IGNORED

Wash Your Mouth Out (Merged)

HLR

Seems to fly in the face of what Steve Cottrell is asking for from the fans against reading.

I know you can make a noise without swearing.... But it's a bit of a problem when Come on you reds is about the only chant with no swearing in it.

I've far more of an issue with people who appear to be quite aggressive - foaming at the mouth, red faced and on the verge of out-of-control.

Swearing doesn't worry me or my children.  Adults who look like they are about to lose self-control because they can't handle a perceived mistake by the ref are the issue. 

I've far more of an issue with people who appear to be quite aggressive - foaming at the mouth, red faced and on the verge of out-of-control.

Swearing doesn't worry me or my children.  Adults who look like they are about to lose self-control because they can't handle a perceived mistake by the ref are the issue. 

That's a bit harsh on SC. He's a passionate bloke.

i don't just shout at swear words for the fun of it. But if I get heated a for **** sakes comes out or something like that. It's a reaction and I think for the most part I'm drowned out by others doing the same type of thing at those moments. I am sure I could stop all together but it pops out through passion. I think that's understandable and I can't always be conscious of a child sitting 3 rows behind me. If there is one next to me easier to tone it down but other than that, im going to enjoy my experience. 

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/city-reiterate-no-swearing-policy-2696512.aspxhttp://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/city-reiterate-no-swearing-policy-2696512.aspx

Sometimes I do wonder whether people at the club understand what It is like to be a football fan of a club you are whole heartedly passionate for....

I swear sometimes at football if angry/passionate but would not swear in family section or around kids. So I'm not really sure your dig at the club is fair. Surely as grown ups you would appreciate what's acceptable and what's not.

To be fair they are only saying watch it in the Family areas, which I think is fair enough

I used to sit with my niece in the family section of the Lower Dolman:  I recall the NY day win over Cardiff, and giving Craig Bellamy a whole heap of abuse for no reason other than just because.  I suspect my niece may have learned a whole new set of words, and also saw a side of her uncle she may not previously have thought existed.  Possibly not my proudest uncular moment.

kinnel....the amount of kids I hear swearing....more than the adults tbf.

Is this also going to apply to players and coaching staff...it should do...what's the difference. Flint going off on one in front of the family enclosure....what's the difference?

Dare someone to report a player or coaching staff to a steward and see what happens ;-)

Seems to fly in the face of what Steve Cottrell is asking for from the fans against reading.

I know you can make a noise without swearing.... But it's a bit of a problem when Come on you reds is about the only chant with no swearing in it.

Apart from;-

- Keep the red flag flying high

- Come on city, come on city, come on city, come on

- I am a cider drinker

- C I T Y

- red army

....and that's just off the top of my head.

Hearing people swear at football has always been part of the fun for my son when he's gone, it's also almost obligatory if he wants to join in the songs. He was told before the first match that there would be swearing and that what is said at football stays at football.

All kids know the swear words by the time they are at school anyway, they just know not to repeat it when adults are around.

Apart from;-

- I am a cider drinker

- C I T Y

- red army

I had been about to post a similar list off the top of my head when I saw yours.

Swearing at football is always going to happen, requesting for people in the family section to be mindful is perfectly reasonable and that's how I took the whole article to be.

I had been about to post a similar list off the top of my head when I saw yours.

Swearing at football is always going to happen, requesting for people in the family section to be mindful is perfectly reasonable and that's how I took the whole article to be.

I could not agree more. I actually come from a strict Christian family and go to games with my dad and, until he died, my Grandad, who was a church minister - therefore swearing has never personally featured in my matchday experience! I've still managed to sing plenty of songs over the years though! However that's not to say people shouldn't swear at football - each to their own. Just not in the family section!

Grimsby away, early 1990s:  some copper came on to the away terrace and announced to the few hundred there that we could sing whatever we wanted but any swearing and he would chuck that person out.  He then turned his back to the crowd, and got multiple F-offs from all corners.  He turned back around, and you could see in his eyes that he realised he had no hope of arresting everyone.

Grimsby away, early 1990s:  some copper came on to the away terrace and announced to the few hundred there that we could sing whatever we wanted but any swearing and he would chuck that person out.  He then turned his back to the crowd, and got multiple F-offs from all corners.  He turned back around, and you could see in his eyes that he realised he had no hope of arresting everyone.

I remember once in the east end an over excited copper gave me an ear bashing for giving the opposition keeper the bird as he ran towards his goal. 

I laughed and asked him if he'd ever been to a football match before to which point a group around me gave him the old W******, W******, W******* treatment.

His sergeant pulled him back and told him to calm down. 

I have nothing against swearing at football, I am often joining in as I do with most chants, requesting people to be more mindful in the family are is perfectly reasonable though, this is just being used as a shit excuse to have a go at the club

Although not offended by swearing if you see a child near you I think it is only decent to at least tone it down a bit. Remember one game as a kid with my old man where the bloke in front swore for the entire game and every time he did he turned around and apologised.  Must have said sorry about 100 times that game.

Apart from;-

Too political

We all love City, but that is just disgusting

- I am a cider drinker

Promotes alcohol

- C I T Y

Discriminatory against lower case letters

- red army

Too political

THINK OF THE CHILDREN MAN!!!!!

Some people never never swear. Some swear occasionally. Some use a swear word in every sentence. It doesn't really matter, up to a point, as long as people respect others. Singing "My old man said be a Rovers fan, I said **** of ******* you're a ****" may be fun for those who swear all the time, but it ignores those in the rest of the ground who don't swear all the time and have children with them. Some say swearing is part of the football experience, but I'd say it's due to a lack of a full vocabulary. The creative, humorous songs have far more affect. 

If you're taking your kids to the football they're going to hear swearing.  It's not a big deal, tell them not to repeat it and then stop whinging about it.  The precious little flowers are going to face worse in life I promise you.

It's disappointing the degree to which the club seem determined to sanitise the game.  They can **** right off.

Some people never never swear. Some swear occasionally. Some use a swear word in every sentence. It doesn't really matter, up to a point, as long as people respect others. Singing "My old man said be a Rovers fan, I said **** of ******* you're a ****" may be fun for those who swear all the time, but it ignores those in the rest of the ground who don't swear all the time and have children with them. Some say swearing is part of the football experience, but I'd say it's due to a lack of a full vocabulary. The creative, humorous songs have far more affect. 

Affect or effect.....both are just words.

Archived