IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

That’s kind of my gripe about this. Sky should have sensed the mood and the year we’ve all had and offered it up for £10. Bet they’d do 5x more sales 

Eddie had moaned about people stealing streams in the past and his answer is obviously to hump the price up,the wrong uns like us will continue to do it while the honest people will get stung even more 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope he doesn't, I find him a very dislikeable character. I'm conflicted tonight - I really want AJ vs Fury next year, but I really enjoy it when Joshua loses. 

Think we've been through this before but why?

Please don't tell me it's the "my mate's mate told me he was a **** when he was growing up" so i don't like him, which I've heard dozens of times. 

"He killed a dog" etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m pretty good at finding streams - if this one plays up I’ll take a look and send you all a PM. Good to have crowds back anyway. Bakole vs Kuzmin dropped under the radar a bit, very good fight. Possibly most competitive on the card.

Iknow I'm being very fussy but anywhere that streams with uk coverage? I love a bit of Johnny Nelson

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think we've been through this before but why?

Please don't tell me it's the "my mate's mate told me he was a **** when he was growing up" so i don't like him, which I've heard dozens of times. 

"He killed a dog" etc

Racist remarks, manufactured personality, marketed to casuals. That's my reasoning.

I believe he's very good, less naturally gifted than Fury but comfortably the 2nd or 3rd best in the world right now. I don't think he's a very good guy though.

For racist remarks - see the incredibly well covered up Eddie Chambers leaked Instagram DMs 2 or 3 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Racist remarks, manufactured personality, marketed to casuals. That's my reasoning.

I believe he's very good, less naturally gifted than Fury but comfortably the 2nd or 3rd best in the world right now. I don't think he's a very good guy though.

For racist remarks - see the incredibly well covered up Eddie Chambers leaked Instagram DMs 2 or 3 years ago. 

Isn’t that Fury you are describing in the first sentence 

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Isn’t that Fury you are describing in the first sentence 

Fury isn't perfect but hasn't had the luxury of the Sky/Matchroom machine sweeping things under the carpet for him. Joshua has, they've done an incredible job at hiding his true personality from the mass market due to his endorsements and the power of Sky/Matchroom. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fury isn't perfect but hasn't had the luxury of the Sky/Matchroom machine sweeping things under the carpet for him. Joshua has, they've done an incredible job at hiding his true personality from the mass market due to his endorsements and the power of Sky/Matchroom. 

Doesn’t hide fury’s racist remarks or homosexual remarks,that’s before you take in his casual drug taking and performance drug taking 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fury is an unbearable gorm. 

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Doesn’t hide fury’s racist remarks or homosexual remarks,that’s before you take in his casual drug taking and performance drug taking 

We're not talking about Fury though, this is a thread about Joshua's fight and my original comments were about Joshua. I've never denied that Fury has said things too, but the difference is that Joshua's are nicely covered up by his promotion and backers.

Similar things have emerged about fellow Matchroom figher Shannon Courtenay over the weekend, she has a nice endorsement with Adidas too. As usual, nicely covered up. 

Just now, petehinton said:

Fury is an unbearable gorm. 

Most gifted heavyweight and an exceptional talent. He's flawed but far more entertaining than the mass market engineered Joshua. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do you actually believe AJ is a racist? C'mon. If you do, then Fury is a card-carrying homophobe. 

I assume you also dislike Mayweather and want him to lose every fight given he's beaten women up? That crime is far worse than anything Fury or AJ have done. 

He is of course manufactured and marketed, but at heart he seems genuine enough to me. If you are holding "marketed to casuals" against him then you are dismissing a hell of a lot of elite boxers! There's nothing wrong with sportspersons transcending their sports. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do you actually believe AJ is a racist? C'mon. If you do, then Fury is a card-carrying homophobe. 

I assume you also dislike Mayweather and want him to lose every fight given he's beaten women up? That crime is far worse than anything Fury or AJ have done. 

He is of course manufactured and marketed, but at heart he seems genuine enough to me. If you are holding "marketed to casuals" against him then you are dismissing a hell of a lot of elite boxers! There's nothing wrong with sportspersons transcending their sports. 

I think the Fury issue is complex, the context is important. At the time he was going through serious mental health issues. He's also from the travelling community where tradition and traditional family values are prevalent. Doesn't mean I agree with him or that his views shouldn't be challenged though. 

Have you actually seen what Joshua said to Eddie Chambers or more recently his views about "not shopping at their (white people's) businesses" at a BLM protest? I appreciate the BLM remarks are more nuanced, but the Eddie Chambers stuff is fairly cut and dry regardless of context. It's been well covered up, but it's out there and is easy to find if you look.

The difference between the two is the cover up. Fury hasn't had that luxury. When he was going through his issues and made his comments he was treated very critically by the media, Joshua never was. It's the double standard that bothered me.

I also dislike Mayweather as a man, doesn't mean I don't think he's a good fighter though. Same applies to Joshua.

Edited by Phileas Fogg