-man/

Nice little article fella. I shouldn't take much notice to those around you in the Dolman ;-)

Just watching him play, you can see the potential. I was watching him play off the shoulder of the last defender against Burnley...he makes some very astute moves and has a quick brain...unfortunately our midfield weren't as quick minded to see the pass. On the occasions they do, he has got in some good positions to score, unfortunately he's been unlucky on a few attempts on goal or tried to hard to 'make sure' of a goal instead of pulling the trigger. I'm sure as goals come, he will become more composed.

I also think all this talk of 6-9 Million pound strikers has taken some of the gloss off of Codger as a signing. Which is a shame.

He looks an exciting prospect.

Good article, but we didn't gain promotion through the play-offs!!

We walked the league by a mile!!

The LMA think we did though; i have also pointed out to them that Rovers do not play at Ashton Gate and Steve Cotterill is not their manager; they wrote back apologising saying that their new site is having teething problems and that they have a very small team; yeah ok then!

Nice little article fella. I shouldn't take much notice to those around you in the Dolman ;-)

Just watching him play, you can see the potential. I was watching him play off the shoulder of the last defender against Burnley...he makes some very astute moves and has a quick brain...unfortunately our midfield weren't as quick minded to see the pass. On the occasions they do, he has got in some good positions to score, unfortunately he's been unlucky on a few attempts on goal or tried to hard to 'make sure' of a goal instead of pulling the trigger. I'm sure as goals come, he will become more composed.

I also think all this talk of 6-9 Million pound strikers has taken some of the gloss off of Codger as a signing. Which is a shame.

He looks an exciting prospect.

Completely agree Spudski. Acknowledge I ought to stay grounded because it is only based on a few early games but I really am excited by his potential. As you point out his movement is exceptional. I think it could be at least on par with any striker I have seen playing for us.

I'm going to enjoy him whilst he's here because I don't think his footballing 'brain' will go unnoticed for very long. Within reason, anything else can be taught after all.

Of the very little I have seen of him my only worry is that he is lightweight and gets barged off the ball easily.  I guess that doesn't matter too much if he is on the last defender and has the pace to outrun them!

Exactly as I see him, but seen enough to make me think we have made a wise choice and that element of his game will come good.

Hopefully, the language issue might not take long to sort out. Remember when Pocettino took over at Southampton; how he always had an interpreter to translate his post-match comments? By the end of one season and the start of the next he felt confident enough to speak for himself. 

Hanging around English speakers all day surely should ensure that Kodjia will soon start understanding his manager and team mates. he might even pick up a Brizzle twang! In the meantime let's hope his feet do the talking!

Completely agree Spudski. Acknowledge I ought to stay grounded because it is only based on a few early games but I really am excited by his potential. As you point out his movement is exceptional. I think it could be at least on par with any striker I have seen playing for us.

I'm going to enjoy him whilst he's here because I don't think his footballing 'brain' will go unnoticed for very long. Within reason, anything else can be taught after all.

His movement is very good AR...sometimes too good for our midfield and defenders to pick out.

I noticed him get frustrated when balls had not been played into space, or to him, when he had made some great movement to receive.

Hopefully a greater understanding will develop.

What I hope doesn't happen, is people right him off, because some of our players don't give him the service he requires.

Hopefully Freemans return will help.

His movement is very good AR...sometimes too good for our midfield and defenders to pick out.

I noticed him get frustrated when balls had not been played into space, or to him, when he had made some great movement to receive.

Hopefully a greater understanding will develop.

What I hope doesn't happen, is people right him off, because some of our players don't give him the service he requires.

Hopefully Freemans return will help.

What bodes well imo is that like you I agree there's a lot of space and potential opportunities he creates for himself which don't get exploited but, certainly in our home games, he's still getting numerous chances each game.  

From me he'll get plenty of patience. So long as a striker is getting the chances he has one of the most difficult aspects of the job licked. Some are just late bloomers in refining their finishing or composure in front of goal. 

There are two blokes near me in the Dolman who repeatedly slag Kodjia off for not getting on the end of Citys creative forward play. They're both middle aged and obviously good mates but hard looking so I've not said anything "constructive" to them.

If I ever have enough balls or enough pints I'd mention to them the fact that Drogba was shite during his first season at Chelski, diving all over the place and looking like a waste of money but the following season once he understood the English game he was brilliant and on his way to becaming a Chelski legend.

Im not comparing the two in terms of ability but both Kodjia and Drogba are French Ivorians. No doubt in my mind that given time to adapt Kodjia will become a class striker at City.

There are two blokes near me in the Dolman who repeatedly slag Kodjia off for not getting on the end of Citys creative forward play. They're both middle aged and obviously good mates but hard looking so I've not said anything "constructive" to them.

If I ever have enough balls or enough pints I'd mention to them the fact that Drogba was shite during his first season at Chelski, diving all over the place and looking like a waste of money but the following season once he understood the English game he was brilliant and on his way to becaming a Chelski legend.

Im not comparing the two in terms of ability but both Kodjia and Drogba are French Ivorians. No doubt in my mind that given time to adapt Kodjia will become a class striker at City.

Drogba was given no support by Chelsea to integrate into a new country, new club, different language etc....hardly surprising he took a while to settle.

The club need to bend over backwards to support a man they paid £2.1m for....that's a big investment irrespective of bigger offers for other players.  If the rumour re needing help from supporters to get to the first game are true, the club should be ashamed.  Hopefully it was just a rumour!

The guy has a lot of talent, can create his own chances etc....I foresee him scoring the odd magical goal, i.e. Beating a few players before smashing one, that will have us purring.  We all went pretty mad after 2 minutes v Brentford. There us more to come IMHO. 

I recently spent time in Angers and it is a small town dominated by a gigantic castle fortification and a huge cathedral. Aside from these two grand sights the town is a sleepy but pleasant place in the heart of the Loire wine region (hence my visit!). 

My point is that there is a massive cultural difference and with no one to help him integrate language-wise he will certainly need to be given leeway and time to settle. His talent is clear to see. Once his fitness gets him up to more than an hour, we will certainly see even more from him.

Speaking to the locals, no other firm bids came in, contrary to reports, and they were happy with the cash they got as they felt him "electrifying, but raw."

Just tune into a phone in on any sports station, multi million pound players all over the country get slated, lets not turn this into the usual bashing of our own supporters, they are no different to the rest of the country

Very true...I think half the problem, is many of them are pished as a newt, and some as high as a kite...how they can watch a game and then give fair analysis is beyond me.

Having seen JK in three games now (Weds, Leeds, Burnley), its noticeable that there is an improvement game on game, which bodes well going forward. I do get the impression he doesn't know what he's going to do with the ball at his feet, so how will the opposition, but if you look at the Burnley CBs on saturday, you had experience in Duff and a strong young CB in Keane, and they were both backing off him - not necessarily for position either, but because they didn't seem to believe they 'had his number' and were aware he could go past them. He'll square up players, and he'll do well at this level - confident in that

Watched codger warming up closely. He was on his own doing his own thing looking like he never had a friend in the world. I think his body language was this is hard for me. I think the language problem makes it very hard and hope he finds a mate in the squad soon . I think when he finds his comfort zone  and feels happy he will turn out a massive signing. 

Good piece. I enjoyed this.

In a previous post (after the Brentford game I think), I described him as a League One player at best. Which, understandably, a few posters took exception to. My comments were made more out of frustration at us not converting the endless chances that have come our way, and arguably cost us victories against Brentford and Burnley.

I’ve seen him in our 3 home games, and will see him again at Birmingham. He’s actually quicker than I first thought. He has a nice first touch and clearly enjoys running at defenders. What’s encouraging is that he’s getting a lot of chances already. I reckon he must average about 3 good chances per game. I think one of the posters above is spot on in saying he often looks like he doesn’t know what he’s going to do with the ball. I’ve noticed that he does run and run, rarely looks up, and then loses the ball. Or quite often tumbles over.

He does give me the impression of a player who will fall over his own feet quite a lot. His final touch needs working on. Even just a simple lay-off would be a start. And of course his finishing is a little wayward at the moment. But, at least he’s in the thick of things.

I think Agard will be a far better partner for him than Wilbraham. But even he needs to work on his finishing. If he scores 15 goals this season, we can count it as a pretty successful first season. Goals from the midfield are going to be crucial. 

Archived