IGNORED

Get confident , stupid .

Major Isewater

Will be the message to the players from Cotterill .

BRISTOL City boss Steve Cotterill is urging his players to believe in themselves as they fight to establish a foothold in the Championship.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport#oxhtuGPRfBVq8fMG.99

I really find the BP's interviews with SC contradictory. So many times he is quoted as saying one thing, then seems to contradict himself in the next quote...poor journalism or misquoted?

For example today....Urging his players to have confidence in themselves like he does...like it's an issue. Then later saying that he didn't see any confidence lost or no belief at the Brum game....which is it?

Contradiction seems to happen every week.

For example today....Urging his players to have confidence in themselves like he does...like it's an issue. Then later saying that he didn't see any confidence lost or no belief at the Brum game....which is it?

Contradiction seems to happen every week.

I'm not sure that's a contradiction tbg. It sounds like he's saying that they need to carry on being confident.

I'm not sure that's a contradiction tbg. It sounds like he's saying that they need to carry on being confident.

Maybe...but if so it's quoted very strangely...

Quote...

Speaking ahead of tonight's clash in Lancashire, Cotterill declared: "They need to have the same belief in themselves as I have in them.

"If they can do that, then I'm sure they will be okay. It's easy for me to say that, but it is not so easy for them to believe when they are out there on the pitch.

"But they have to believe in what they are doing, because they will get used to it (the Championship) the longer they play in it.''

OK...I get that...but why mention it, if you don't think it's a problem? If you as a manager think they have that faith...then why mention it?

Then he is quoted as saying....

"In the meantime, they need to start picking up some points, because results are the bestlb_icon1.png way to keep confidence and belief high. They to keep running hard, fighting hard and working hard for one another."

Which suggests results could start to knock confidence or has done.

Then quoted...

Recalling his team's performance against Birmingham at St Andrews on Saturday, he said: "I didn't see any loss of belief out there and I didn't see confidence drop at all.

Which suggests there isn't a problem...

His lasts quotes suggest he and the players have belief in themselves and his system, but just need to get used to the quality of this league.

"Even at 4-2 down we were trying to get back to 4-3, because that is the way we have been built.

"We try and win games and we will do it. When we get that right, it is going to be really good at this level for us.

"But we may have to go through this painful stage first and then come out the other end of it. When we get up to speed in this league, we will be good in it and we will be hungry for more success."

Either way....it reads mainly like he and the players have faith in themselves and the system....which is good to hear.

I get the impression 'confidence in their own ability' rather than the way they are playing maybe the problem...as Cotts alluded to it and now Freeman mentions it...

Midfielder says City are playing the right way but must be clinical.

Luke Freeman has urged his players to believe in their own abilities as they head into a showdown with fellow promoted side Preston North End tonight (7.45pm).

The midfielder says City must take heart from their performances so far this season, even if results have not matched their endeavours to date.

Play-off final winners Preston are next up, a team that pushed City all the way in last season’s Sky Bet League One title race.

“It seems to have been the case for much of this season that we’ve been the better team without getting the result to match,” Freeman said

“We probably haven’t been clinical enough in either box; we need to put away our chances and be ruthless in our own box.

“It’s tough to take when you have good opportunities and more of the game but still take no points.

“We need to believe in ourselves more. The lads need to keep working hard and plugging away, and I’m sure the results will come.

I get the impression 'confidence in their own ability' rather than the way they are playing maybe the problem...as Cotts alluded to it and now Freeman mentions it...

Luke Freeman has urged his players to believe in their own abilities as they head into a showdown with fellow promoted side Preston North End tonight (7.45pm).

The midfielder says City must take heart from their performances so far this season, even if results have not matched their endeavours to date.

Play-off final winners Preston are next up, a team that pushed City all the way in last season’s Sky Bet League One title race.

“It seems to have been the case for much of this season that we’ve been the better team without getting the result to match,” Freeman said

“We probably haven’t been clinical enough in either box; we need to put away our chances and be ruthless in our own box.

“It’s tough to take when you have good opportunities and more of the game but still take no points.

“We need to believe in ourselves more. The lads need to keep working hard and plugging away, and I’m sure the results will come.

Freeman has urged 'his' players.....have I missed a sacking and a player manager appt whilst I've been away this weekend?!

Crikey, we really are good at deeply analysing any SC quote.  

In my day, Alan Dicks would give the local press a quick verdict of the previous match and his hopes for the forthcoming game, plus maybe an update on Keith Fear's injury niggle.  Whilst some of us might have discussed the article(s) in the Railway Tavern, Charfield for half an hour, there was none of this in depth "I take it he means......." or "He's obviously saying........."  or even "It's clear that he/she/they .............." going on.  

Without the world wide interweb thingie, we just took whatever came our way and then turned up at the next match still full of the ridiculous hope that being a City fan dishes up to you for your whole life.

I might have got a bit analytical if I'd been in the same room as Mr Dicks and part of the actual conversation......... but it never was to be.

Whilst I'll admit that I'm the UK's best Behavioural Psychologist working in construction, I'd be totally carp at running the club, so I'll just leave them to it and not bother trying to find 5 angles to every quote.

I love you all xx

Crikey, we really are good at deeply analysing any SC quote.  

In my day, Alan Dicks would give the local press a quick verdict of the previous match and his hopes for the forthcoming game, plus maybe an update on Keith Fear's injury niggle.  Whilst some of us might have discussed the article(s) in the Railway Tavern, Charfield for half an hour, there was none of this in depth "I take it he means......." or "He's obviously saying........."  or even "It's clear that he/she/they .............." going on.  

Without the world wide interweb thingie, we just took whatever came our way and then turned up at the next match still full of the ridiculous hope that being a City fan dishes up to you for your whole life.

I might have got a bit analytical if I'd been in the same room as Mr Dicks and part of the actual conversation......... but it never was to be.

Whilst I'll admit that I'm the UK's best Behavioural Psychologist working in construction, I'd be totally carp at running the club, so I'll just leave them to it and not bother trying to find 5 angles to every quote.

I love you all xx

Blimey....someone analysing someone analysing...I'm liking the cut of your jib Jacko ;-)

These interviews are a complete waste of time don't you think? Same old bollox :-)

Weird how SC in the BP talks about confidence, then Freeman on the main site talks about it...of course it means nothing...they are just just filling pages talking bollox as usual :-) Waste of time doing interviews...down with interviews and interweb thingy's...lets get back to Dicks out and 8 year contracts and relegation to Div 4 again I say ;-) So much simpler back then :-)

Thank **** we don't support Chelsea with the nonsense that the wonderful 'chosen one' has been spouting all season.

The bottom line is they are football managers and although they see exactly what we see after a poor result or performance they cannot say what they really want to say, that is and always should be for the dressing room and the minute things get so bad that they speak truthfully about poor results and performances they lose the dressing room. Wait for the book for the truth :laugh:.

i'm sure Mourinho would love to say, where have last seasons Ivanovich, Hazard or Fabregas gone?, why did I sell Cech?, why did I give Terry another contract?, why did I sign Falcao?, why is Costa so unfit?, why did I sign a player on deadline day that even 2 teams who usually are fighting relegation declined after he was offered to them and on a recommendation and never having seen him play? and maybe why did I take my 18 year old daughter to a red carpet event with her babylons on show?.

Having said all of that with what has happened at Chelsea 3 letters might answer that particular question e g o.

Managers talk bollox and sometimes they have to, just like our politicians, it's the way of the world.

Blimey....someone analysing someone analysing...I'm liking the cut of your jib Jacko ;-)

These interviews are a complete waste of time don't you think? Same old bollox :-)

Weird how SC in the BP talks about confidence, then Freeman on the main site talks about it...of course it means nothing...they are just just filling pages talking bollox as usual :-) Waste of time doing interviews...down with interviews and interweb thingy's...lets get back to Dicks out and 8 year contracts and relegation to Div 4 again I say ;-) So much simpler back then :-)

Good analysis of my analysis of the general analyses.  

Thank **** we don't support Chelsea with the nonsense that the wonderful 'chosen one' has been spouting all season.

Today:

Interviewer: "So Jose , the first season you arrived at Chelsea you said you were 'the special one'

and the second season you came back that you were ' the happy one'

and in your third season how are you now?"

Jose: " I'm special and I'm happy"

Yeh, right.

Oh the irony - Freeman saying that we need to show more quality in front of goal . . . . . . Love little Luke to bits, this this really is a face to palm quote that's bitten him in the arse  :facepalm:

Archived