IGNORED

Bargains

Vincent Vega

Interesting that Cotterill has disclosed the undisclosed fees....  I know it's a new season and different budgets, but I don't think this has ever been done before with us.  Lot's of speculation but nothing confirmed to say if that speculation is wild or not.

I think it's to back up his stance of not being held to ransom over inflated prices. He's saying look at who we got for relatively little money. He, and maybe the board, probably expected to be able to do the same this season and were met with a brick wall, Kodjia aside. 

Not sure where our attempts at Gayle/Grey fit into this though. Makes them look even more of a panic buy than a true statement of intent. 

I think it's to back up his stance of not being held to ransom over inflated prices. He's saying look at who we got for relatively little money. He, and maybe the board, probably expected to be able to do the same this season and were met with a brick wall, Kodjia aside. 

Not sure where our attempts at Gayle/Grey fit into this though. Makes them look even more of a panic buy than a true statement of intent. 

The Grey and Gayle ones I think were released by the selling clubs to encourage other bids.  I don't think for a second that we released those figures.  In fact I don't think there was any official line on Grey at all, was there?  Just undenied media speculation.

The Grey and Gayle ones I think were released by the selling clubs to encourage other bids.  I don't think for a second that we released those figures.  In fact I don't think there was any official line on Grey at all, was there?  Just undenied media speculation.

Gray I suspect was definitely more than media speculation.

How about this as a possible situation.

Fee agreed, increased wages agreed, however, player's agent's very greedy fee not agreed.

So a redirection by the agent to another interested club "with better prospects" and a generous parachute payments budget to dip into to meet the agent's own demands.

Pure speculation of course.

And as an aside I see that Gray has a hamstring injury atm.

Hey fella...just interested as to what you and others think is 'official'?

Personally, I don't believe anything written on BCFC anymore than I do the BP or other media outlets.

Everything 'released' generally has some form of agenda behind it...or is just dumbed down words to fill up space.

Anything from the club, on the website, or having a named source rather than the usual "a source within the club says.....".  Gayle I see as confirmed because Cotts was asked about the deal on the radio and answered to confirm it was there (though he didn't mention the fee) , but I don't recall him ever saying anything about Grey, and certainly not about the price.

Great that these 3 were all so cheap, fantastic scouting and player choosing last summer. Which begs the question if Cotts is so happy about these sorts of signings being cheap why the **** didn't he do it this summer?! There are players in League 1 that would've been great additions. I'm still sticking with my hunch that Cotts simply aimed too high. Dack, Bradshaw and Kasim I would've taken 100%, combined wouldn't have cost as much as Gayle.

Anything from the club, on the website, or having a named source rather than the usual "a source within the club says.....".  Gayle I see as confirmed because Cotts was asked about the deal on the radio and answered to confirm it was there (though he didn't mention the fee) , but I don't recall him ever saying anything about Grey, and certainly not about the price.

That's how I remember it too, Steve

However, without dragging this into another ITK debate, I'm led to believe that the deal was more than speculation 

That's how I remember it too, Steve

However, without dragging this into another ITK debate, I'm led to believe that the deal was more than speculation 

I can tell you it was more than speculation and I'm not ITK at all.

after one of the games Radio Bristol spoke to SL and he said we offered "a very good package to him but Burnley offered more"

after one of the games Radio Bristol spoke to SL and he said we offered "a very good package to him but Burnley offered more"

Proof indeed that Burnley is more attractive to live in than Bristol and that the lad chose them for footballing reasons... Shedloads !

Proof indeed that Burnley is more attractive to live in than Bristol and that the lad chose them for footballing reasons... Shedloads !

More what though, may not necessarily have been money. More prospects, more first team football, more time with hs family? 

Anyway it didn't happen.

Freeman 500k

Kory 300k

Ayling 175k

Last seasons bargains anyway, not seen these figures anywhere before

Depends how you define 'bargain'. They were great last season and got us up but £1 million on 3 players is big bucks at L1 level and you can add Agard to that who was approx £650k.

If they aren't good enough for C'ship level - and the jury is obviously still out on that one - then not sure they are the bargains we may have thought they were. Let's hope they settle down in the league.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't speculation regarding Andre Gray. Everything was agreed between the two clubs but he turned down our personal terms.

Gray confirmed this when he signed for Burnley.

Depends how you define 'bargain'. They were great last season and got us up but £1 million on 3 players is big bucks at L1 level and you can add Agard to that who was approx £650k.

If they aren't good enough for C'ship level - and the jury is obviously still out on that one - then not sure they are the bargains we may have thought they were. Let's hope they settle down in the league.

Think these 3 will be fine imo, as for Agard he must have done something behind the scenes to upset Cotts 

Cotterill is starting to get on my nerves a bit.  Why he is coming out and saying all this now?  It's as if he is intentionally dropping reminders of the good things he has done because we have been crap the last few games.

I doubt the club are going to be very happy with this. Plonker!

Cotterill is starting to get on my nerves a bit.  Why he is coming out and saying all this now?  It's as if he is intentionally dropping reminders of the good things he has done because we have been crap the last few games.

I doubt the club are going to be very happy with this. Plonker!

Think about it...

That's exactly what he's doing. The fact he's going through "Steve Cotterill's Best All-Time Bargain Signings" in that interview just rubs salt in the wound after such a disasterous summer.

Where were your bargain signings this summer, Steve? Or any signings for that matter as I would assume Kodjia was watched by Burt and his scouts?

That's exactly what he's doing. The fact he's going through "Steve Cotterill's Best All-Time Bargain Signings" in that interview just rubs salt in the wound after such a disasterous summer.

Where were your bargain signings this summer, Steve? Or any signings for that matter as I would assume Kodjia was watched by Burt and his scouts?

Mr Anti Steve Cotterill rears his head again...... 

I'm pretty sure it wasn't speculation regarding Andre Gray. Everything was agreed between the two clubs but he turned down our personal terms.

Gray confirmed this when he signed for Burnley.

He didn't want to come to Bristol City...it was the media who said he couldn't agree personal terms...we actually offered more than what Burnley offered.

Sean Dyche and Burnley FC were the main draw for Gray...not personal terms.

Mr Anti Steve Cotterill rears his head again...... 

Anti Steve Cotterill, or the truth?

SC has been on the whole a great manager for us. But its no secret that he is prone to making stupid comments in the press that don't come across well. This little rant is the latest.

Like many of us suspected ages a go. It will be interesting to see what he's like on a bad run and we are seeing a taste of that now.

Interesting that Cotterill has disclosed the undisclosed fees....  I know it's a new season and different budgets, but I don't think this has ever been done before with us.  Lot's of speculation but nothing confirmed to say if that speculation is wild or not.

He did this in a phone interview with Sky last season when he said he was fed up with opposition managers (Karl Robinson, cough, cough) going on about how much we'd spent.

He also said that Ayling was £190k, Agard was £700k and that the sale of Baldock covered all our spend.

He didn't want to come to Bristol City...it was the media who said he couldn't agree personal terms...we actually offered more than what Burnley offered.

Sean Dyche and Burnley FC were the main draw for Gray...not personal terms.

These two comments cannot both be correct unless SL was stating that Burnley offered more 'boots' or 'food vouchers'.

If it's a straight choice and SL did say what is above (I see no reason for him to lie) then spud must be wrong on this one.....

These two comments cannot both be correct unless SL was stating that Burnley offered more 'boots' or 'food vouchers'.

If it's a straight choice and SL did say what is above (I see no reason for him to lie) then spud must be wrong on this one.....

'Package' doesn't always mean money. Burnley did offer more...in terms of 'whole package'. We offered more wages.

Archived