IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Have to say watching the gloves are off with AJ what a credit this guy is to his sport. None of this embarrassing trash talk rubbish fighting at press conferences etc unlike the morons we have seen in the past week. Top bloke no wonder people in this country are getting behind him.

Don't agree there - I find him very boring to listen to. He's a bit like a footballer, lots of safe answers and not much personality.  I much prefer more interesting characters for boxing, not ones that say the right things and talk about 'staying humble' all the time.

I don't think the country are that enthused either, he's got nowhere near the following someone like Ricky Hatton had for example. People loved Hatton, there's no chance AJ would inspire thousands of fans to go to Vegas.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't agree there - I find him very boring to listen to. He's a bit like a footballer, lots of safe answers and not much personality.  I much prefer more interesting characters for boxing, not ones that say the right things and talk about 'staying humble' all the time.

I don't think the country are that enthused either, he's got nowhere near the following someone like Ricky Hatton had for example. People loved Hatton, there's no chance AJ would inspire thousands of fans to go to Vegas.

Disagree with that Hatton had massive following in Manchester, AJ has the support of the whole country. Hatton was also a bang average fighter.

Edited by Super

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Disagree with that Hatton had massive following in Manchester, AJ has the support of the whole country.

Not so sure really, of course lots of his support came from Manchester but I think there was far more public interest in his fights vs Mayweather and Pacquiao than AJ fights. I think that is partly down to choice of opponents. Theoretically though, I think Hatton vs Mayweather would still have been a bigger event nationwide than if Joshua was fighting Klitschko.

AJ is marketed pretty well. He looks like what people think a heavyweight boxer should look like physically. Bit of a rags to riches story who's turned his life around.. gold medal winner.. says the right things.

Compare that to Fury, who I believe is a better boxer.. despite all his antics, he will never be completely accepted nationally due to his gypsy heritage.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not so sure really, of course lots of his support came from Manchester but I think there was far more public interest in his fights vs Mayweather and Pacquiao than AJ fights. I think that is partly down to choice of opponents. Theoretically though, I think Hatton vs Mayweather would still have been a bigger event nationwide than if Joshua was fighting Klitschko.

AJ is marketed pretty well. He looks like what people think a heavyweight boxer should look like physically. Bit of a rags to riches story who's turned his life around.. gold medal winner.. says the right things.

Compare that to Fury, who I believe is a better boxer.. despite all his antics, he will never be completely accepted nationally due to his gypsy heritage.

I think that was more down to what big names Manny and Floyd were. Sadly the heavyweight division now doesn't have these since the likes of Tyson and Holyfield called it a day.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I think that was more down to what big names Manny and Floyd were. Sadly the heavyweight division now doesn't have these since the likes of Tyson and Holyfield called it a day.

Well of course, but as I said - I don't think a theoretical Wlad vs AJ fight would better Hatton vs Mayweather for public interest. People loved Hatton, he was hugely popular.

These links below are testament to that - Hearn predicts an optimistic 400,000 for this weekend whereas Hatton vs Matweather was around 3x that in the UK alone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/2329041/Ricky-Hatton-shatters-viewing-record.html

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/eddie-hearn-on-the-anthony-joshua-vs-eric-molina-pay-per-view/

It's an interesting debate. Hatton tapped in to the football supporting lad market, particularly around Manchester and his fans were rabidly loyal to him. He took tens of thousands to Vegas with him several times and his ppv figures for the Mayweather fight were amazing- well over 1 million buys for a fight at 5 am on a Sunday.

I think AJ has a lot more crossover appeal to non boxing fans though and his potential earnings and popularity dwarf Hatton's in the long term, Ricky was at the peak of his career when getting that many buys, AJ is a relative novice.

Thought AJ came over well in the IFL interview yesterday, less of a media trained gonk

One final point @SuperI disagree with your 'bang average' rating of Hatton. He wasn't a very good boxer you're right, but he was the best pressure fighter this country has produced since Nigel Benn and fought 2 of the biggest names ever to get in the ring. Fair bloody play to him I say!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stortz said:

It's an interesting debate. Hatton tapped in to the football supporting lad market, particularly around Manchester and his fans were rabidly loyal to him. He took tens of thousands to Vegas with him several times and his ppv figures for the Mayweather fight were amazing- well over 1 million buys for a fight at 5 am on a Sunday.

I think AJ has a lot more crossover appeal to non boxing fans though and his potential earnings and popularity dwarf Hatton's in the long term, Ricky was at the peak of his career when getting that many buys, AJ is a relative novice.

Thought AJ came over well in the IFL interview yesterday, less of a media trained gonk

One final point @SuperI disagree with your 'bang average' rating of Hatton. He wasn't a very good boxer you're right, but he was the best pressure fighter this country has produced since Nigel Benn and fought 2 of the biggest names ever to get in the ring. Fair bloody play to him I say!

Agree, think if he carries on being marketed well he'll do very well in that crossover to non boxing fans. His face fits I think and if/when he wins World Heavyweight Champion eventually I think he'll probably win Sports Personality (unlike Fury).

Getting Stormzy to do his ring walk performance was very clever and I think we'll see more of that going forward. Wonder if we will on Saturday? I predict some big entrance show. 

I disagreed with Super mainly that the country are that much behind AJ in comparison to Hatton. I don't think it's anywhere near yet. Give it a year or two though. 

I can't see him ever taking legions of fans to vegas. Perhaps that's partly the football lad market thing though. Same principle as following your football team. 

This is still an awesome video

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Fair point maybe bang average was the wrong word Hatton was obviously a limited fighter but that took him a long way and took 2 of the greats to beat him. Not counting his last defeat as he was already finished.

Really can't see this being much of a fight on Saturday I have seen nothing from Molina to suggest he thinks he can win.

Edited by Super

On 02/12/2016 at 22:22, Stortz said:

I totally agree; i think Paulie is one of the most insightful, intelligent callers of fights I've ever heard.

At the same time, I can see why he would grate if you didn't like the cut of his jib and vicariously appreciate @Super's dislike of him!

Look at this though, they guy is class imo

Paulie will always be a legend in my eyes, just because he's the only fighter i have ever seen getting a hair cut in his corner between rounds!

Think it was a co-main fight and Hatton was main fight, crazy stuff

1 hour ago, yardy said:

Paulie will always be a legend in my eyes, just because he's the only fighter i have ever seen getting a hair cut in his corner between rounds!

Think it was a co-main fight and Hatton was main fight, crazy stuff

You're right mate, it was indeed on the undercard of Hatton Lazcano in Manchester in May 2008- the fight when Ricky did his ringwalk in a fat suit haha.

The hair crimes Paulie has committed are legion...

@Super will enjoy that greatly no doubt!

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Rumours at this stage but Sky not helping dismiss it with this... something missing?

CzKblq6XcAA0Bbh.jpg

If it is then perhaps its a wake up call for Hearn that he can't have every fight build up be as stupid as the last few.

Leaves Hearn in a world of shit if so, he'll be under pressure to reduce or pull the ppv.

I read on Boxing News this morning that the board were meeting today and could cancel the fight, but I didn't really think they'd have the balls to do it. They are in serious danger of pissing off the man with golden goose and Sky if they do. I don't think they'd have tried to assert their authority like this a few months ago but in view of the Warren/ BT Sport tie up are obviously feeling emboldened.

It's a shame Delboy is such a lunatic.