IGNORED

Paul Groves

GrahamC

It could be the case. But will Groves and the other fella be here after Cotterill is gone so someone can seamlessly slip into the role? I doubt it.

Many may have thought that about Pemberton....

The manager has to trust those people who work for him or who helps develop the players that ultimately may come under his full control, so whether or not they stay will be wholly down to whoever ultimately replaces Cotterill whenever the time comes.

Do you seriously think this is a good thing....having one man dictate who all the coaching staff are in the Academy?

Managers come and go....where is the long term future?

This...imho...is not a good idea. Before you know it...you have a dictatorship. One man shouldn't be controlling the whole of the Clubs playing structure.

Just goes to show we have no 'Football people' in control here...just businessman playing at being football Club owners.

As an example....you only have to look at what Moyes did when he moved into Man Utd....brought in all 'his' staff....from the moment he did that, all the coach's said he would fail...as it alienates you as them and us.

Honestly, I don't think it a bad thing. I don't think we have a dictatorship - we have a fella acting with the authority of the board: a very different thing. Remember the fractious interviews about transfer policy and hints from SC about disagreements from above, even just our summer transfer window.... I'm not at all convinced that the board are pandering to his every whim. What is it, two weeks since people were worrying SC may walk?!

SC is the one footballing man the club have entrusted with its most precious - the first team. If we're talking about a dictatorship is that not 'Football people' in control? What's KB's role in this anyway and why is that ignored? Frankly if he's not ultimate say on appointments to the academy what the hell is the remit of a DoF?

Besides, as much as we may want to protect against it it is absolutely typical that any new incoming manager will expect to bring their own backroom staff. I actually support that also to give them the best chance of integrating, settling and hitting the ground running. Perhaps not necessarily needed at Academy level but as a general evil I think its a losing battle anyway.

Another chance to have a dig at the bloke. I think he's earnt his right to have our respect and patience with last season's achievements.

It's still only September...

The point being made by most is that the academy should be a separate entity to the first team to provide continuity if there's a manager change.

People are uneasy with the first team manager seemingly having influence over big appointments at the club when in theory he could go at any time. 

Great post,Jobs for the boys again this will continue to happen because the hierarchy are lazy recruiters .

We will never learn because the guys SC is bring in are the cheap option and will only say YES .

Wade Elliot is doing fantastic from what I hear from alot of people,He has the boys playing well plus the lads are enjoying turning up to the club for a change .

So, offering a "job for the boys" to old mate Wade when he brought him in on loan helped us stave off relegation, offering Wade a 1 year contract and making him captain helped us win the double, offering Wade the role with the U21s appears to be working out fine at the moment.............sort of blows your conspiracy theories right out the window

All managers would prefer to bring in their own people.....however, Burt was already here as DOF and SC was happy for John pemberton to continue as head coach.

So other than maybe Groves, (Brookes more than likely being recommended by Groves) who else has the wicked SC brought into the club to "build his empire"  and surround himself with "yes" men?

If this would have happend during last season, nobody would have batted an eyelid

Don't waste your time RR - as Tyler Swift said, haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

My daughters would be so proud of me, quoting the great one on OTIB

Edit - there's a glitch here, I was going to reply to Lew earlier saying pretty much the same thing, but never got round to it - but when I replied to Red Raw I couldn't delete the original comment, despite me closing down the site and coming back on....anyone else getting this?

Don't waste your time RR - as Tyler Swift said, haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

Edit - there's a glitch here, I was going to reply to Lew earlier saying pretty much the same thing, but never got round to it - but when I replied to Red Raw I couldn't delete the original comment, despite me closing down the site and coming back on....anyone else getting this?

The alledged singer is going to sponsor 45 mins of football at Ashton Gate , the Swift Half.

On my mobile phone, yes. Not on the laptop.

Another chance to have a dig at the bloke. I think he's earnt his right to have our respect and patience with last season's achievements.

It's still only September...

I'm certainly not blaming SC, he's within his rights to bring in who he wants. I think it's naive from our board to let the manager dictate the whole setup down to the youngsters. What if SC gets fired or resigns? We're back to square one again. It's short-sighted and I'm frustrated that we never seem to learn lessons at this club.

I'm certainly not blaming SC, he's within his rights to bring in who he wants. I think it's naive from our board to let the manager dictate the whole setup down to the youngsters. What if SC gets fired or resigns? We're back to square one again. It's short-sighted and I'm frustrated that we never seem to learn lessons at this club.

Your making a massive assumption that SC instigated or was even involved in this recruitment process.....yes, they're paths have crossed in the past but please show me the evidence that SC dictated who we sack or sign up the the acadamy coaching staff.

so, you chose to completely ignore the link within the thread that showed the official news article about the groves appointment back in August.......just to have an unwarranted pop at the media team

Be interested to see where that is then.

I've not seen a single interview with him and having looked back through the news section up until when it was announced Carlos Anton was leaving, I can't find this article, only a mention of him yesterday re Shaun Brooks.

As previously stated the website coverage of the Academy is shite, with no features on the youngsters and minimal information.

Half the arguments on this forum, are down to people not having a clue as to who does what at this Club.

Not their problem...as the Club put very little detailed information out their.

Unless you know people who work their or are connected to the Club...then most won't have a clue....which is a shame...but I'm sure that's how the Club want it.

I think Graham C has a very valid point...the website for both BCFC and the Academy are shocking.

"This is what old school managers do! they surround themselves with familiar faces so they have support when its going wrong"

"So is this a negative? I'd argue that it is very much so a positive. A supporting team working in one direction sounds much better than a potentially fractured one when/if the chips are down."

It's more understandable that at first team level the manager will appoint someone he has worked with before as his assistant as he's working closely with that person day-to-day . But the manager is not working with the academy and it should be complete out of his influence. Otherwise there is no continuity within it and you'll end up with a "really good friend" of his being handed the post, and then that "really good friend" handing his "really good friend" a post.  

Fair points, but in my opinion the academy exists to serve the club and the manager. It should absolutely be within his remit because if it doesn't serve his needs and purposes then the cycle of releasing youngsters is inevitable. Again, what is KBs role? If it is job for mates is the problem not at his door than anyone else's? 

I understand the point about continuity. Obviously in an ideal world, but for me football doesn't exist within that and whilst we're that far away from a tier 1 club (reputationally I mean) we should never be appointing someone based on continuity. I say this because if we feel they'll stay long term they are possibly unambitious or possibly not of the requisite quality. Just as risky as 'jobs for mates'? Maybe. 

In any case I'm not sure right now turnover of staff is a problem. Bristol is cushty, the club is stable and whilst ambitious, unorganised. It's been bloody easy to coast  at this club and use it to top up a pension for not much sweat. Until we can rid this mentality I see more dangers in someone being part of the furniture than otherwise. Sure that may change if our club can prevent this from happening  

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advocate PJ coming in as chief scout as an example, but these are football men being brought in. I think job for mates is a presumption and I think given the way SC has handled himself, released players, only brought in a couple of appointments during his whole time here, it's a damn unfair presumption and equally unfair to use it as a sword. 

Archived