IGNORED

The posts greatest quote

brizzlelou

As I understand it the term "6 pointer" applies to the situation where one team starts the game 3 points ahead of the other team.  Thus, if that team wins the match they will then be 6 points ahead.  Alternatively if the lower placed team wins they will draw level, thus effectively saving that 6 point gap.  I think that in this situation, and this situation ONLY, the term "6-pointer" makes sense as the game will either result in the existence of a 6 point gap or the saving of the 6 point gap (ignoring a draw of course).  

Unfortunately it is now basically used to describe any game that seems vaguely important or is between two teams expected to finish close to each other.

It means the difference in the GAP between the two teams depending on the result. Imagine that they're level before the game. If A wins it goes 3 points ahead of team B, if it loses then it goes three points behind. The difference is six points.

Players giving 110%.

A mathematical impossibility.

When a team has a man sent off, and the remaining 9 outfield players are "giving 110%", this results in 9x110= 990 [unnamed units] of effort.

Hopefully when they start with 10 men, and each is giving the baseline 100%, this translates to 1000 units.  

Clearly giving 110% when a man down is not enough, and the remaining players should be ashamed of their lack of commitment. 111.111% of effort is the bare minimum any manager should be expecting.

After a player has been sent off, so called pundits often say that it's more difficult playing against 10 men.  If this is the case, why don't teams start with 10 men?  There is no rule that you must have 11 players on the pitch. Why not make it really difiicult for the opposition by only starting with 9 men?

After a player has been sent off, so called pundits often say that it's more difficult playing against 10 men.  If this is the case, why don't teams start with 10 men?  There is no rule that you must have 11 players on the pitch. Why not make it really difiicult for the opposition by only starting with 9 men?

This Ron Atkinson special is along similar lines...

"Now Manchester United are 2-1 down on aggregate they are in a better position than when they started the game at 1-1."

That also reminds me that leading 2-0 is a dangerous score. Why?

they set their stall out early doors gets me everytime.................its a football match not a bleeding car boot sale!!!

The keeper will appreciate that early touch, especially with the greasy surface from the overnight rain as they are playing left to right as we look from our gantry position.

There's another! How do you make your own luck?

luck
lʌk/
noun
noun: luck
  1. 1.
    success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

Quiet easily.... by being in the right place to allow that luck to happen. If you're not in the penalty box you're not going to ever get a penalty.

In other words....the more proficient you are, the greater your chances of that luck happening.

Quiet easily.... by being in the right place to allow that luck to happen. If you're not in the penalty box you're not going to ever get a penalty.

In other words....the more proficient you are, the greater your chances of that luck happening.

It's not luck if you're in the right place because you've chosen to be there. The outcome is influenced by your own deliberate actions. Luck is something that happens purely by chance.

It's not luck if you're in the right place because you've chosen to be there. The outcome is influenced by your own deliberate actions. Luck is something that happens purely by chance.

if you're in the box and a cross comes in which is nowhere near you but takes a few deflections and your pushed in the back and you trip over and it strikes your bounce and goes in,surely that's luck

Referees " letting the game flow" is one I've never understood. What are they supposed to do, turn a blind eye to infringements, that would go down well with crowds and managers up and down the land wouldn't it?

Nothing wrong with that one. Some games you clamp down on infringements, some you 'let it flow'. Depends on the players and some refs read it a lot better than others. It's pretty commonly used.

I have noticed a lot of commentators talking like the game is over when a team gets a 2 goal lead around the 80th minute, like the other team can't possibly score late goals to get back in it. it seems a strange thing to do, especially as so few games finish in 90 minutes these days.

Of course... that's the point of what we are talking about.

If I don't buy a lottery ticket...i'm never going to have the luck of the reward of winning.

The same in football...if i'm not in the box...I'm never going to win a penalty.

Simple as that.

I get where you're coming from Spudski, but don't see how you're making any luck. The luck bit is separate. You're just changing the circumstances in which luck may or may not happen. You might decide to hang outside the penalty area rather than inside. You're probably less likely to win a penalty for example but this might drag a defender out of position who then inadvertently deflects the ball in. Everything you do on a football pitch may result in a fortunate or unfortunate outcome. Just don't really get what making your own luck actually means.

In regards to luck, someone hits the crossbar and the commentator will say it's poor luck. It's not, it's poor finishing. The player has missed the target. When teams are unlucky not to win as they've had 10 shots on target, is that again not down to bad finishing/good goalkeeping, rather than luck? 

I get where you're coming from Spudski, but don't see how you're making any luck. The luck bit is separate. You're just changing the circumstances in which luck may or may not happen. You might decide to hang outside the penalty area rather than inside. You're probably less likely to win a penalty for example but this might drag a defender out of position who then inadvertently deflects the ball in. Everything you do on a football pitch may result in a fortunate or unfortunate outcome. Just don't really get what making your own luck actually means.

In regards to luck, someone hits the crossbar and the commentator will say it's poor luck. It's not, it's poor finishing. The player has missed the target. When teams are unlucky not to win as they've had 10 shots on target, is that again not down to bad finishing/good goalkeeping, rather than luck? 

With respect, think we're getting a tad pedantic here.

The gist is...if you play well and get in the right positions....as in and around the box, then scoring a goal with luck involved, is more likely to happen.

There is a famous quote by the golfer Gary Player.....who when told he was a lucky golfer, his response was...'funny that, the harder I train, the luckier I get'.

You've got to be in the right positions....think We'll call it a day here, as we'll end up going round in circles ;-)

Check out 'luck and skill untangled in sports'....it makes a lot of sense.

Archived