IGNORED

A list of City's players that absolutely everyone hated

Lord Northski

'Hate' is a very strong word.

Also some on here talking for all of us 'every City fan hated x' - no-one can know what everyone is thinking.

I don't quite get the annoyance at Russell Osman.

Yep he bombed out Jacki which some cannot forgive, but he gave us the win at Anfield although looking at our line up that night I still can't quite believe we actually won up there!

Still, loved RO's indignation that we took more fans to Anfield than we had at our previous home game when interviewed after the game!

I suppose he is "hated" for playing for Cardiff and managing Plymouth, Cardiff and Gas.

Still, on the bright side, he's now assistant boss at Newport and he was in Escape to Victory!

Negative, childish thread, besides any player that wears the Badge has my respect, all you haters should find another club I think.

Why? Do you respect people you may have worked with in the past who did lousy jobs and were taking the piss?

Players come and go. With a few exceptions, few form a permanent bond with the club. Supporters stay. We ARE the club.

And because we have that emotional bond with Bristol City we like players who try their hardest, who respect the shirt they wear, exhibit pride, respect us supporters  and aren't clearly only here to pick up a handsome paycheck.

Now, I don't agree with all the names being put forward, but some certainly didn't do some or all of the above.

I don't  hate them as individuals,  but I certainly hated them turning out for the club I love.

Why the hate for Russell Osman? Was a little before my time but always thought he was well respected? Guess not.

Let me just set the scene. We were at home and I think it was a closeish game, and Russell Osman scores at the Atyeo end. Cue a chorus of booing for the goal. Never heard before, and will never be heard again. Now you understand the depth of feeling for him. The most negative and uninsipiring manager we will ever have.

Just proves what I am saying Pulis went from strength to strength, of course the haters could not forgive the Gas tag.

I know you like to disagree with most people most of the time, but I simply cannot fathom any rational thinker disagreeing with Pulis on this list.  It matters not what he did before, or what he did after (which was make Sjoke a successful long ball team).

We took years to recover from Pulis having only just really recovering from Osman.  It was nothing to do with his roots, it was all to do with the fact that we were never a long ball team and his first signing (Peter Beadle*) set out his stall straight away.  We were going long ball.  His attitude to the fans was poor, even his own chairman commented that he'd have happily driven him to Pompey for the interview if he'd known.  And then when he was interviewed when coming back to the Gate with Sjoke commented that he was pleased to finally be managing a team that he wanted to.  

The guy came here for the payday and took the piss.  Nothing to do with his Gas roots (i was relatively young at the time so had no idea of his past and I'm sure I wasn't the only one). 

* disclaimer: This isn't a slight on Beadle who was a great pro while he was here.

Why? Do you respect people you may have worked with in the past who did lousy jobs and were taking the piss?

Players come and go. With a few exceptions, few form a permanent bond with the club. Supporters stay. We ARE the club.

And because we have that emotional bond with Bristol City we like players who try their hardest, who respect the shirt they wear, exhibit pride, respect us supporters  and aren't clearly only here to pick up a handsome paycheck.

Now, I don't agree with all the names being put forward, but some certainly didn't do some or all of the above.

I don't  hate them as individuals,  but I certainly hated them turning out for the club I love.

Sums up perfectly what the OP was aiming at.

I know you like to disagree with most people most of the time, but I simply cannot fathom any rational thinker disagreeing with Pulis on this list.  It matters not what he did before, or what he did after (which was make Sjoke a successful long ball team).

We took years to recover from Pulis having only just really recovering from Osman.  It was nothing to do with his roots, it was all to do with the fact that we were never a long ball team and his first signing (Peter Beadle*) set out his stall straight away.  We were going long ball.  His attitude to the fans was poor, even his own chairman commented that he'd have happily driven him to Pompey for the interview if he'd known.  And then when he was interviewed when coming back to the Gate with Sjoke commented that he was pleased to finally be managing a team that he wanted to.  

The guy came here for the payday and took the piss.  Nothing to do with his Gas roots (i was relatively young at the time so had no idea of his past and I'm sure I wasn't the only one). 

* disclaimer: This isn't a slight on Beadle who was a great pro while he was here.

Can remember a piece of graffiti near the ground which said "Pulis, keep the ball on the grass or you'll be out on your ass".

We knew exactly what his style of football was like  before he joined us and every fan I knew didn't want him here, regardless of whether he's ex-gas or not.

I think the only person that thought he would be good for us was Davison. 

Let me just set the scene. We were at home and I think it was a closeish game, and Russell Osman scores at the Atyeo end. Cue a chorus of booing for the goal. Never heard before, and will never be heard again. Now you understand the depth of feeling for him. The most negative and uninsipiring manager we will ever have.

Exactly, and I think our average attendances when he was in charge dropped the lowest for a long time.

The football under Osman, was indeed very poor.

If I recall though, the board at that time gave him literally no money to spend on players. All free transfers iirc, all on limited wages.

Why the hate for Russell Osman? Was a little before my time but always thought he was well respected? Guess not.

Boring and negative. Just to give you some idea, in 1993/94 we had nine 0-0 draws.

It was like watching someone, watching someone, watching paint dry.

Tquite otball under Osman, was indeed very poor.

If I recall though, the board at that time gave him literally no money to spend on players. All free transfers iirc, all on limited wages.

quite right. A new board had taken over promising to bring Joe Jordan back. Unfortunately for them, during the transition period where they gained control Osman's City won up at Anfield and had their best cup run since 1974, excluding the league cup. They did everything possible to dump on Osman. No money available for transfers and despite being in the 2nd tier, he was having to sign players from non league Gresley Rovers. When the inevitable happened and City lost a couple of games on the bounce, Osman was sacked, on a Saturday when City didn't have a match, and Jordan was reappointed. Suddenly pots of cash were found, but we were relegated under Big Joe. R

Surely "hate" is the wrong word?

Didn't think were good enough maybe, but why would anyone hate a City player?

I agree hate is a bit strong. A strong emotion which has unnecessarily stirred up bad feeling between posters on this very thread. Is there any need really? 

Back to the subject, there are a few players which I wished we hadn't signed or given them new contracts. But hate, no. I keep my hate emotion for things that really bother me.

Surely "hate" is the wrong word?

Didn't think were good enough maybe, but why would anyone hate a City player?

You're right of course, SC-T. It's best summed up by what Red-Robbo said:

"I don't  hate them as individuals,  but I certainly hated them turning out for the club I love."

That Saturday That Saturday afternoon as Ian Baird walked away from the Parkend having squandered yet another chance and then turned and stuck his middle finger up at the City fans there was pretty spectacular as was watching Nicky Hunt decide he didn't want to play for BCFC whilst still on the pitch. I didn't hate either of them but I sure hated seeing wear a shirt I have such an emotional investment in.

No doubt the OP and posters  probably mean the same.

Just proves what I am saying Pulis went from strength to strength, of course the haters could not forgive the Gas tag.

As people have said before:

When discussing Pulis' time as BCFC manager his (excellent) record since is totally irrelevant. He was an absolutely dreadful manager for us and most of us couldn't believe our luck when Portsmouth took him off our hands.

If he'd come in and played the sort of football that BCFC fans were used to at that time then I think most people would have forgotten his Rovers connections. He didn't, and his failure was almost entirely (if not entirely) self-inflicted. His Rovers connections may have provided another stick to beat him with but the biggest stick was, undoubtedly, the fact that he was a crap manager for us.

Archived