IGNORED

The posts greatest quote

brizzlelou

Ridiculous quotes abound in football.  A personal favourite is the often heard; "For me Clive, he's hit that too well" - Andy Townsend whenever anyone blazes one into Row Z.

Congratulations on being able to single out one ridiculous quote from Andy Townsend, if I tried to do that I would end with a whole post of almost everything he has said on television!

Not a Post quote, but something often said on radio / TV - "the ball picked up pace off the pitch" - implying that the ball went faster after it bounced.  This flys in the face of the known laws of physics. If it was true, every time the ball bounced it would go faster and faster ad infinitum. When a ball bounces there is friction between the ball and the pitch, which will slow it down, even on a wet pitch.  The ball also contracts slightly on impact and absorbes some energy

That sort of reminds me of the sort of crap I read in contracts. "One calendar month " - as opposed to which other type of month exactly? 

That normally refers to notice periods though and does make sense.  E,g, A months notice from today would be 17th October, a calendar months notice from today would be 31st October.

That normally refers to notice periods though and does make sense.  E,g, A months notice from today would be 17th October, a calendar months notice from today would be 31st October.

No it doesn't. The 31st of October would be "the end of next month" or perhaps even easier to write "44 days".

Truly fantastic! Taken from gossip column in the os. Nice to see city having a sense of humour!

image.jpg

I actually don't find anything wrong with that quote...the final table does represent a fair reflection of the season as a whole.

Factually, it shows who have gained the most points...but does that necessarily mean a team in first place by one point, is better than the team in second place?

Let me explain....football doesn't have a constant....it is flawed in many ways. Most notably referee decisions.

The penalty has got to be the most unfair advantage in football. How many players would have scored from a position in the 18 yard box, when fouled, or a handball led to a goal? To give a one on one with the keeper as reward, is way too much of an advantage and doesn't reflect the goal scoring opportunities made by a team in a game.

So points gained....especially from penalties and freekicks....often don't reflect the quality of a team.

A lot of luck is involved....although you make your own luck....so you have to be in those positions to gain those advantages.

So yes...it's a fair reflection...but not a 'true' reflection. Just a reflection of points gained.

The penalty has got to be the most unfair advantage in football. How many players would have scored from a position in the 18 yard box, when fouled, or a handball led to a goal? To give a one on one with the keeper as reward, is way too much of an advantage and doesn't reflect the goal scoring opportunities made by a team in a game.

You might just have a point here! How about the penalty spot is done away with and it's a direct free kick with nobody else allowed in the box but taken from whatever position the offence was committed in? That way, if it's at the edge of the box or an oblique angle it gives the keeper a better chance?

You might just have a point here! How about the penalty spot is done away with and it's a direct free kick with nobody else allowed in the box but taken from whatever position the offence was committed in? That way, if it's at the edge of the box or an oblique angle it gives the keeper a better chance?

The penalty.... was originally invented for rewarding a player, that had a most probable chance of scoring.

That just isn't the case in most penalties rewarded these days. It doesn't show a true reflection of what has happened in a game.

So many games are won by a penalty decision. Often it doesn't reflect the true performances of a team.

The penalty really does need a rethink imho.

Imho....it should only be given if the ref thinks a goal would have been scored on a one on one scenario.

Direct freekicks would be a more realistic reward.

Am I allowed to say I never understand the "6 pointer" thing? 

THERE ARE ONLY EVER THREE POINTS AVAILABLE PER GAME!

As I understand it the term "6 pointer" applies to the situation where one team starts the game 3 points ahead of the other team.  Thus, if that team wins the match they will then be 6 points ahead.  Alternatively if the lower placed team wins they will draw level, thus effectively saving that 6 point gap.  I think that in this situation, and this situation ONLY, the term "6-pointer" makes sense as the game will either result in the existence of a 6 point gap or the saving of the 6 point gap (ignoring a draw of course).  

Unfortunately it is now basically used to describe any game that seems vaguely important or is between two teams expected to finish close to each other.

I actually don't find anything wrong with that quote...the final table does represent a fair reflection of the season as a whole.

Factually, it shows who have gained the most points...but does that necessarily mean a team in first place by one point, is better than the team in second place?

Let me explain....football doesn't have a constant....it is flawed in many ways. Most notably referee decisions.

So points gained....especially from penalties and freekicks....often don't reflect the quality of a team.

A lot of luck is involved....although you make your own luck....so you have to be in those positions to gain those advantages.

So yes...it's a fair reflection...but not a 'true' reflection. Just a reflection of points gained.

Is a reflection ever ' true ' ?

Ridiculous quotes abound in football.  A personal favourite is the often heard; "For me Clive, he's hit that too well" - Andy Townsend whenever anyone blazes one into Row Z.

Congratulations on being able to single out one ridiculous quote from Andy Townsend, if I tried to do that I would end with a whole post of almost everything he has said on television!

Not for me, Clive.

so it only 'usually' represents a fair reflection? If you're arguing that point then surely it wouldn't be usually but always

Archived